Author Topic: Boat tax (TEPAI)  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Boat tax (TEPAI)
« on: Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 @ 11:22:01 »
New Levy to Burden Watercraft Owners Docking in Greece

According to Greek daily Kathimerini, the TEPAI tax will apply per month or year as follows: 16 euros per month for craft up to eight meters, 25 euros for those between eight and 10 meters, and 8 euros per meter for vessels over 12 meters. A 25 percent discount will apply only on boats used exclusively for professional purposes.

The tax, which was passed into law in 2013 but never implemented, is now a basic requirement of Greece’s bailout program demanded by its international lenders and forecast to generate 15 million euros in annual revenue.

“We believe that instead of raising revenue for the state, the levy will result in very significant losses, irreversible I would say, due to the immediate departure of vessels from Greece to other areas,” Greek Marinas Association President Stavros Katsikadis, told Kathimerini.
http://news.gtp.gr/2017/11/20/new-levy-burden-watercraft-owners-docking-greece

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Boat tax (TEPAI)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 @ 14:00:29 »
Sounds like this is in addition to the DEKPA tax, which for me is 50 euros per year. I do not object to paying this, but another tax which will potentially cost me another 192 euros per year is too much.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 @ 08:18:34 »
The Greek Parliament has agreed legislation which, upon implementation, will introduce a tax which will apply to boats (except boats of less than 7m in length) in Greek Territorial Waters regardless of the vessel's flag state or the nationality of the owner.

Although the legislation includes basic details of the amounts that will be payable, it leaves the reader with many questions about what it will mean in reality.

There is currently neither a comprehensive explanation available of how the tax will be applied in practice nor a timetable for its implementation. As and when definitive information becomes available we will publish it on this page.

This is not the first time the Greek Parliament has agreed legislation which was intended to introduce such a tax. In 2013 similar legislation was agreed and at that time the RYA, through its membership of the European Boating Association (which represents 1.5 million boaters across Europe and of which the RYA is a founder member), wrote to the European Commission to express concern that the tax appeared to conflict with the Commission’s efforts to encourage recreational boat tourism within the EU. The RYA also sought the Commission’s views on whether the tax was compatible with EU taxation laws. The European Commission reviewed the Greek legislation and concluded that the tax did not contravene EU law.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/country-specific-advice/Pages/greece.aspx

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 22 December, 2017 @ 11:48:14 »
Greek Recreational Craft Laws to Take Effect End of January

Laws regulating recreational craft, boats and watercraft are set to take effect at the end of January, the Greek shipping ministry announced this week.
https://news.gtp.gr/2017/12/21/greek-recreational-craft-laws-take-effect-end-january

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 22 December, 2017 @ 14:19:33 »
The new law translated.

The thirteenth article of Law 4211/2013 "Ratification Act of Legislative Content" settings to address extremely urgent and unforeseen needs "Greek Defence Systems SA." (Official Gazette A 256) is replaced as follows:
1. A specific charge was called "Finally Ships Recreation and Imeroploion" (TE.P.A.I.), which is borne by: a) pleasure craft and private business and b) professional tourist imeroploia.
The TE.P.A.I. charged for all within Greek territorial waters above pleasure craft and professional tourist imeroploia, regardless of their flag.
From TE.P.A.I. excluding decommissioned or seized vessels.
2. a. TE.P.A.I. calculated per year, the current month from the date of payment and shall be as follows
aa. For the total length of seven (7) to (8) meters to sixteen (€16) per month.
BB. For the total length of more than eight (8) measures for up to ten (10) meters in twenty-five (25 euros) per month.
c. For the total length of more than ten (10) meters and up to twelve (12) meters in thirty three (€33) per month.
d. For the total length of more than (12) meters per month eight (8) per meter, calculated from the first measure. The charge is reduced by twenty percent (20%) for recreational vessels and professional tourist imeroploia provided the exclusive business use.
b. A joint decision of Marine Ministers and Island Policy and Finance, it is possible to provide further reduction to 20% for the vessels of the case d of this paragraph if they enter and remain in the ports of countries - the European Union during the current calendar year. By the same CMD defines the special criteria, the method of receipt, for providing the discount and any other necessary details for the implementation of this paragraph.
c. In case of single prepayment TE.P.A.I. for a period of 12 months (one year) a discount of ten per cent (10%) in the amount due. Prepay place in December last year to the next or in January. The percentage of the discount provided can be adjusted by the Common Ministerial Decision of paragraph 6 of this.
d. For the calculation of TE.P.A.I. take account of the overall length of the vessel, which is listed on the nationality document or certificate of airworthiness or measurement certificate or the Permit to Operate.
3. a. The payment of TE.P.A.I. carried out with payment code issued electronically per month for each current month vessels intend to stay in the Greek Territory or off for the current year and up to twelve (12) months. Alternatively, if the patch Payment online is not possible, payment of TE.P.A.I. may be effected in any DOY or Port Authority or the Customs Authority in the case of recreational vessels flying the flag of non-EU country, in which case the customs authority issues and traffic bulletin (transitlog).
b. The payment receipt TE.P.A.I. kept with the shipping documents of the vessel and presented to the Port, Customs, Tax Authorities, when requested.
c. If port, Tax or Customs Authority found that has not been paid TE.P.A.I., detained the vessel is prohibited until the payment.
d. For the non-payment of TE.P.A.I. in addition to the payment of the fee prescribed by the Authority that the notes and fine as follows:
aa. For the total length of more than seven (7) meters up to eight (8) meters, one hundred and ninety (190) euro.
BB. For the total length of more than eight (8) meters and up to ten (10) meters, three hundred (300) euro.
c. For the total length of more than ten (10) meters and up to twelve (12) meters, four hundred (400) euro.
d. For the total length of more than twelve (12) meters, one thousand one hundred (1100) Euros.
e. For the charge notices and the fine is not paid that do not apply the provisions of article 63 of l. 4174/2013.
4. a. Any departure of the vessel from the Greek Territory for any reason, at any time before the expiry of TE.P.A.I. does not create an obligation to return any amount from the State.
b. In case of re-board the Greek Territory, while the TE.P.A.I. force, there is no requirement to pay again for the period until the expiry of its validity.
5.Ypochreos in payment of TE.P.A.I. are: a) the owner or operator of the recreational vessel or professional tourist imeroploiou or his legal representative, b) the owner or the owner or user of private recreational vessel. These are jointly and severally liable for each payment of TE.P.A.I.
6. By decision of the Ministers of Finance and Mercantile Marine and Island Policy sets out how the process and the performance time of TE.P.A.I., the procedure and the payment control authorities, the type and content of the certificate Acts of debt by not paying TE.P.A.I. and the fine of paragraph 3, the institutions that issue them, the institutions and the detention procedure and this waiver and any relevant detail to the provisions of this Article
7. For the purposes of this Article, the terms used have the following meaning:
a. Pleasure Boat: every vessels with a length of more than seven (7) meters sailboat or motor which can from general construction to be used for performing leisure travel.
b. Professional recreational vessel means the capacity pleasure boat up to forty-nine (49) passengers, whose holding is concluded total charter contract.
c. Private pleasure boat: the recreational vessel that is not professional in accordance with the provisions of the present case b paragraph.
d. Professional Tour Imeroploio: the small boat or recreational vessel or passenger tour boat, which falls under the provisions of Article 12 of l. 4256/2014 (A 92) as in force and that, regardless of their flag, conducts travelogue trip duration within the Greek territory, up to twenty four hours for the sole purpose of marine leisure and tour passengers via predetermined program by receiving passengers from abroad independently whether to disembark finally or not in Greece or picking up passengers from Greece provided that will finally disembark either in Greece or abroad or performing daily water travelogue trip to Greece having received their passengers from abroad and in order to complete their journey (final disembarkation of passengers) abroad.
8. TE.P.A.I. must stay in the Greek territory after the adoption of the Common Ministerial Decision referred to in para. 6 of this. "

Online TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 22 December, 2017 @ 19:19:16 »
That's cleared things up nicely

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 08:40:13 »
The TEPAI tax will finally come into operation from 02.04.19. More details here...

http://www.eagleray.gr/images/pdfs_corrections/etepai_e-brochure_en.pdf

and Q & A here....
http://www.eagleray.gr/images/pdfs_corrections/etepai_faqs_en.pdf