Author Topic: Vet's view  (Read 8133 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Vet's view
« on: Thursday, 16 April, 2015 @ 15:27:11 »
VET’S VIEW: Do not be afraid to ask if volunteers need a hand

ONE of the nice things about visiting Greece, apart from helping the animals there, is the range of characters we meet along the way.

Pat and Dave are a couple who retired to Cephalonia, and have a lovely villa on the hills outside the capital, Argostoli – but they haven’t shed their English roots, and Dave still prefers his shepherd’s pie to what he calls ‘that Greek rubbish’!

Pat has a real heart for the animals and so has become the go-to person when any waif or stray turns up.

She finds it hard to turn anyone down, and over the years has accumulated a real menagerie, and each of the animals has its own story to tell.

It is the case that animal charities often rely on a few key individuals who, because of their commitment, end up shouldering the lion’s share of the work when, really, they would benefit from some help.
http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/columnists/vet-s-view-do-not-be-afraid-to-ask-if-volunteers-need-a-hand-1-6690673

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
Re: Vet's view
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 23 April, 2015 @ 17:30:28 »
This was the vet that recently spent two days neutering 60 cats - a record, we believe! What an interesting article and a good insight into the work that KATs ( and ARK) do to help the strays of Kefalonia and other volunteers around the Greek islands generally.

Thanks, Peter, we look forward to seeing you again, under better circumstances next time!
« Last Edit: Thursday, 23 April, 2015 @ 17:32:38 by jeanskala »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 23 April, 2015 @ 18:54:42 »
And thanks for the link to the Worthing Herald - my local rag as a kid.

Tony

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 24 April, 2015 @ 23:34:48 »

Tony
Me too Tony...Was in Worthing from 1969-1982!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 25 April, 2015 @ 00:39:56 »

Tony
Me too Tony...Was in Worthing from 1969-1982!

Big coincidence!  I lived in Lancing until I went to Uni (tho back for the vacs) in 1970 and went to the High School in Worthing.  My parents lived there until they died about 17 years ago. 

One of my strongest memories of my primary school was a visit to the Worthing Herald to see how the Linotype machine worked and how the pages were blocked up and then printed.  The machine is is now actually in a museum in (I think) Tunbridge Wells.

Quite a number of years ago Bryan posted a link to an old mate of his who still lives in Worthing.  I may still have it on the upstairs PC so I'll check. 

Worthing was about as unexciting a place to be a teenager in the 60's as you could find and was generally reckoned at the time to be the capital of the costa geriatrica.  The only highlight was Pete Townshend punching some kid from our school in the main street before performing at an early Who gig at the Assembly Rooms.  But Worthing was nowhere near as bad as Lancing.  Rather remarkably Radio 4 did a series of 3 comedy programmes about the town not long after I left - the main joke being how boring it was.  However I have fond memories as a younger child roaming round with my mates down to the beach or "up the downs" as it was/is known.

Tony

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 25 April, 2015 @ 03:19:28 »
nice to hear some memories Tony. I'm in the process of booking for Philadelphia to see the mighty Who for the last time on my happy birthday. Don't think Pete could swing one again like he did then !  Hope I die before I get old. Oh bugger' I'm old !

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 25 April, 2015 @ 15:29:59 »
Long way to go for a gig!  Not sure if Pete could even hold a guitar these days, let alone throw punches at law abiding Grammar school boys! 

Just did a Google on the Worthing gig and apparently it was 19 August 1965.  They did two more in '66 and again in '69 - nine days before Woodstock they played the crappiest of crap venues, Worthing Assembly Rooms!

Enjoy.   :btu:

Tony