Author Topic: Old Kindles will be disconnected from the internet unless you update  (Read 12926 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
**Moderator comment:  See post two down**  Tony

Old Kindles will be disconnected from the internet unless you update by Tuesday March 22nd.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/20/11271880/amazon-kindle-emergency-update-unable-to-connect-at-this-time?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter
« Last Edit: Monday, 21 March, 2016 @ 21:31:12 by TonyKath »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Old Kindles will be disconnected from the internet unless you update
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 21 March, 2016 @ 21:14:10 »
See also:

Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers

Customers using an outdated software version on Kindle e-readers require an important software update by March 22, 2016 in order to continue to download Kindle books from the Cloud, access the Kindle Store and use other Kindle services on their device.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-6?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201994710&qid=1458317761

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 21 March, 2016 @ 21:47:47 »
Very unusually I posted a comment direct into BeeTee's message above about an hour and a half ago, now amended.  I thought the Verve page had the hallmarks of a hoax - very short deadline, lack of authoritative link to Amazon and no direct email to Kindle users from Amazon.  As a Kindle Keyboard user I was rather alarmed by it and checked that my Kindle's software was up to date from some years back now. My Kindle is my entire library and I couldn't imagine suffering a disaster! I was very short of time and thought it best to flag a possible issue and then come back to it. 

Very many thanks to Maik for tracking down the genuine Amazon warning and very clear instructions in the link he has posted above.  Check the site and your Kindle via its settings page (at the bottom) to see if you need to switch the wifi on and check for downloads.  I guess most users only have it on when shopping for books and downloading because of the battery drain.  Mine is on now with nothing downloading.

Very well spotted spotted BeeTee!   :btu: :btu: :btu:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 21 March, 2016 @ 22:05:01 »
very short deadline

Yes, does seem rather strange. The sort of scare tactic that might be used by scammers, or someone wanting to infect PCs with malware. I just did a quick search to see how long the news has been known, doesn't look as though it was picked up by the media until yesterday, earliest. So very short notice. But it does look genuine.

A bit from the Independent, posted today around 18:00 GMT:

The update applies to the 2012 Kindle Paperwhite and all previous versions, so if your Kindle is more than four years old, you'll have to update it quickly.

It's not the end of the world if you don't manage to update it by the deadline - it just means you'll have to go through the comparatively arduous process of downloading the update from Amazon's website to a PC and installing it to the Kindle via USB.

It's much easier simply to update it over WiFi, but you don't have long left.

To install the update, go to the Kindle home screen, go to the Menu and select 'Sync and Check for Items' - it'll then update when the device goes to sleep.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/kindle-critical-software-update-download-amazon-model-date-deadline-22-march-a6943756.html

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 21 March, 2016 @ 22:31:03 »
Very unusually I posted a comment direct into BeeTee's message above about an hour and a half ago, now amended.  I thought the Verve page had the hallmarks of a hoax - very short deadline, lack of authoritative link to Amazon and no direct email to Kindle users from Amazon.  As a Kindle Keyboard user I was rather alarmed by it and checked that my Kindle's software was up to date from some years back now. My Kindle is my entire library and I couldn't imagine suffering a disaster! I was very short of time and thought it best to flag a possible issue and then come back to it. 

Very many thanks to Maik for tracking down the genuine Amazon warning and very clear instructions in the link he has posted above.  Check the site and your Kindle via its settings page (at the bottom) to see if you need to switch the wifi on and check for downloads.  I guess most users only have it on when shopping for books and downloading because of the battery drain.  Mine is on now with nothing downloading.

Very well spotted spotted BeeTee!   :btu: :btu: :btu:

Tony

Sorry Tony, should have posted the Amazon link rather than the first one I came across. I agree that the statement was made very very late and like you have a kindle that I rely on for my reading both in the UK and Greece. Hope that everyone with a Kindle gets their updates in time. 

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 00:02:15 »
Technophobe alert ! I can just about stumble around on my 'Fire'. Amazon will send downloads automatically or do I have to 'ask the kids' as it where ?

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 00:25:09 »
Thanks everyone. I had to perform 4 separate updates to get from my Kindle's 3.1 to current 3.4.2.
Took about 30 mins - had to download each interim update to PC from Kindle support site (see below) then transfer to kindle via USB cable.
Then "eject" Kindle, disconnect cable, and choose Update from Kindle's Settings menu.
Repeat, for each update (oldest first, and all explained on the link below)

Time consuming, but not difficult.

Amazon - identify your Kindle  and then click on the associated Get Help with Kindle link to see the manual updates available.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 00:28:08 by TonyD »

Offline suej

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 00:53:18 »
switch kindle on and put on wifi hopefully it will update over night

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 11:18:48 »
switch kindle on and put on wifi hopefully it will update over night
that won't work if, like me, your Kindle had it's original software (3.1)

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 11:50:40 »
Updates can be done from a PC or laptop via a USB cable for those who miss the deadline or can't get the download to work.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 @ 19:12:51 »
There seem to be several "Kindlers" on GGi.  Hope everyone gets sorted OK and a lot easier than TonyD found it (strewth!).  I'll check mine after the "deadline" tomorrow to see if it connects to the Amazon store.   :blink:

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 @ 01:04:26 »
Read books and don't be a slave to technology.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 23 March, 2016 @ 16:28:59 »
Read books and don't be a slave to technology.

Save trees, save money, save space and read books!

PS mine working nicely as of 1000 GMT today.

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 24 March, 2016 @ 00:23:43 »
My Kindle, one of the originals, is working perfectly.  I must have done something right without realising it.  Usually the way with me and mechanical thingies.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, 24 March, 2016 @ 12:22:27 »
you've successfully downloaded a new book today?

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, 24 March, 2016 @ 13:00:51 »
My Kindle, one of the originals, is working perfectly.  I must have done something right without realising it.  Usually the way with me and mechanical thingies.
Ari I too survived 'Kindlegate' without a scratch. Gave it a hefty dose off switch it off switch it on leave it overnight and see wot happens.