Author Topic: Flights to Kefalonia  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Flights to Kefalonia
« on: Tuesday, 28 January, 2020 @ 03:04:21 »
Why are flights to Kefalonia becoming more costly?

For a flight of 1,500 miles each way, that may look expensive, but it is what the market is prepared to pay.

In “normal” summers, airlines would note the high fares prevailing to Kefalonia and elsewhere in Greece and add capacity to exploit the demand. But the continued grounding of the Boeing 737 Max after two fatal crashes means there is a significant shortage of capacity in the market.

The collapse of Thomas Cook, together with this prolonged shortage of suitable aircraft, is likely to keep prices high this summer. But the standard practice in aviation after a summer with very high fares is for capacity to pile in the following year, leading to a fall in prices. Not helpful for 2020, but perhaps for next summer.
https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/travel-questions/flights-kefalonia-greece-airline-cost-paris-winter-passport-airport-queues-a9302376.html

Offline Cheshirechick

• Participant
Re: Flights to Kefalonia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 30 January, 2020 @ 13:54:31 »
I have noticed that Jet2 flight prices to Kef have increased by 15 - 20% and I put it down to poor exchange rate and collapse of Thomas Cook. Needless to say I have booked for our usual June/July stay as I couldnt cope with miserable UK winter weather without the thought of coming out to Kephalonia.  :yahoo:

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
Re: Flights to Kefalonia
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 31 January, 2020 @ 16:01:34 »
As soon as the Kefalonia flights were announced for September, we booked, the flights have risen by £150 each since then, he who dares Rodders! :)
we are now waiting for the stupid prices to Kalamata in June to reduce, (they did last year) just after we had paid top whack, grrrrrrr.