Author Topic: Linux, a brief getting started guide  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Linux, a brief getting started guide
« on: Tuesday, 22 April, 2014 @ 06:44:26 »
A couple of people have asked me about Linux so, for anyone who's interested:
An average computer user's brief getting started guide to everyday Linux

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
Re: Linux, a brief getting started guide
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 22 April, 2014 @ 11:32:51 »
I have Linux Mint Cinnamon installed Dual boot with windows 7. Mine is a netbook so no dvd drive, I used a usb stick to download the ISO, tried it for a while, then installed it. I am still getting to grips with it and I like it, deffo worth a swap if you are running xp. Try it first though.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 14:59:38 »
I put it on my wife's XP PC about two years ago. She's not as tech savvy as you, mostly just using it for emails, letters, YouTube, Google and Facebook. I wanted to see if she could use it or if we needed to save up for Windows 7. If I'd told her it was the latest version of Windows, called Linux Mint, I don't think she'd have been any the wiser. Microsoft's loss is the local tavernas' gain  :yiamas:

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 19:48:28 »
I put it on my wife's XP PC about two years ago. She's not as tech savvy as you, mostly just using it for emails, letters, YouTube, Google and Facebook. I wanted to see if she could use it or if we needed to save up for Windows 7. If I'd told her it was the latest version of Windows, called Linux Mint, I don't think she'd have been any the wiser. Microsoft's loss is the local tavernas' gain  :yiamas:

I will continue to run XP on my desktop PC. Avast reckon they will continue to support it for 2 years and I have more confidence in Avast than with Windows updates for security.

I must try Linux sometime, but I have no urgency to do so yet. I have a Win7 Netbook and my wife and daughter have Win7 and Win8.1 laptops.... so plenty of belt and braces if needed.

I have little confidence nowadays with Microsoft products and have uninstalled all of my licensed copy of Microsoft Office. It became unworkable and unstable.

What I particularly hate about MS Office is the lack of backward and forward compatibility. It seems amazing that Microsoft force their users to keep buying their latest version.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 19:52:02 by Phil »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 20:33:46 »
Yep, reckon there's been a lot of scaremonering by people with vested interests. Couple of articles which might be of interest to anyone still using XP (and Avast gets an honourable mention):

How to protect your Windows XP system after April 2014

Windows XP End-of-Support is not the End of the World

If you know how to secure XP you've got a fighting chance. Of course, a lot of average users don't know how to do that, which is why they've ended up with malware even when security updates were available.

Thing is, if you do get around to giving Linux Mint a serious try on your XP machine you might well wonder why the heck you didn't do it earlier. If you can get your hands on a spare hard drive (or fancy dual booting)...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 20:35:54 by Maik »

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 14:31:19 »

Thing is, if you do get around to giving Linux Mint a serious try on your XP machine you might well wonder why the heck you didn't do it earlier. If you can get your hands on a spare hard drive (or fancy dual booting)...

I did a quick Google search and installing Linux Mint onto a USB stick for dual booting seems to be a good option to test it out.
I'll give it a go when we next get a wet day. Right now it is dry, sunny and relatively warm outside. ....... I really must go and cut the grass!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 16:37:15 »
You might find you're not impressed, Phil, especially if you're confident your XP is secure. But I think it's worth a little time trying Linux Mint – the time taken trying it might save you a lot of time keeping XP secure.

I've used XP since it was introduced and been very happy with it, so I'm no Linux fanboy bashing Windows. But... the 'how to secure XP' to-do list may be daunting for some and Linux Mint may be a far better, and easier, option. Vista users may find it superior, too.

For Windows users: Microsoft have started the 'ditch Windows 7 and buy Windows 8.1' campaign:

New Windows 7 Update Shows Up Just to Improve Upgrades to Windows 8.x

The latest update is for all versions of Windows 7 with SP1 and simply provides the installation of additional files to help the upgrade experience for those choosing to migrate to Windows 8.x.
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-7/new-windows-7-update-shows-just-improve-upgrades-windows-8x

Watch out for the 'buy Windows 9' campaign, it won't be so far off.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 31 May, 2014 @ 16:46:20 »
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Mate released for download, supported until April, 2019.