Author Topic: 29/03/19  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
29/03/19
« on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 02:29:46 »
Greece’s first guide dog for the visually impaired has died

Lara, the first guide dog for the visually impaired in Greece died on Tuesday at the age of 16.

Lara had become a symbol of people suffering from visual impairment, as it haloed them move freely.

The black Labrador Retriever left its own legacy as it led to the establishment of the Lara Guide Dog School in Greece.
http://en.protothema.gr/greeces-first-guide-dog-for-the-visually-impaired-has-died/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 29/03/19
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 11:17:51 »
Police in UK searching for man with “small penis & low hanging testicles” who flashed student
http://en.protothema.gr/police-in-uk-searching-for-man-with-small-penis-low-hanging-testicles-who-flashed-student/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 11:18:36 »
Probably not this bloke:

Grieving dad claims daughter was killed by son-in-law’s huge penis
http://en.protothema.gr/grieving-dad-claims-daughter-was-killed-by-son-in-laws-huge-penis/

:blink:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 11:26:47 »
The long and winding road: Beatles fans waste thousands travelling to the wrong station

Beatles fans looking to visit the Abbey Road crossing have wasted thousands of pounds taking a long and winding road to the wrong station.

Rather than going to St John’s Wood Tube station, in north-west London, many Beatlemaniacs instead went to Abbey Road station in the city’s east.

A Freedom of Information request by Telegraph Money showed that 1,171 journeys were made from the Abbey Road station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to St John’s Wood on the Jubilee line in 2018. The majority of these are thought to have been lost Beatles fans.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/long-winding-road-beatles-fans-waste-thousands-travelling-wrong/

:iroll:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 11:31:15 »
'F*** knows. I'm past caring. It's like the living dead in here': Minister verdict on Theresa May bringing back her Brexit deal
Despairing minister castigates prime minister's 'inability to engage in the most basic human interaction'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-newsnight-minister-video-bbc-cabinet-vote-deal-eu-bbc-a8844851.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 11:39:04 »
Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022....

As a pedestrian they need to think about putting them on bicycles as well, been almost mown down several times by lycra clad cyclists who think they are on a velodrome, one was going through a pedestrian crossing red light using his mobile!! :bat:

Here you go, Misty:

Lord Winston calls for cyclist licence plates after challenging ‘abusive’ rider

Scientist and TV presenter Lord Winston has called for cyclists to have licence plates as he told of being attacked by a woman he had spoken to about riding on the pavement.

The IVF pioneer said he had been kicked by the woman when he stopped her as she was cycling through Bloomsbury, central London, on Wednesday.

She became “abusive” and tried to snatch his phone after he pointed out she was breaking the law, he said.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-29/lord-winston-calls-for-cyclist-licence-plates-after-challenging-abusive-rider/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 21:06:24 »
Greek Wine Is Trending, Depending on Whom You Ask

In a February 2019 article, “Greek Promise,” wine luminary Jancis Robinson wrote that the Mediterranean nation “ticks all the right boxes” when it comes to up-and-coming wine regions.

Those who follow drinks trends have heard these claims before. For several years, Greece has been dubbed wine’s “next big thing.” In 2015, Forbes described Greece in just four words: “Tough economy, great wine.” Two years later, the Independent declared Greek wine to be “officially having a moment.”

Now it’s 2019, and wine writers are once again crowing about Greece. This time, however, a variety of factors are occurring simultaneously and collectively elevating Greek wines from pet favorite to major player.
https://vinepair.com/articles/best-greek-wine-now/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 21:16:45 »
Mystery of Garfield phones on French beach solved after three decades

For more than 30 years, landline phones shaped like Garfield the cat mysteriously washed up on the coast of Brittany. Amused locals never quite understood where they came from. The enigma, however, has now been solved.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/29/mystery-garfield-phones-french-beach-solved-three-decades/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 21:17:48 »
Black and Asian students more than twice as likely to go to university than white students, new data reveals
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/29/black-asian-students-twice-likely-go-university-white-students/

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 29 March, 2019 @ 21:26:49 »
Greek Wine Is Trending, Depending on Whom You Ask
I enjoy Wine, Red Wine actually, my favourite is local wine served in the Taverna, around six europs a bucket full. you can keep your wine snobs, Mr cheapie wins every time.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 00:03:06 »
One of the big 'shocks' of returning to the UK was being asked a fiver for a 70 cl bottle of piss plonk. Don't know if you know Mike & Gill from Poros, expat - Gill's running a posh pub out in the sticks where they sell wine at £250-£300 / bottle (cheap wine is £14 a glass). If only we could still get our fave white from the 'corner shop' in a plastic bottle at 2.90€ for 1.5 litres...

:yiamas:

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 11:58:52 »
I don't know Mike and Gill, but i have to agree about the wine in plastic bottles, we used to buy Red locally, some of it is a very passable Wine, the only thing i found is that is does not keep very well once opened, but as it got drank that was never a problem! regarding glass bottled Wine, i always thought that Linos was very good!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 12:58:26 »
does not keep very well once opened

Aye, absolutely right there, expat - once we opened a bottle it didn't last long at all  ;)

Edit: oh yes, Linos - surprised us how drinkable it was for an inexpensive red
« Last Edit: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 13:01:06 by Maik »

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 18:35:54 »
Are Mike and Gill at the pub near us? Not surprised they charge that amount there .I do think there is a lot of hype around this wine lark? My nephew's wife is a sommelier  and has worked for some very upmarket places in London including the oldest wine sellers in London. .She supplied wine for Buck Palace and dealt with the wine for Prince Phillips Birthday. I don't know how she came to get the job as she was from a farming family in Co Durham and to my knowledge only learnt her trade in a large but exclusive hotel and Golf complex in Darlington. I just think its all a big con and folks are daft enough to pay stupid money just to say they have paid the earth for a bottle. Might just be me but I think some local run of the mill wines are very good. I don't get when they have people tasting wine and they come up with all the chat about what it tastes of. Every ones taste buds are different and some of the comments seem a bit daft!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 19:56:30 »
Are Mike and Gill at the pub near us?

Yes, that's the one. Doubt they serve retsina (or Linos) but Amstel's on tap.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, 31 March, 2019 @ 21:03:51 »
I doubt if they sell any Greek wines at all Maik.  To give my nephews wife her due she has tasted award winning wines sold by both Llidle and Aldi and has said they have been quite good so it goes to show that in an "Experts" opinion it's not all crap that they sell at the supermarket.Still think there is a lot of snobbery involved :hmm:

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, 31 March, 2019 @ 21:21:49 »
Lidl sell a Bordeaux 2017 for around £4 ish, it is very drinkable, my other preference would be Spanish Rioca  or Torres from the Supermarkets, not really a fan of Ausie wines.