Author Topic: 18/09/19  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
18/09/19
« on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 02:16:39 »
Looks very likely the deadline for registering Kefalonia (and Ithaka) property on the new national register will be extended to 18 December.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 18/09/19
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 07:55:27 »
Live facial recognition surveillance 'must stop'

UK police and companies must stop using live facial recognition for public surveillance, a letter from politicians and campaigners has said.

It involves faces captured on CCTV being checked in real time against watch lists, often compiled by police.

Privacy campaigners say it is inaccurate, intrusive and infringes on an individual's right to privacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49726101

Offline disco69

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 10:42:11 »
Live facial recognition surveillance 'must stop'

UK police and companies must stop using live facial recognition for public surveillance, a letter from politicians and campaigners has said.

It involves faces captured on CCTV being checked in real time against watch lists, often compiled by police.

Privacy campaigners say it is inaccurate, intrusive and infringes on an individual's right to privacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49726101

Are these privacy campaigners saught after criminals ?? :dunno:

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 11:51:40 »

no, but they are possibly sought after,  :lol:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 16:04:08 »

There's a 53.84% chance they are - but that's according to facial recognition software  ;)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 20:54:36 »

no, but they are possibly sought after,  :lol:

The question is what happens with the data.  Will a super-database be constructed.  Facial data could easily be correlated with passports/driving licences.  Do we want the government to know where we are and where we go - and possibly who with?  :blink:   If (big if)  there were enough controls to ensure it was only used for tracking crims then it might become acceptable.  Can we trust the reassurances we would be given??!  :hmm:

Tony

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 @ 22:28:24 »
Can we trust the reassurances we would be given??!
Probably not! nor could they give any assurance that hackers would not target and gain access to data, the problem is, various companies already have sensitive information about you, if you fly into  Tenerife, your fingerprints are taken, imagine what a hacker could do with those!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 19 September, 2019 @ 02:33:23 »
Nowt so strange as folk...

Bleating noisily about the outrage of facial recognition software and unregulated database construction - "it's an outrage, I don't want them knowing where I go!"

Whilst wandering around with a mobile phone in their pocket, and paying for everything with a bank card

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 19 September, 2019 @ 21:18:11 »
Nowt so strange as folk...

Bleating noisily about the outrage of facial recognition software and unregulated database construction - "it's an outrage, I don't want them knowing where I go!"

Whilst wandering around with a mobile phone in their pocket, and paying for everything with a bank card
My point entirely.  At least I don't have my location on or use FB.  Yup and Maik will remind us that location works when it's switched off!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 20 September, 2019 @ 03:43:53 »
Just wondering whether people (or rather, their cars) can be tracked via car satnav. Haven't read it's possible but haven't read it's not.

Mostly this stuff is to do with money so just wondering when facial recognition will be used for targetted ads: imagine you're walking down the street when the electronic billboard reads, "Hey, Joe Bloggs, buy a 500 ml bottle of Head 'n' Shoulders for your itchy scalp and get a trial bottle of Clap Killer free."

Hey ho, the joys!

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 20 September, 2019 @ 12:16:19 »
Just wondering whether people (or rather, their cars) can be tracked via car satnav. Haven't read it's possible but haven't read it's not.
If you have a basic tomtom or garmin satnav that simply receives gps signals, you cannot be tracked, but if you use data or wifi, or your phone as a satnav, then yes, you can be tracked.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, 22 September, 2019 @ 16:27:30 »
If you have a basic tomtom or garmin satnav that simply receives gps signals, you cannot be tracked, but if you use data or wifi, or your phone as a satnav, then yes, you can be tracked.
And you can hook your satnav up to your mobile for live traffic data - maybe that's what expat meant!  :hi:

Tony

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, 22 September, 2019 @ 20:23:26 »
And you can hook your satnav up to your mobile for live traffic data - maybe that's what expat meant!  :hi:
Not quite! if you have the basic tomtom (poverty version) as i have, it cannot use the mobile for live traffic info, it simply relies on its inbuilt map, plus gps feed, exactly the same as my marine gps plotter, it cannot be tracked, only when you hook up your satnav to your phone, it can be tracked. i cover both bases, i wear a tinfoil hat at all times! :)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, 24 September, 2019 @ 17:44:19 »
Not quite! if you have the basic tomtom (poverty version) as i have, it cannot use the mobile for live traffic info, it simply relies on its inbuilt map, plus gps feed, exactly the same as my marine gps plotter, it cannot be tracked, only when you hook up your satnav to your phone, it can be tracked. i cover both bases, i wear a tinfoil hat at all times! :)
Good idea!  :btu:

Tony