Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 186841 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 17:31:11 »
http://kefaloniapress.gr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59547&Itemid=188

The above link to the Kefalonia Press site shows some interesting pictures along the Skala road. It looks like you need to have at least 4 people with when driving so as to get you out of a hole. Also, the photos towards the end show a cute dog with "I love You" hanging around its neck next to a dustbin.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 17:41:59 »
Didn't see the remains of the pruning nor the stuffed toy when I drove through Skala today... the ankle / axle traps are, at least, pretty obvious!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 19:31:59 »
Nice pics, Maik.  Quite a mess down "your" end and round the square.  They couldn't leave it like that into the season... could they?!  :blink:

Thanks for the link BeeTee.  Kefalonia Press put the boot in very nicely!

Tony

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 21:56:08 »
Is it just me or......

.....ok, I'll get my coat.

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 22:17:13 »
Is it just me or......

OK. I think I know where this is going  ;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #180 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 11:05:20 »
Oh my! It's a giant exclamation mark.

Or look at it another way, it's a giant keyhole into a mysterious world.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #181 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 11:15:55 »
Oh good lord, how much did they drink at lunchtime.  I can't decide if the streets look good or awful.  Certainly wouldn't ride a bike down it and expect to keep all my teeth.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #182 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 17:29:45 »
Is it just me or......

OK. I think I know where this is going  ;)

Looks like someone's dropped a bollock....

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 09:18:14 »
Maik, this looks like it has blocked Etam's driveway and I gather that many driveways have been blocked in this way. Do you think this is deliberate? It seems that the 'planter' outside Gerry's (the chemist) has been filled in with bricks, so maybe that is what will happen to the rest!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 14:23:13 »
 What an advert for Skala!!!I do hope it looks a bit better than this almighty mess before the visitors arrive. I would be asking for a move and a refund!!

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 20:01:16 »
What an advert for Skala!!!I do hope it looks a bit better than this almighty mess before the visitors arrive. I would be asking for a move and a refund!!

Almighty mess? - I reckon it looks much better than it has for many years. And the testicular challenged planter might become a talking point for visitors to the High Street tavernas.

I would be interested to know on what grounds you would be asking for a move and a refund.

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 20:06:22 »
Looks like there is another knob shaped hole outside Solomos supermarket. As the Solomos family have fingers in several pies within Skala, I am amazed that this has been allowed as they are usually up in arms about anything that could affect their businesses.

I suppose it depends on whether the pedestrianisation is actually pedestrianisation or just a re laying of the road allowing vehicles to park wherever they can fit in. If so, then Dr Yannis is going to be busy with injured tourists negotiating the haphazard parked cars and delivery vehicles as well as the strategically placed phallic symbols. Ladies beware and take flat shoes for the nightly parade up and down Skala Main St otherwise don't forget to bring copies of your insurance docs.

Also looking forward to seeing how the road deals with the late summer rains and how businesses will stop the water flooding into their premises....might be worth investing in a sandbag business!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 21:38:57 »
I've been visiting Skala since 1992 each year sometimes twice a year and know that the Greeks are renowned for leaving everything until the last minute when with a bit of thought things could have been done in good time over the closed season. They are also renowned for not finishing things off properly  in the race to get opened up and start earning, this lot looks like a disaster waiting to happen.When they replaced the large drain pipes a few years ago we went out on the first flights and it was in a terrible state .Some places couldn't open up because of all the dust and dirt blowing around and our rep fell down a hole and had to be sent back to UK We smiled and shook our heads knowing what the Greeks were like .Just imagine its your first time out and maybe you have someone who is not too good on their feet or little children anxious to run about. Do you want to be spending the whole time watching how you go when you go down the street? We are not all nimble on our feet! As you say Dr John will have a waiting room full of patients. They are also well known for not putting things right if they go wrong or get broken. Things look lovely when new but soon get dilapidated because they are too lazy to get them fixed I can well see some of the reps having one or two questions to answer if its still in this state by the end of next week. Ladies will be asking why they weren't warned that high heels are not appropriate on Greek village streets. Not much fun coming out to a building site when you have booked from brochures showing a nice tidy village. We love Skala warts and all but some people are much more picky than us!!!I also wonder how the old people in Skala are coping?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 22:05:00 »
Indeed, it would be a phallus-y to think there's only one – this one's just about outside Galaxy supermarket. Don't think it obstructs access but won't make it easy to park outside (unless it gets filled in at ground level one night).

I've really no idea whether it's going to be pedestrianised, or pedrianised after 18:00 June to September, or what's going on. If it's not pedestrianised I think a lot of the features will be visually lost under and between vehicles parked (even more) haphazardly.

Could be interesting to see whether 'full insurance' applies to hire cars that have accidentally been dropped down into the tank traps. If the flower beds ever get finished I suspect they will look nice for a while and then be overtaken by weeds as the plants die off through lack of proper care.

Could also be interesting to see what tourists think of it. IMO the workmen have done a good job but (to me) it doesn't make Skala look genuine or traditional, or whatever the idea was. It might look good somewhere such as Fiskardo or Assos but many of the buildings have, or are getting, a distinctly modern look – Mi'Abeli with it's new glass frontage, the new bar(?) between Etam and Scandies, Veto, Omerta to name but a few. All very nice but do the olde-worlde cobbles 'fit'?

Ladies beware and take flat shoes for the nightly parade up and down Skala Main St
Are you not wearing high heels with your mankini, Alan? (just kidding  ;))

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 @ 22:52:49 »
Looks like there is another knob shaped hole outside Solomos supermarket. As the Solomos family have fingers in several pies within Skala, I am amazed that this has been allowed as they are usually up in arms about anything that could affect their businesses.

I gather that Solomos are in the process of sueing the council.

Today I was looking at progress at the lower end by the square and a guy was laying the bricks, while four others were stood watching!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, 09 May, 2015 @ 15:05:15 »
Earlier today:

Not sure what chance those small shrubs have of avoiding being mown down by cars and wagons  :hmm:

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, 09 May, 2015 @ 16:11:12 »
Not sure what chance those small shrubs have of avoiding being mown down by cars and wagons  :hmm:

Probably lack of water and fags ends will get them first

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, 10 May, 2015 @ 14:29:04 »

Probably lack of water and fags ends will get them first

I'd give the plants less than a fortnight after which the planters will look completely scruffy and I reckon the planters are potentially a hazard for drivers.  Is the plan is that the pedestrianised area will be open to traffic in the morning till 1200 ??? .  I realise that there are consequently no pavements so cars will be parked front in towards the shops leaving little space to get into the shops or move between them as in the second pic above.  Also what happens to parked cars after the deadline? 

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, 10 May, 2015 @ 15:54:00 »
Some businesses. e.g. tavernas, don't like cars parked right outside and will 'park' push bikes outside at intervals to allow easy access but prevent parking. Others, inc. 'supermarkets', like customers to be able to park as close as possible. With a little thought and planning... There again, what's a taverna one year could be a shop the next.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #194 on: Monday, 11 May, 2015 @ 14:12:08 »
Bye 'eck, things don't arf grow quick out 'ere!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #195 on: Monday, 11 May, 2015 @ 15:25:23 »
Plants are getting a good watering - apparently it's bouncing it down in Skala, hail stones the size of peas. Water gushing down the channels in the yellow slabs separating 'road' from 'path', largely by-passing the drains.

Bit grey but still dry in Poros  :)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #196 on: Monday, 11 May, 2015 @ 20:52:19 »
...Water gushing down the channels in the yellow slabs separating 'road' from 'path', largely by-passing the drains...

:lol:   Sorry, shouldn't laugh really!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, 12 May, 2015 @ 01:05:47 »
Amazing what a drop of rain can do. The little trees weren't there before the rain:

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, 12 May, 2015 @ 09:34:06 »
Amazing what a drop of rain can do. The little trees weren't there before the rain:

Unfortunately, it looks like the traffic cone has given up the ghost and keeled over and died.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, 13 May, 2015 @ 12:51:09 »
As it relates to Skala - Is it true that El Greco/Uncle Ted's isn't opening this year?