The Agora > Brexit

Brexit / passports & pet passports

(1/3) > >>

Maik:

--- Quote ---No-deal Brexit: what are the implications for British travellers?
What would happen from day one if the UK crashes out of the UK?
--- End quote ---
independent.co.uk/travel: No-deal Brexit: what are the implications for British travellers?

--- Quote ---Will your passport be valid after Brexit?
A no-deal Brexit could mean a passport is expired with more than a year to run
--- End quote ---
independent.co.uk/travel: Will your passport be valid after Brexit?

A lot of information in the Independent articles but not all of it is easy to understand, it may be easier to read the official advice in the links below and Check your passport for travel to Europe

What to expect on day one of a ‘no deal’ scenario:

--- Quote ---Travellers to the EU with a UK passport

The passport rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 without a deal.

If you travel to Europe for work or leisure, make sure you:
• check your passport meets the new rules
• renew your passport in plenty of time before travel if necessary.
--- End quote ---
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk: Travellers to the EU with a UK passport

Useful gov.uk websites: Check a passport for travel to Europe / Apply online for a UK passport

--- Quote ---Individuals travelling with pets

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal in March 2019, it would become a third country for the purposes of pet travel.

In a ‘no deal’ scenario, pets would continue to be able to travel from the UK to the EU, but the requirements for documents and health checks would differ depending on what category of third country the UK becomes on the day we leave the EU.

If the UK becomes an unlisted country, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.
--- End quote ---
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk: Individuals travelling with pets

TonyKath:
From the Indy article above:

--- Quote ---The free circulation and movements of goods between the UK and EU would end,” says the UK government: “The European Commission has made it clear that, in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario, it will impose full third country controls on people and goods entering the EU from the UK.”

For travellers, this means that the present arrangements which allow personal possessions to be taken from the UK to Europe without restriction will end.
--- End quote ---
God only knows what how that would be applied...  "Sorry, sir/madam if you bring that TV with you when you move here it'll cost you €100!"   :oki:

Tony

Maik:
Thanks, Tony - I'd missed that!

The other thing that stands out for me is that

--- Quote ---...flights on UK airlines to each EU country will be capped at summer 2018 levels.

A feasible scenario is that an airline will be allowed to operate only as many flights to each EU country as it did last year. At this point the carrier can decide to stick to its 2018 schedule, ie cancelling all the new departures, or pick flights which are lightly booked for cancellation.

Some carriers may be able to limit the damage by deploying larger aircraft on EU services; the cap is on flights, not seats.

The regulations would apply specifically to UK airlines.

Passengers whose flights are cancelled will qualify for a full refund of the fare, but not associated expenses – for example accommodation or car rental.

Travellers who buy package holidays will enjoy the highest degree of protection.
--- End quote ---
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/no-deal-brexit-uk-travellers-holidays-flights-europe-eu-visa-payments-a8730601.html

2018 was a bumper year for incoming tourists to Greece so capacity should be high, but 2019 could be an even better year... if everyone can get on the flight they booked (and if their passports have enough days left on them).

:dunno:

Maik:

--- Quote ---Do I really need 15 months on my passport for Greece?

UK passports are unlike those issued in the rest of the European Union (and the world) in one key respect: many of them are valid for up to 10 years and nine months, rather than the normal 10 years. The difference is the generous (and now abandoned) policy of providing additional validity for up to nine months of unexpired time on the old passport. For example, my passport was issued on 12 March 2013 and expires on 12 November 2023 – 10 years and eight months later.

This is fine for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. But as soon as Britain leaves and becomes a “third country”, different rules apply.
--- End quote ---
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/15-months-passport-greece-eu-brexit-travel-question-simon-calder-a8781316.html

Bryan-in-Kilkis:

--- Quote from: Maik on Sunday, 17 February, 2019 @ 03:29:40 ---
--- Quote ---Do I really need 15 months on my passport for Greece?

UK passports are unlike those issued in the rest of the European Union (and the world) in one key respect: many of them are valid for up to 10 years and nine months, rather than the normal 10 years. The difference is the generous (and now abandoned) policy of providing additional validity for up to nine months of unexpired time on the old passport. For example, my passport was issued on 12 March 2013 and expires on 12 November 2023 – 10 years and eight months later.

This is fine for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. But as soon as Britain leaves and becomes a “third country”, different rules apply.
--- End quote ---
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/15-months-passport-greece-eu-brexit-travel-question-simon-calder-a8781316.html

--- End quote ---

This has affected me - I need to visit the UK for my sister's wedding at the beginning of May, my first visit to the UK in 6 years, and I only discovered ten days ago that my passport, which expires in mid-December, has the extra four months from the previous passport, and it was quite likely I'd not be let back into Greece on my return a week after leaving (due to the Schengen Border Code re such UK "extended" passports' actual ten-years-and-no-more expiry date).  Thankfully, this discovery was made in plenty of time before I leave and my passport is now in Belfast, going through the renewal process.  Sodding Brexit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version