Author Topic: Turkey abolishes winter time and introduces summer time forever  (Read 5253 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
Turkey abolishes winter time and introduces summer time forever
« on: Friday, 09 September, 2016 @ 09:16:55 »
Turkey will stick to summer time all year round and  clocks will no longer go back in October due to measure introduced to make better use of winter daylight.

Turkey’s clocks will stop going back in winter, official decree rules. Photograph:
Turkey will stop turning back its clocks this winter, staying on summer time all year round to make better use of daylight.

The clocks in Turkey went forward one hour on 27 March for summer, in line with the rest of Europe.

But this setting will now remain in place throughout the year across the country, according to a decree adopted at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

The clocks were to have gone back one hour on 30 October when Turkish summertime officially ends.

But after the decree, published on Thursday, there will be no winter adjustment.

The decree, which comes into force immediately, said the decision was aimed at “making more use of daylight” during the winter.

The decision means Turkey will be three hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in winter as well as summer and two hours ahead of continental Europe in winter.

“I abolished the winter-summer time difference,” the prime minister, Binali Yıldırım, said in a speech to provincial governors.

“There will be no confusion now. The hours will be the same in winter and summer. You will change, not the hours.” (Guardian)

Last year, in October, the Turkish government decided to postpone the change from summer to winter time. until after upcoming polls. However, some clocks automatically changed the time, causing bewilderment in the society and the business world. 

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2016/09/08/turkey-abolishes-winter-time-introduces-summer-time-forever/

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Turkey abolishes winter time and introduces summer time forever
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 09 September, 2016 @ 18:11:27 »
I'd vote for permanent summer time;)

Tony

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Turkey abolishes winter time and introduces summer time forever
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 12 September, 2016 @ 08:40:52 »
I'd vote for permanent summer time;)