Author Topic: 'Peter Pan' malware  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
'Peter Pan' malware
« on: Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 @ 08:15:33 »
'Undetectable' Peter Pan computer virus threatens UK businesses
A sophisticated spam attack has raised the spectre of a new wave of undetectable viruses coming from eastern Europe

A Peter Pan pantomime in Bournemouth is being used as part of a sophisticated hacking attack from Eastern Europe that is targetting thousands of British businesss.

An email claiming to be a £145 invoice for nine tickets to a performance of Peter Pan at the Bournemouth Pavilion theatre contained an attachment that if opened installs a virus onto the receipent's computer.

The malware, which the email claims are the tickets for the pantomime performance, captures highly sensitive personal and commericial information including passwords and is almost "undetectable" by current anti-virus software.

The email has been targeted at businesses around the UK, breaching firm's electronic defences and spam filters.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11081602/Undetectable-Peter-Pan-computer-virus-threatens-UK-businesses.html

AV companies will probably get a grip on it soon, always best not to open emails from unknown sources, and being wary of clicking on links in any emails.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 'Peter Pan' malware
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 @ 18:39:04 »
Not just businesses, but also me! It got through my spam defense, but naturally I didn't open it. It was still in my deleted items, so I have copied it below.

YOUR E-TICKET(S) ARE ATTACHED TO THIS EMAIL, SENT TO xxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk. Please print ALL PAGES of the PDF file attached to the email and bring them with you to gain admission to the event.
The attachment requires that you have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, please click HERE to download and install this program.
TICKETS QTY TICKET TYPE PRICE EACH   TOTAL
Peter Pan
Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre
Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 7:00 PM  3 Early Bird - Price A 18.00   54.00
6 Early Bird Child Under 16 - Price A 15.00   90.00
Ticket Information
Circle/A 35-30 (6) , Circle/B 33-31 (3) 

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 'Peter Pan' malware
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 @ 22:32:15 »
Just checked my junk mail folder and there's a batch (claiming to be) from bhlivetickets@bhlive, subject line "Confirmation of Order Number xxxxxx".