Author Topic: AVG Web TuneUp / Google Chrome  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
AVG Web TuneUp / Google Chrome
« on: Wednesday, 30 December, 2015 @ 04:07:00 »
AVG Chrome extension created security risk for millions of users

You’d like to believe that a company that develops security software wouldn’t be shipping software that makes its users less safe. That wasn’t the case for AVG’s WebTuneUp extension for Chrome, however.

What, exactly, is Web TuneUp? Well, it doesn’t make websites load faster or improve your browser’s performance, as the name implies. It’s actually a search “enhancement.” I put that in quotes, because it’s up to interpretation whether what Web TuneUp does actually enhances anything.

As of today, the issue has been closed. That’s certainly good news for Chrome users that are running Web TuneUp, though it might not be a bad idea for those folks to just head to their extensions page and remove it entirely.
http://www.geek.com/apps/avg-chrome-extension-created-security-risk-for-millions-of-users-1643286/

The way I understand it, Chrome now blocks Web TuneUp from auto-installing, according to Google Security Research, and anyone who wants it has to get it from the Chrome store. So, if you've got AVG Web TuneUp installed in Google Chrome you might want to check you've got the latest version, 4.2.5.169, or remove it.

Offline stevie

• Participant
    • Villa Margaret Rose
Re: AVG Web TuneUp / Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 30 December, 2015 @ 12:15:20 »
funny thing is when I clicked on yes when asked if I would like my AVG to add tune up, it then slowed my PC down and kept on updating for hours and getting stuck on 60%. I had to uninstall the whole of AVG and then download it again which took up valuable Christmas drinking time. what a pain

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 30 December, 2015 @ 16:12:38 »
took up valuable Christmas drinking time

:lol: Sorry, Stevie, it's not funny, really   :rofl:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 30 December, 2015 @ 18:46:49 »
took up valuable Christmas drinking time