Author Topic: 'Friend in need' scam  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
'Friend in need' scam
« on: Wednesday, 08 January, 2014 @ 12:27:26 »
Via email to multiple recipients:

Hello

This message is coming to you with great depression due to my state of discomfort. I came down here to Ireland Dublin with my family for a short vacation but unfortunately, we were mugged and robbed at the park of the hotel where we stayed. All cash, credit cards and Mobile phones were stolen off us but we still have our lives and passports.

We've been to the embassy and the police here and they have done the best they can. Our flight leaves in less than 12hrs from now but we are having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills which is (1,950Euros). I am contacting you to ask for a short loan which I will refund immediately I get my family back home safely.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Had this sort of thing before, either the email address password has been cracked or the e-address has been spoofed. Whichever, it's a scam not perpetrated by the person it appears to be from.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 'Friend in need' scam
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 10 January, 2014 @ 16:58:11 »
I received this email because I was on the mailing list. It was immediately obvious it was a scam, because the IP address was in Wichita, Kansas! I have sent out a warning via Facebook.