Author Topic: 16/01/14  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
16/01/14
« on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 11:48:14 »
Roadworks (trench being dug) on the main road into Poros between the two bridges, down to single lane in parts

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 16/01/14
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 11:59:01 »
Not sure I've understood this correctly but I gather a new, additional, 'holding facility' (prison) will be constucted in Lixouri for the Coast Guard / Port police. Also in various other ports around Greece. Gather it's in response to the number of illegal immigrants discovered in Greek territorial waters.

Again, not sure I've understood this correctly, but I gather Sami and Lixouri coast guard will also get  new / additional 'holding facilities'.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 12:07:15 »
Kef iKTEO doing 50% discount on motorcycle MOTs January - March, price now 19€. More info on 26710 20100

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 12:30:05 »
Edinburgh police search for 3-year-old who went missing from his bed overnight
Mikael Kular went to bed at home as normal but when his family woke up the next morning he had gone, say police
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10575996/Edinburgh-police-search-for-3-year-old-who-went-missing-from-his-bed-overnight.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 12:31:47 »
Melting glaciers in northern Italy reveal corpses of WW1 soldiers
The glaciers of the Italian Alps are slowly melting to reveal horrors from the Great War, preserved for nearly a century
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10562017/Melting-glaciers-in-northern-Italy-reveal-corpses-of-WW1-soldiers.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 12:41:13 »
Thomas Cook to shut Irish charter operation
Thomas Cook has announced a proposal to end all charter operations in Ireland, close its Dublin office and serve the country via its .ie website only.
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/01/15/46640/thomas+cook+to+shut+irish+charter+operation.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 13:32:32 »
Just checked and it's not 1st April, maybe I really have misunderstood this: ΕΛΤΑ are to trial a scheme (in Athens, at first) whereby for the elderly / infirm 'the postperson' will collect prescriptions from the pharmacy and deliver them to your door, to be followed by laundry collection/delivery and supermarket shopping (all for a fee, natch).

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 15:31:05 »
Roger Lloyd-Pack, who played Trigger in Only Fools And Horses, has died aged 69.

The actor, who also starred in the Vicar of Dibley as Owen Newitt, was a household name for his television performances which date back to 1965.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10576552/Only-Fools-and-Horses-actor-Roger-Lloyd-Pack-famous-for-Trigger-character-dies.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 18:07:17 »
TUI has unveiled its vision for the customer journey of the future in a new video.

The travel giant claims it is developing a holiday experience that will "know what you want before you do".

The video promises a range of technology innovations that will allow customers to:

- get advice and tips from other TUI customers who have shared their holiday memories

- order anything they've forgotten, for example sun cream, on the way to the airport and have it delivered to their airline seat

- be in contact with resort reps 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from the moment of booking

- pay for souvenirs and other items in resort with a mobile phone and have the amount added to their hotel bill

- use a mobile device on arrival at the airport to get directions to the transfer bus

- receive daily weather reports and recommendations for sightseeing and activities while in resort

- make special requests, like lactose-free ice cream, before the holiday.
http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2009817

TUI video

The "know what you want before you do" might suggest they're using tracking technology to know peoples' online viewing habits and preferences. Might be a winner, especially with folk who have plenty of dosh and don't want the hassle of shopping around and making decisions while on holiday. Not sure how much of this will be available on Kef and don't think it would have much appeal to me, looks like it's basically the tour company taking every opportunity to push their wares and tours (...to people who can't find the transfer coach). Each to their own.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 20:46:34 »
Brian May has sparked speculation that Queen could release a new song featuring the late Freddie Mercury's vocals, after the band unearthed the "magic" track.

The guitarist of the band took to his official website to tease the material, which was recorded before Freddie's death in 1991.

"What I can say is the track we dusted off has the four of us - Freddie, John, Roger and myself - playing together on a track we'd all forgotten about."
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/15/queen-new-song-freddie-mercury-vocals_n_4600779.html