Author Topic: "Held together by bandages"  (Read 6392 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
"Held together by bandages"
« on: Monday, 16 January, 2017 @ 18:06:55 »
Rhos-on-Sea man's appeal for hospital where X-ray machine was held together with bandages
Former Army Major Merfyn Thomas hopes to collect unwanted zimmer frames and crutches for dilapidated facility on Greek island of Kefalonia

A former Army Major injured when he fell from a horse on a Greek island has told of the “wonderful treatment” he received in a dilapidated hospital which had its X-ray machine held together by bandages.

Merfyn Thomas, from Rhos-on-Sea, was injured while holidaying on Kefalonia, when he fell as he dismounted the horse, breaking three ribs.

The 74-year-old, who has served in the Royal Welch Fusiliers and Territorial Army, said: “I received wonderful treatment at the hospital, was seen within 20 minutes and the staff were very kind.

“But I was pretty shocked to see the X-ray machine was held together by bandages and half the hospital was closed as they couldn’t afford to keep it open.

“The roofs were also leaking, and there weren’t many tiles on the wall in the bathroom after they had fallen off following an earthquake and so you were faced with bare brick.”

He now wants to try and help the hospital and is looking for donations of unwanted equipment to send to the idyllic island.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhos-sea-mans-appeal-hospital-12456854

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
Re: "Held together by bandages"
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 16 January, 2017 @ 22:39:34 »
Err, in the UK, when they are finished with zimmers etc are supposed to be returned to the NHS, so no one should have any for galloping Major's campaign.

That said, I'm all in favour of a campaign to benefit the Kef Hospital, but it should not be funded by the NHS, even indirectly.

Tin hat on, ducking back below the barricade.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 @ 14:49:24 »
Saw recently where half the hospitals in this country won't accept equipment back as they "SAY" it costs too much to clean them for re-use. I don't think walking sticks, Zimmer frames, crutches etc have to be exactly sterile.? I think someone had set up a collection service charity to go round picking up the items and taking them back for free. No wonder our health service is on its knees. Some of the bosses in the Health service that are earning fat cat wages need to be made accountable for some of the terrible wastage. Some very simple changes could make a vast difference!!Don't get me started on the repeat prescription farce. We have got our order delivered  from the chemist to find double medication, wrong items in the order and once its outside the chemists shop it can't be returned as its classed as used. Crackers! When I think of all these items being ditched and what use they could be to some of these desperate countries.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 @ 16:28:13 »
when they are finished with zimmers etc are supposed to be returned to the NHS

Quite agree, 'donating' a NHS item would be theft. But I'm pretty sure some people buy their own (and, e.g. wheelchairs).

Sounds a nice idea by the Major but I'm wondering how practical it would be... would Kef hospital ever get them back once they were issued on loan?

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 @ 13:11:21 »
If not pass on to Donna here on Kefalonia, who is building up a goodly supply of crutches, wheelchairs and frames for those to rent who have an accident while on holiday. The money goes to the  FLIK charity, to help the local hospital in Argostoli.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 16 February, 2017 @ 01:01:50 »
I'll bring my old truss over in May.