Author Topic: Ouzo!  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Ouzo!
« on: Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 @ 14:17:03 »
Literature scholars believe the name ouzo to come from the ancient Greek verb “to smell,” or “ozo.” Romantics prefer to think it comes from the phrase “Ou zo,” or “Without this I can’t live.” Others see its roots in the Turkish word for grape, “uzum,” and others say it can be traced back to a story about a Turkish consulate doctor in Thessaly in the 18th century who tasted the local raki and cried out, “But this is uso di Marsiglia!” The phrase, meaning “for use in Marseilles,” was at the time stamped on crates of silk worm cocoons exported from Thessaly to major merchants in the French port, and had become synonymous with any product of excellent quality.

All this fascinating information and more is available on the website, tsou.gr, an online temple to ouzo.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/211701/article/ekathimerini/life/banging-the-drum-for-ouzo

Ouzo website at http://www.tsou.gr/en/

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Ouzo!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 @ 22:08:20 »
Great article and even better site.  The name of the guy running it is Bekris - which remarkably means "boozer" in Greek. (not sure if there is a difference of spelling or the stress).

Fantastic find Maik!!!  :btu: :btu: :btu:

Tony

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 @ 11:10:10 »
Actually, his name is Βεκρής, which is Vekris, rather than Bekris (Μπεκρής), the latter indeed meaning a hard drinker.  Nice near coincidence, though...!!  :lol:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 @ 16:39:17 »
Thanks Bryan,

I thought  you'd spot if there was something awry!  I did a very quick scan over the Greek version of the site and couldn't see the guy's name. So I went by the transliteration in the English article in Το Βήμα.  Shame it seemed so right! 

Τα λέμε!

Tony