Author Topic: Referendum poll  (Read 79404 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Referendum poll
« on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 01:50:30 »
EU referendum: Cameron sets June date for UK vote

The UK will vote on whether to remain in the EU on Thursday 23 June, Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

The prime minister made his historic announcement in Downing Street after briefing the cabinet.

He said he would be campaigning to remain in a reformed EU - and described the vote as one of the biggest decisions "in our lifetimes".

According to the latest opinion polls, the British public are thought to be fairly evenly split.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35621079

See also: UK EU vote for ex-pats

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: Referendum day
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 12:05:50 »
Does anyone really trust the polls these days?

Online TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 13:23:36 »
Great...four months of lies, scares, and obfuscation

The Special Agreement offers absolutely nothing concrete, and as someone once said (Sam Goldwyn?) a verbal agreement  isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

I'll need a holiday !!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Referendum poll
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 15:31:24 »
The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know

EU referendum: What is it and when is it?

Does anyone really trust the polls these days?

Haven't been too accurate in the UK or Greece lately, thought it might be interesting to see what's the opinion on GGi so I've added our own poll.

Yes, it'll probably get pretty intense and (even more) difficult to decide what's likely fact and what's a scare story. I'm undecided at present. Votes on the GGi poll can be changed.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Referendum poll
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 17:23:24 »
I was in the OUT camp before Cameron's negotiations, but I thought he could put right many of injustices we feel as British citizens. Unfortunately he appears to achieved nothing concrete and all he has are some vague promises, not even ratified by the EU council. What happened to our concerns about EU laws, overuling our own Government? I thought that was the main worry of most people and nothing has changed.
So, I am still in the OUT camp.
Unfortunately, we have no control over the vote, having been out of the country for more than 15 years!
« Last Edit: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 17:46:48 by Jolly Roger »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 18:19:31 »
Very good point, Rog. Maybe I should have included a preference for "Remain in a much reformed EU". Might've got my vote if it was an offer on the real life table.
« Last Edit: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 18:22:03 by Maik »

Online TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 22:17:40 »
"Remain in a much reformed EU"
That is exactly what Cameron's negotiations were supposed to deliver.
He's even suggesting that's what's been achieved. It hasn't.

I wouldn't want to be a member of the EU when Turkey joins, and I believe that's what will be offered to Turkey in return for it policing it's borders better. Once they can legally do so, 50million Turks heading for Northern Europe will be no less of a problem than 2 to 3 million Syrians

Most importantly though, if we do Leave, do you think it might adversely affect our Eurovision chances?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 23:24:19 »

Whichever way you vote who wants 4 months of this.  I mean we have months of shadow boxing already and in bloody slow-mo so the recent agreement with the EU adds a bit whatever you make of it but probably not that much.  So who dreamt up another 16 weeks of this stuff, that's 123 days?? If you're in, out or undecided 2 months would be more than plenty of time.  Six weeks would concentrate the mind and leave enough time to recover before heading off to Kef for a deserved break and an opportunity to see whatever the referendum result kicks off for Brits in the EU. 

:rant:

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 23:28:13 »
Turkey and the rest of the rubbish- Bosnia Herzegovina-Albania perhaps? Slovenia Ukraine ,Georgia," Come on down the Price is Right "God Help Us !!!I'm definitely OUT.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 21 February, 2016 @ 23:34:02 »
"Remain in a much reformed EU"
That is exactly what Cameron's negotiations were supposed to deliver.
He's even suggesting that's what's been achieved. It hasn't.

I wouldn't want to be a member of the EU when Turkey joins, and I believe that's what will be offered to Turkey in return for it policing it's borders better. Once they can legally do so, 50million Turks heading for Northern Europe will be no less of a problem than 2 to 3 million Syrians

Most importantly though, if we do Leave, do you think it might adversely affect our Eurovision chances?

Turkey's border is so long they'll never be able to police it, especially as much of it is semi-desert.  God knows what has been promised to the Turks for hosting 2.5 million refugees but they'll never be granted EU membership, just kept waiting for decades while they make further "democratic reforms". 

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Monday, 22 February, 2016 @ 00:39:01 »

If we had a referendum about that I know which way I'd vote.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 26 February, 2016 @ 02:55:48 »
Brexit would lead to more expensive flights and holidays, Cameron says
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/25/brexit-eu-referendum-more-expensive-flights-holidays-david-cameron

Anyone know why?

Online TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 26 February, 2016 @ 10:18:12 »
Punishment. For being disobedient.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, 27 February, 2016 @ 14:53:20 »
EU pauses plans to ban super-strength kettles out of fear it would drive tea loving Britons towards Brexit

The European Commission had been planning a number of measures to ban high energy appliances for environmental reasons. However it has now quietly shelved the ban due to concerns that backlash in Britain could drive the country towards a Brexit, The Financial Times reports.

The ban would have applied to a number of high powered household appliances which are much loved in the UK, including kettles and toasters. A senior EU official has reportedly said that the commission has paused plans to introduce the rules to be “sensitive to the British obsession with water kettles.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-pauses-plans-to-ban-super-strength-kettles-out-of-fear-it-would-drive-tea-loving-britons-towards-a6899551.html

Aye, don't mess with our cuppa

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 27 February, 2016 @ 15:51:57 »
This is precisely why (in my view) we need to leave the EU! Why should we be contributing towards the wages of these highly paid twots who dictate to us what shape our bananas should be, what kind of light bulbs we use, the engine size our hoovers should be - need I go on..?!! When did the Common Market change into the European parliament?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 27 February, 2016 @ 17:19:17 »
EU pauses plans to ban super-strength kettles out of fear it would drive tea loving Britons towards Brexit

The European Commission had been planning a number of measures to ban high energy appliances for environmental reasons. However it has now quietly shelved the ban due to concerns that backlash in Britain could drive the country towards a Brexit, The Financial Times reports.

The ban would have applied to a number of high powered household appliances which are much loved in the UK, including kettles and toasters. A senior EU official has reportedly said that the commission has paused plans to introduce the rules to be “sensitive to the British obsession with water kettles.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-pauses-plans-to-ban-super-strength-kettles-out-of-fear-it-would-drive-tea-loving-britons-towards-a6899551.html

Aye, don't mess with our cuppa

Er... is this genuine??  Two points:

I just about managed to pass O level physics having no natural aptitude but having worked very hard.  One of the few things I remember was that it takes a fixed amount of heat to boil a kettle.  Doesn't matter whether it is fast or slow - it's the same amount.  The only thing that matters is putting more water than you need in the kettle or re-boiling it after it has already boiled and then cooled down.  So it makes no difference if you have a "super-fast" kettle.

And of course the Germans and the French who drink a lot of coffee - not forgetting the Italians who drink gallons litres of the stuff - use little piles of lighted twigs in their kitchens when they make a brew.   ;)

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, 27 February, 2016 @ 17:36:04 »
Er... is this genuine??

Not sure if the EU is concerned about Brits voting to exit over a cuppa but all sorts of appliances are going to be meddled with:

Now Europe comes for the Sunday roast: Brussels to impose maximum power limit on all new gas and electric ovens from next month

Brussels are set to impose a maximum power limit on gas and electric ovens next month which could threaten the Sunday roast.

An EU ruling will require 'new energy efficiency requirements for ovens, hobs and range hoods' by next month.

Officials insist it will cut waste and improve value for money, but critics fear it will take longer to warm up ovens to cook the Sunday joint.

New measures will be brought on February 26 for electric and gas-fired ovens. Shops will still be able to sell existing models, but an eco-design directive will be introduced over several years.

Eurocrats say all changes will save an average household about £32 a year.

But the measures have been criticised by some MEPs who say it is further evidence of EU chiefs meddling in our everyday lives.

The planned changes follow a string of controversial energy-saving measures brought in by the EU and aim to cut costs, improve competitiveness and reduce carbon emissions.

New measures came into effect on January 1 which demand that everything from computer modems to 'smart' televisions must have the ability to go into standby mode if no task is performed for several minutes.

Although coffee machines bought at Christmas are likely to be exempt from the ruling, new ones must meet the stringent EU energy regulations.

The new rules state that drip filter coffee machines that have insulated jugs to keep the drink warm must power down their heated plate or element five minutes after brewing.

Those with non-insulated jugs must go on standby within 40 minutes of use. Espresso machines should turn off after half an hour.

Elsewhere, traditional lightbulbs have been axed and Europe barred powerful vacuum cleaners in September in what was later dubbed 'Hoovergate' and which sparked a stampede to buy high-power models in the UK.

The directive banned vacuum cleaners of more than 1,600 watts in an attempt to reduce energy consumption and this will be further reduced to 900 watts by 2017.

The EU is also expected to impose limits on high-power hairdryers, irons, kettles, toasters and even lawn mowers.

A spokesman for the European Commission said: 'These policies save money, help tackle climate change and reduce energy imports from Russia and the Middle East.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2895999/Now-Europe-comes-Sunday-roast-Brussels-impose-maximum-power-limit-new-gas-electric-ovens-month.html

There's similar in the Telegraph: EU to ban high-energy hair dryers, smartphones and kettles

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 27 February, 2016 @ 17:37:45 »
When did the Common Market change into the European parliament?

Hm, yes, that was a sneaky move (well, IMO)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 28 February, 2016 @ 14:38:11 »
Tories want to quit EU to 'scrap workers' right to paid holiday'
Shadow Business Secretary says Tory eurosceptics want to scrap many legal protections

European Union legislation mandates that member states must by law give workers four weeks of paid leave, while the principle of equal pay for equal work has been embedded in treaties since the bloc's founding.

There were reports last year that David Cameron might negotiate away workers’ rights as part of plans to cut “red tape” across the EU. Though the PM has secured largely unspecified cuts to “red tape” this plan appears to have been dropped.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-workers-rights-paid-holiday-brexit-labour-angela-eagle-a6901146.html

:hmm:

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 28 February, 2016 @ 20:57:18 »
Hi Maik
Re the GGi poll, can you tell me how to change a vote please, not ready to yet but when I see the poll I only see results without access to change.
Thank You

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, 28 February, 2016 @ 21:18:59 »
I thought maybe it was just me (I'd looked just in case I made a decision!). Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can figure out.

...a few minutes GMT  ;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, 28 February, 2016 @ 21:53:52 »
OK, sorted, very easy actually (I'd missed ticking a box when I created the poll  :iroll:)

On the right hand side under the poll you should now find a 'REMOVE VOTE' option, click that, it removes the vote you cast and enables you to vote again.
 :)

Offline johnt7959

• Participant
« Reply #22 on: Monday, 29 February, 2016 @ 08:57:47 »
I do not seem to be able to find the GGI poll.
Can you show a link please?

John T

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Monday, 29 February, 2016 @ 11:10:22 »
Thanks Maik, glad it was an easy fix for you

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Monday, 29 February, 2016 @ 12:02:57 »
I do not seem to be able to find the GGI poll.
Can you show a link please?

Scroll up to top of page, John, should be there for you. Or just click here.