Author Topic: Life: A user's manual to Ikaria  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Life: A user's manual to Ikaria
« on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 09:33:30 »
When he was in his mid-60s, Stamatis Moraitis was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. His doctor told him he had between six and nine months to live. Living at the time in the US with his Greek-American wife Elpiniki and their three children, Stamatis was not going to be dictated to.

“The cheapest funeral at the time was $15,000. I told her that in Icaria island, a priest friend of mine will do a nice funeral for me for $200. So, we can go to the island for the funeral and the $15,000 can go for the kids. Why should the undertakers have it?” says Stamatis in Haris Raftogiannis’s “True Blue,” which screened at the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival this week.

So the couple moved across the Atlantic to the idiosyncratic eastern Aegean island about 30 miles off the Turkish coast.

Nine months came and went… then years. Stamatis somehow managed to save something far more precious than his $15,000. Rather than succumbing to the disease, his ailing health gradually improved.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/206969/article/ekathimerini/life/life-a-users-manual

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Life: A user's manual to Ikaria
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 24 November, 2017 @ 18:59:25 »
Ikaria’s Tourism Offerings to be Broadcast by British ITV Network

The northeastern Aegean island of Ikaria and its tourism offerings will be featured in an upcoming episode of “This Morning”, a popular TV show of the British network ITV.

With the support of the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO), the five-member crew of ITV recently visited the island to create a video on its beauties and the residents’ way of life, who are believed to hold the “secret” of longevity.

The video will be broadcast in January 2018.
http://news.gtp.gr/2017/11/23/ikarias-tourism-broadcast-british-itv-network