Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 187478 times)

Offline KefieRosie

• Participant
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, 13 May, 2015 @ 14:17:14 »
Yes, unfortunately El Greco closed at the end of last season and will not be opening again as far as I know. Such a pity as it was one of our favourites.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, 13 May, 2015 @ 14:40:59 »
Shame - hope Ted find something else to do other than taking pictures.  Unless he doesn't want to  :unsure:

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, 13 May, 2015 @ 18:45:22 »
Yes, unfortunately El Greco is not opening this year. Other changes - Kaliva Taverna, in the side street opposite Greekstones is moving to the parade of empty shops opposite Hotel Skala - next door to where the pharmacy used to be, and the Old Village restaurant is supposed to be opening another business where Kaliva was.

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #203 on: Thursday, 14 May, 2015 @ 09:34:30 »
The new business at the old Kaliva position is called Meze Meze...

Having walked the new Main Street (in sensible shoes) Mrs B twice caught her toes on protruding cobbles so we decided on zig zagging up and down the side streets which are now worse than ever with potholes etc. Hopefully some cash can be found to improve these to allow tourists to visit (IMO) some of the better businesses in Skala.

Having spoken to Marinos from Kaliva he is more than happy to take his chances at the new location in terms of rent (my favourite bugbear) and the fact that he now has excellent views over the beach and will catch a lot of passing trade from the Roman Villa, the lookout point and those visiting Akri Bar.

On a darker note (sorry if it's already been mentioned on GG) but I hear that Dino From Panorama has died over the winter. RIP. A very nice man.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #204 on: Thursday, 14 May, 2015 @ 11:51:20 »
Thank you for the updates.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #205 on: Thursday, 14 May, 2015 @ 14:17:31 »
Irrigation pipes installed earlier today:

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #206 on: Thursday, 14 May, 2015 @ 16:35:13 »
Hmm, adds to the overall "design"/another tripping potential doesn't it.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, 19 May, 2015 @ 14:02:20 »
Chap came along today and removed some of the trip hazards, those curios 3cm high squares dotted about, as seen next to the dead traffic cone in this pic.

Planter areas being put to good use by the local cats, who seem to view them as spacious litter trays - one was doing a dump outside one of the tavernas last night. Mind you, one of the customers had been taking scraps out for them.

Work on paving the road at the end of the square outside Panorama almost complete.

Still not sure the money couldn't have been put to better use but, must admit, I'm getting to like the new cobbles more as time goes on. Just have to see what chaos ensues if/when the street is pedestrianised... tourists will want to park somewhere. Poros?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, 20 May, 2015 @ 08:31:25 »
Work on paving the road at the end of the square outside Panorama almost complete.

Maybe a bit of urgency about this as the Union of the Ionian Islands with Greece will be celebrated as usual in Skala tomorrow, starting at 11:00 with a service in the church of Agios Gerasimos  (main crossroads) followed by a ceremonious stroll down to the main square around 12:00. Thereafter live music and dancing commencing around 12:30.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, 20 May, 2015 @ 13:50:18 »
Bloke in a cherry picker came round today, painting the tops of the lamp posts

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #210 on: Thursday, 21 May, 2015 @ 15:30:25 »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #211 on: Thursday, 21 May, 2015 @ 19:26:12 »
Great pics, Maik!  The street looks quite nice and Skala spruced up for the season.  Don't give the trees much hope though!

Tony

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #212 on: Thursday, 21 May, 2015 @ 19:44:15 »
Yeah, good pics Maik. I see from the first two that the traffic cone has recovered and able to take part in the parade. 

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, 31 May, 2015 @ 23:07:43 »
The irrigation system seems to be in place but I haven't seen any sign of it working, once or twice a day the beds get watered via fire wagon

Offline Annie P

• Participant
« Reply #214 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 12:54:30 »
You just couldnt make it up, could you.  :lol:

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #215 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 19:16:14 »
The irrigation system seems to be in place but I haven't seen any sign of it working, once or twice a day the beds get watered via fire wagon

The local pooches won't be happy when they see some dude stepping in on their patch !

Offline Mary

• Forum Hero
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 @ 20:19:47 »
Looking likely that pedestrianisation of the high street will be taking effect imminently.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 @ 23:39:30 »
Police car with two uniformed police officers drove up and down the High Street this eve, officers looked really upset at having to be there instead of at their Charm School class. Customer who'd temporarily parked outside our office was told to move on.

Rough translation of Πεζοδρομος Ωρες Τροφοδοσιας Καταστηματων 06:00 - 12:00

Sidewalk. Delivery times to food service outlets 06:00 - 12:00

Signs in Greek only... could be great fun this summer  :iroll:

Earlier in the day a labourer turned up in a van, looked like he was laying new irrigation pipes but he could've been nicking plants  :dunno:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, 11 June, 2015 @ 00:47:47 »
The obvious solution: if you can't park on the road... park on the pavement:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #219 on: Friday, 12 June, 2015 @ 22:59:43 »
Heard that all those cars, and those parked on the bend by the 'new' periptero on the square, received parking tickets. Very few cars up and down the main street today and none parked on the pavement this eve. And no, the street certainly wasn't jam packed solid with pedestrians this evening... maybe the new 'Apostolata' bus service will encourage people into town but a number of parking spaces have been lost and no alternative spaces provided.

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 10:22:22 »
Always thought the raised "wasteland " area next to the IKA doctors could have been used as a parking area with a little work....( ramp up/down ).  Only 100 metres walk into town and would help those businesses situated in both side roads heading onto the Main Street. May also encourage others to open businesses where Bozos  Kebab House was and where the new car hire place is.

I wonder if the "abbatoir" car park will now get some useage?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #221 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 10:37:16 »
I wonder if the "abbatoir" car park will now get some useage?

Er... not sure I know where that is and a bit gruesomely what it is/was  :blink:

Tony

Offline Sandrap

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #222 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 16:58:12 »
What is the new Apostalata Bus Service?
I thought the hotel always had one.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #223 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 17:55:22 »
Three piece tribute band?

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 19:22:19 »
Sorry Tony, the Abbatoir  is the "affectionate" name for the set of buildings opposite Hotel Skala where Pantheon and the Pharmacy used to be and where Kaliva has recently moved to. Parking there for about 15/20 cars ...... If parked correctly.

I think it was named accordingly for its grey colour and nondescript shape just after it was finished.