Author Topic: The age of monsters  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
The age of monsters
« on: Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 @ 13:00:49 »
Editorial: The election of Trump and the age of monsters

The win of Donald Trump in the USA, the country that whether we like it or not is the leading force in the West, is paving the way for the age of monsters.

A colorful candidate who managed to overwhelm his fellow candidates within the Republican party and subsequently convince the majority of the electorate, against almost all predictions, will soon lead a superpower. Armed with demagoguery, racism towards foreigners, migrants and others, he managed to convince millions of his compatriots that he is an anti-systemic force!

He invested in fear, insecurity and voter anger; he fueled conspiracy theories on social and political events and managed to convince that he is an alternative to the corrupt elite.
http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=843064

Canada's immigration website crashes during US vote

Canada's immigration website has suffered an intermittent fault that has made it inaccessible to visitors during the US election vote.

It has led to speculation that the problem is the result of increased traffic from US citizens in the wake of Donald Trump's victory.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37921376

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: The age of monsters
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 @ 13:56:46 »
And I quote "we.re all doomed"

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 @ 14:39:14 »
A refreshing change. I think he'll surprise us. :wacko:

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 10 November, 2016 @ 23:10:34 »
Says a lot for America !

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 11 November, 2016 @ 10:55:11 »
Let's wait and see.....after all, one votes for a Party and it's Policies - not the personality of it's figurehead.

If that's not the case these days, how's Corbyn ever going to stand a chance of becoming PM?

Besides, seems to me it's the same group of voters who were giving the establishment a kicking in the 60's/70's are at it again in their Autumn years.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 11 November, 2016 @ 16:19:03 »
...after all, one votes for a Party and it's Policies - not the personality of it's figurehead.

Nice idea, but hardly the case in the States. It's all showmanship. As Fart has shown. Perhaps he will surprise us. He's probably a bigger lying, two-faced slimebag than we figure. JMO (or maybe not just my opinion).

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 13 November, 2016 @ 12:42:09 »
Brexit and the election of Trump simply goes to show that democracy does not work.  You are putting your future in the hands of a bunch of red-neck morons who consider shows like the Xfactor and Strictly Come Dancing as cultural pinnacles in their sad lives.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 13 November, 2016 @ 13:15:12 »
I think this chap sums it up (excuse repeated strong language).
People aren't allowed to speak anymore so they can only say it in the voting booth. Hence even the polls are wrong as people can't say what they think or they'll be called "ist" or "ic" etc.
Despite the language I think his points are pretty valid.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Monday, 14 November, 2016 @ 00:13:50 »
I think this chap sums it up (excuse repeated strong language).
People aren't allowed to speak anymore so they can only say it in the voting booth. Hence even the polls are wrong as people can't say what they think or they'll be called "ist" or "ic" etc.
Despite the language I think his points are pretty valid.

The sort of obscurantist, moronic rant you get in the pub after some cretin has had a few too many after reading the Daily Mail.  If anyone considers this to be reasoned argument then Trump is what they deserve.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Monday, 14 November, 2016 @ 06:37:08 »
By saying that you seem to be confirming his thoughts Ari. France next?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 @ 20:49:16 »
I found Pie's rant extremely unpleasant and very nearly switched him off.  He's trying to be a "shock jock" of the left in a weird parody of Trumps' supporters and it simply does not work at all.  Just notice that - it's not a Daily Mail rant in content at least, though possibly in style.  He's arguing that the left "allowed Trump to win" by putting up a rubbish candidate who represented a version of the Democratic party that had abandoned its blue collar roots (true)and generally by not engaging in the debate and shouting at their their opponents (possibly true but arguable) .  These views are fairly common now on the left but put in a more credible fashion.  See anywhere you like in the Guardian at the moment. 

Tony