Author Topic: The Greek alternative  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
The Greek alternative
« on: Tuesday, 11 October, 2022 @ 15:14:53 »
The Greek alternative to the Swiss Alps – for a fraction of the price
With its lofty peaks, lush pastures, wooden chalets and clanging cattle, the Pindus Mountains could be mistaken for Switzerland

After breakfast I descended slippery steps to the village. I could have been in Switzerland. There were geraniums in window boxes, rough-hewn wooden chalets and dizzying views of mountain peaks and deep green valleys dotted with grazing cattle. Cinnamon-coloured cows ambled along the cobbled alleys, their bucket-sized bells clanking loudly, and everywhere the steady slosh of spring water trickling into stone basins. Although it was late August, freshly cut pine logs were stacked beneath the wooden balconies, and snow chains hung in garages.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/greece/greek-alternative-swiss-alps-fraction-price

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: The Greek alternative
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 11 October, 2022 @ 21:04:51 »
The Greek alternative to the Swiss Alps – for a fraction of the price
With its lofty peaks, lush pastures, wooden chalets and clanging cattle, the Pindus Mountains could be mistaken for Switzerland

After breakfast I descended slippery steps to the village. I could have been in Switzerland. There were geraniums in window boxes, rough-hewn wooden chalets and dizzying views of mountain peaks and deep green valleys dotted with grazing cattle. Cinnamon-coloured cows ambled along the cobbled alleys, their bucket-sized bells clanking loudly, and everywhere the steady slosh of spring water trickling into stone basins. Although it was late August, freshly cut pine logs were stacked beneath the wooden balconies, and snow chains hung in garages.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/greece/greek-alternative-swiss-alps-fraction-price

The Pindus range is indeed truly spectacular.  Not too sure I'd draw comparisons with the Swiss Alps, having visited both places, but I'd highly recommend a holiday in the Pindus.  Greece really does need to promote its mountain regions as tourist destinations big-time.