Author Topic: This is Greece  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
This is Greece
« on: Monday, 14 April, 2014 @ 17:43:46 »
Cafe in Greek Parliament fined for breaking anti-smoking law

The owner of the cafe in Greece’s Parliament has been fined 600 euros for breaking the anti-smoking law.

A check revealed that the cafe did not have a complaints book where non-smokers could record instances of people smoking in the establishment.

The check by health and safety officers from Attica’s regional authority was ordered after complaints about smoking at the cafe.

The government pledged recently to toughen up checks on whether stores are abiding by the anti-smoking law, which has been effective since September 2010.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_14/04/2014_538976

:cig:

Offline Alexandra

• Participant
Re: This is Greece
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 @ 21:55:14 »
Smoking ban "effective" since 2010,  he says.  Thanks, Maik, I needed a good laugh today! :rofl:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 @ 22:07:56 »
Hi Alexandra - looks like a big  :welcome: is in order here - and it seems you've got the hang of the place already!!!.  If you haven't found it yet there's plenty for Kefalonia-philes both in the forum and on the site generally.

As for the Vouli - no fire without smoke, as they er.... say.   :blink:

Tony

Offline Alexandra

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 17 April, 2014 @ 18:47:55 »
Hi to you, and thanks for the welcome.  Am happy to be in such esteemed  company!

Offline kefman

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 17 April, 2014 @ 22:54:16 »
I used to think that the smoking ban was a bit better policed in Athens as opposed to the islands but was in a snack bar not 100m from the Vouli a few weeks ago and noticed this guys starting to roll a cigarette (I think). Anyway just as he was lighting it in came 3 policemen and I thought yes he will get done but low and behold do the 3 police not just light up. So one minute I am in a nice smoke free atmosphere and the next I am being polluted by 4 smokers. Needless to say we did not hang around.

Offline argo

• Forum Fan
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 18 April, 2014 @ 00:23:03 »
I realised there is no hope when I sat in the Premier and Mr Parisi drives up outside in  his gas guzzling Mercedes,parks it on a 'no parking ' sign , strolls in, parks his rear ( his cronies all grovelling around him.) Guess what he did next - lights up a cigarette !!! Well they all did. Not one person said a word, well that's no surprise. I went off Kefalona at that point, silly I know, to get upset/annoyed by something that in the big picture is trivial. However if the person who s supposed to be upholding the so called 'no smoking' law flaunts it in the face of all insundry why the hell will anyone else do the  'right thing'. Not just regarding smoking it trickles done through everything in a small socety.Never thought I would say it but I was relieved to get back to the UK, where rules are not so blatantly flouted !!!