Author Topic: 02/03/14  (Read 2324 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
02/03/14
« on: Sunday, 02 March, 2014 @ 18:41:46 »
Just been looking at buying a new PSU (power supply unit) for a PC I'm putting together and, of course, one of the great joys of living here is the wide variety of choice at very reasonable prices (NOT). Multidrama have a small choice of cheap and nasty PSUs, different brands quite possibly all made by the same parent company. Kotsovolos have a couple of cheapo ones and a few way above what I need to pay.

What's wrong with the cheapo ones? Well, things may have changed but, back in 2012 Hantol were selling PSUs 'with Power Factor Correction' (PFC) at a too-good-to-be-true price. The PFC unit turned out to be a small lump of concrete added to make up the weight. Perhaps they'd realised that stuffing a bit of rolled up cardboard in to a tin box didn't really work.

Not all cheapo PSUs are that bad but it pays to do a bit of research. The hunt continues.

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
Re: 02/03/14
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 03 March, 2014 @ 12:24:57 »
Mike have you tied Amazon? If you want to source for the UK I will be back next month and will gladly bring the item back with me. :)
Always look on the bright side of life.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 02/03/14
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 03 March, 2014 @ 14:52:56 »
Thanks, Bell, that's a very kind offer!

I usually check on Amazon and ebuyer as they have a good stock and good prices (and I like to read the buyers' reviews on Amazon!), then see what I can find over here. I've still got an Amazon gift voucher a friend sent for my birthday so that'll bring the cost of a decent one down to about the cost of a cheapo one here. Looks like Amazon's p&p for it is about £5.50 to Greece so I'll give that a try, it'll take a bit longer than nipping in to Argostoli (probably take twice the time Amazon reckon) but still costs less than the petrol.

Save a space in your car... just in case!