Author Topic: "Grexit is not an option"  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
"Grexit is not an option"
« on: Tuesday, 05 May, 2015 @ 13:29:30 »
Interesting report on a speech by Jean-Claude Juncker,  President of the European Commission, which is the executive branch of the European Union. Juncker accuses the "Anglo-Saxon world" of wanting to dis-assemble the eurozone and openly favours the Samaras regime over Tsipras' Syriza government. Extracts below:

Juncker: If Greece leaves, Anglo-Saxons will try to break up eurozone

Commission President Jean Claude Juncker said that if Greece left the single currency area, the "Anglo-Saxon world" would try everything to break it up.

“Grexit is not an option. If Greece would accept it, if the others would accept it, that the country would exit the zone of security and prosperity constituted by the eurozone, we would be exposed to huge danger, because the Anglo-Saxon world would do everything to try to decompose, at a regular rhythm, by (the) sale, apartment by apartment, of the eurozone,” he said.

“We have to know that Greece was misbehaving in the past, that the government of Mr. Samaras was doing the right things, that those who were contesting these right things won the elections. Now they are confronted with their election promises, and we have to deal with that,” he said, referring of the leftist government of Alexis Tsipras.

“My concern is not the Greek government. My concern is the Greek people. We don’t have the right to deal with the Greek people as if they were the neglected part of Europe. The Greek people have great dignity. This is a great nation, although being from time to time a weak state, and we have to show solidarity with the Greeks. And the [present] Greek government has to know that at the level of the eurozone, we have to deal with 19 democracies, not only with one, not only with Greek democracy,” he said.

“I want a fair deal with Britain, but Britain is not in a situation to impose its exclusive agenda to all the other member states of Europe”, Juncker said.

“I don’t want Britain to leave the EU, but I don’t want the EU to follow an exclusive British commandership.”
http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/juncker-if-greece-leaves-anglo-saxons-will-try-break-eurozone-314308

Good to know the Greek people don't have any option to leave the EU, even if they wanted to  :iroll:

You cannot leave, you must do what the EU commandership tells you.

Maybe JMO but the attitude of the EU rather suggests to me the Nazis going to a local mayor and saying, 'We are going to shoot 100 villagers, you choose which hundred. That way we are not responsible because you chose who we will kill'.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: "Grexit is not an option"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 05 May, 2015 @ 15:54:24 »
I know I am a bit stupid, being a brummy and all, but I didn't think that the British stance was "Do as we say or we will leave the EC".  We don't want to replace Brussels with Westminster.  We need o get away from the Franco-German fascistic hegemony.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 06 May, 2015 @ 00:45:45 »
Germany's record trade surplus is a bigger threat to euro than Greece
If EU law were properly enforced, Germany would face fines for endangering eurozone stability and breaching the Macroeconomic Imbalance Procedure for the fifth year in a row

Germany’s current account surplus is out of control.

Vague assurances that the surplus would fall over time have once again come to nothing. The country is now the biggest single violator of the eurozone stability rules. It would face punitive sanctions if EU treaty law was enforced.

Brussels told Germany to do its “homework” a year ago, but recoiled from taking any action. We will see if Jean-Claude Juncker's commission does any better this time.

If not, cynics might justifiably conclude that big countries play by their own rules in Europe, and that Germany can defy all rules.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/11584031/Germanys-record-trade-surplus-is-a-bigger-threat-to-euro-than-Greece.html

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 06 May, 2015 @ 10:50:58 »
Germany's record trade surplus is a bigger threat to euro than Greece
If EU law were properly enforced, Germany would face fines for endangering eurozone stability and breaching the Macroeconomic Imbalance Procedure for the fifth year in a row

Germany’s current account surplus is out of control.

Vague assurances that the surplus would fall over time have once again come to nothing. The country is now the biggest single violator of the eurozone stability rules. It would face punitive sanctions if EU treaty law was enforced.

Brussels told Germany to do its “homework” a year ago, but recoiled from taking any action. We will see if Jean-Claude Juncker's commission does any better this time.

If not, cynics might justifiably conclude that big countries play by their own rules in Europe, and that Germany can defy all rules.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/11584031/Germanys-record-trade-surplus-is-a-bigger-threat-to-euro-than-Greece.html

And the news is?  Germany is riding on the back of a currency that is undervalued as far as its economy is concerned and this undervaluation is underwritten by the overvaluation of the same currency in respect of the economies of Spain, Portugal and Greece.  The Germans are, effectively, exporting the deleterious effects of an exchange rate adjustment to weaker countries. 

They couldn't win with arms so they are trying to do it with the euro.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 06 May, 2015 @ 11:54:50 »
Or to put it another way, the Fourth Reich is robbing the rest of Europe just like the third did.