Author Topic: Kefalonia airport pictures from 1981  (Read 7179 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
Kefalonia airport pictures from 1981
« on: Friday, 06 April, 2018 @ 11:27:14 »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Kefalonia airport pictures from 1981
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 07 April, 2018 @ 14:49:46 »
Triffic pics!  :btu:

We first went in 85 when the new airport was already running, but we heard stories. Thrse are the first pics I've seen, though.

Tony

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 08 April, 2018 @ 08:16:50 »

We first went in 85 when the new airport was already running, but we heard stories. Thrse are the first pics I've seen, though.

Tony

Tony, if you went to Kef in '85, then that would be the old airport 'terminal'. I must say it looks a lot smarter in that picture than it did when I first visited in '92. The new terminal building had been built for several years, but did not open due to local opposition to supposed night flights. We would collect our cases from a concrete plinth and look across at the new building completely unused!

Offline johnt7959

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 08 April, 2018 @ 08:50:20 »
When was the "new terminal building" first used?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 08 April, 2018 @ 12:41:00 »

Tony

Tony, if you went to Kef in '85, then that would be the old airport 'terminal'. I must say it looks a lot smarter in that picture than it did when I first visited in '92. The new terminal building had been built for several years, but did not open due to local opposition to supposed night flights. We would collect our cases from a concrete plinth and look across at the new building completely unused!

Oops Roger, I'd like to say that was a slip of the finger on a mobile keyboard but it was a slip of the brain. We first went in 95!

:oops:

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 08 April, 2018 @ 22:11:12 »
We went in 1992  for the first time and the waiting area was a row of plastic seats out in the street. I don't know what happened if it rained ?To collect luggage on arrival you waited in a large shed if you were fit and able you jumped onto the trolley and rummaged for your cases. We would send the youngsters for them and they thought it was great fun. You then proceeded to passport control which usually was a very large chap smoking a smelly Greek fag and sat precariously on an old oil drum. For years the new airport sat there deserted whilst what seemed like Fred Karno's circus performed next to it. All good fun!!!Didn't seem half as good when the new building finally opened. When was that?

Edit: Colleywobble's piccies added
« Last Edit: Sunday, 08 April, 2018 @ 22:47:23 by Maik »

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 09 April, 2018 @ 08:46:49 »
When was the "new terminal building" first used?

It had opened by our visit in '94, but I think that was September, so it could have been earlier that season.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Monday, 09 April, 2018 @ 21:42:46 »
Grest pics Colley! You obviously started your hols the way you wanted to carry on. At least t you can get a cold beer in Arrivals now!

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 10 April, 2018 @ 18:14:06 »
Just rooted out some more photos from earlier, 1992 in fact showing how it was when departing .Whilst on the topic of old photos I have included with Maik's help I might add two of the road to Sami before it was upgraded. It was quite a ride in those days but our fiat Panda never made a cough. She was white rather than black by the time we got over to Sami. Always has been my favourite ride especially when you reach the top and see that amazing view beyond Sami!!

Edit: Colleywobble's piccies added
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 10 April, 2018 @ 18:16:07 by Maik »

Offline Annie P

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 11 April, 2018 @ 08:18:37 »
We did that drive to Sami from Katelios the first time we ever went in about '95, it was totally amazing as we did not know what to expect.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 11 April, 2018 @ 08:36:40 »
Just rooted out some more photos from earlier, 1992 in fact showing how it was when departing .Whilst on the topic of old photos I have included with Maik's help I might add two of the road to Sami before it was upgraded. It was quite a ride in those days but our fiat Panda never made a cough. She was white rather than black by the time we got over to Sami. Always has been my favourite ride especially when you reach the top and see that amazing view beyond Sami!!

The top photo actually shows that the 'new' airport building had been built in 1992. Interesting to see the fence round it! Going from Tzanata to Sami was like an expedition in those days on a rough track. Skala to Poros was the same and I remember doing it on a scooter. A dog tried to attack us and we almost fell off! Great memories!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 11 April, 2018 @ 11:00:02 »
A dog tried to attack us and we almost fell off! Great memories!

:blink:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 11 April, 2018 @ 16:26:59 »
How things change!

Germany-based Fraport AG appears fully satisfied with its massive Greek investment so far...

Beyond the long-term strategy plan to boost passenger traffic and raise revenues, Fraport Greece has completed "window-dressing" measures to improve the airports' image, such as replacing restroom doors, fielding operational fire-fighting vehicles and even inaugurating wi-fi networks that actually work.
http://www.naftemporiki.gr/story/1339509/dw-greece-benefits-from-fraport-assumption-of-14-regional-airports

I'm sure they mean well but, well, they just don't understand...