Author Topic: The Big Garden Birdwatch  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
The Big Garden Birdwatch
« on: Friday, 25 January, 2019 @ 02:39:54 »
Public urged to join world’s biggest garden wildlife survey in 40th year

The Big Garden Birdwatch is marking its 40th year this weekend, with around half a million people expected to take part by counting the birds in their garden as part of the world’s biggest wildlife citizen science project.

This year the event takes place on January 26, 27, and 28, and members of the public are asked to spend just one hour watching and recording the birds in their garden or local green space, then send their results to the RSPB.

As well as counting birds, the RSPB has for the last few years been asking participants to log some of the other wildlife they have seen throughout the year.

This year, people are being asked to look out for badger, fox, grey squirrel, red squirrel, muntjac deer, roe deer, frog and toad.

For more information and to submit results, people can visit: www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-25/public-urged-to-join-worlds-biggest-garden-wildlife-survey-in-40th-year/

Offline suej

• Bronze Medalist
Re: The Big Garden Birdwatch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 26 January, 2019 @ 00:15:16 »
Got my kit for the weekend ready to count the birds etc. Squirrels are a sore point in my house theyve destroyed all my tubs and pinched my bulbs.
 :oki:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: The Big Garden Birdwatch
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 26 January, 2019 @ 22:20:30 »
Got my kit for the weekend ready to count the birds etc. Squirrels are a sore point in my house theyve destroyed all my tubs and pinched my bulbs.
 :oki:
You could borrow our 2 golden retrievers and lab.  They love chasing squirrels - almost as much as they love digging out garden tubs and eating the contents!  :blink:

Tony