Author Topic: Kefalonia Bus Timetable  (Read 72225 times)

Offline Mary

• Forum Hero
Kefalonia Bus Timetable
« on: Thursday, 14 May, 2015 @ 18:33:38 »
Ktel bus timetable available under Routes tab on http://www.ktelkefalonias.gr/en    :btu:

Edit: title amended
« Last Edit: Friday, 15 May, 2015 @ 14:30:37 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Kefalonia Bus Timetable
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 15 May, 2015 @ 15:06:23 »
A-ha, what was another of Kefalonia's closely guarded secrets is now openly available to people who want to use the bus service!

Just to make life a little easier, here's the individual links (so far):

From Argostoli
From other places (e.g. Skala, Sami)
Argostoli-Lassi-Argostoli
Lourdas (not yet available)
Kefalonia-Patras-Athens / Athens-Patras-Kefalonia

Might seem slightly confusing as you can, apparently, depart e.g. Poros for Agia Efimia any day at 15:50 (only) and return the same morning at 07:00. OK if you plan to stay at least one night.

Looks as though, as usual, service and times liable to change at short notice (and, possibly, without the KTEL website being updated immediately) as KTEL advises customers to "contact our agencies to get informed for any schedule’s changes". Here's how to contact KTEL.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 17 May, 2015 @ 15:24:57 »
Just noticed that some of those links are period specific and may change, probably best to use the link direct to KTEL Kefalonias or, if the bus times are critical to your journey, contact KTEL.

See also: Buses
« Last Edit: Sunday, 17 May, 2015 @ 15:33:30 by Maik »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 17 May, 2015 @ 20:27:54 »
Baffling as usual!  :unsure:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 22 May, 2015 @ 14:15:45 »
A few minor additions to the KTEL Kefalonias website, looks like the Airport service will be running but no schedule as yet.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 11 June, 2015 @ 22:12:03 »
Baffling as usual!  :unsure:

More timetables now available, only had a quick look but the plan seems to be to offer a more comprehensive service this year, e.g. from Skala to Sami, Drogarati & Melissani via Poros. In the Skala & Katelios section Apostolata gets a spot of its own. Not clear if the KTEL Apostolata service will stop along the way, e.g. at Porto Skala and San Giorgio. 
:dunno:

A 'phone call to KTEL today suggests it's best to 'phone ahead to confirm the service will actually be running on the day you want to travel 
;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 18 June, 2015 @ 19:46:44 »
Not clear if the KTEL Apostolata service will stop along the way, e.g. at Porto Skala and San Giorgio.

Seen the bus [nice, new, white, 30(?) seater] - appeared to be empty, not sure many people know about the new service. The new bus stop signs are a bit hard to spot but noticed one tucked away among the bushes between Nine Muses-Anassa, one outside Regina Dell Acqua, another outside Tesoro Blu... then didn't see any sign out Pelagos Bay, Apollo, Porto Skala, San Giorgio or Asteris (maybe I just didn't see them, I was driving at the time). One outside Apostolata. I'll try to grab a piccie tomorrow so we have an idea what they look like.

BTW, looks like it's not just the Skala service that's improved but also the Katelios and Poros bus service - we'll have to see how it works out!
« Last Edit: Thursday, 18 June, 2015 @ 19:50:45 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 20 June, 2015 @ 01:09:51 »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 20 June, 2015 @ 13:02:12 »
The KTEL site seems actually quite helpful and some bits are even clear when you look at it  :btu: .

Is this what is referred to as the "local minibus" in the timetableHowever the timetable only gives it as going between Katelios - Skala - Apostolata and not Poros.  Two trips each way 7 days a week. 

Quite a few additional times on the timetable, the most helpful of all is restoring the bus to Fiskardo on Mon/Wed/Fri until the beginning of July then Mon-Fri until the end of August.  Leaves at 0915 and returns at 1630.  Cheap way of getting a good part of the day in Fiskardo when the round the island tours only give an hour and even Vangelis' boat trip is only a couple of hours or so.  We remember being able to do this when we first went to Katelios in the 90's until it stopped.  The only thing was it took about 2 - 2 1/2 hours each way back then.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 20 June, 2015 @ 13:36:15 »
Yes, it looks clear. Way it reads to me, if you want to go from Katelios to Poros you need to take the 'Intercity' bus. The 'local mini-bus' departs Poros and goes to Katelios, but I can't see any sign of it departing Katelios for Poros, only to Skala. It leaves Skala at 17:30 for Poros, departs Poros 18:15 for Skala and Katelios. At 19:15 it departs Katelios for Skala, then departs Skala at 21:00 for Poros. Leaves Poros at 21:45 for Skala and Katelios, departs Katelios 22:45 for Skala.

Simples?  :hmm:

Let's hope enough people use the service(s) for it to pay its way and continue in operation.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 21 June, 2015 @ 14:18:20 »
didn't see any sign out Pelagos Bay, Apollo, Porto Skala, San Giorgio or Asteris (maybe I just didn't see them, I was driving at the time).

Managed to spot a bus stop almost outside Pelagos Bay and one between Porto Skala and San Giorgio.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Monday, 22 June, 2015 @ 00:22:01 »
Timetables now on the bus stops outside Symposium and Apostolata... maybe they'll appear on the ones in between.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 10 July, 2015 @ 11:41:23 »
Here is a simplified version of the local bus timetable

LOCAL BUS TIMETABLE

Katelios to
Skala
                                                                          Skala to Katelios         
Monday to Friday   11:20        14:45   19:15   22:45      06:00   09:00   17:00   18:45   22:15
Saturday                                14:45   19:15   22:45                 09:00              18:45   22:15
Sunday                                         19:15   22:45                                       18:45   22:15

Skala to Poros                                                         Poros to Katelios         
Monday to Friday      11:40   17:30   21:00                                  16:30   18:15   21:45
Saturday                                     17:30   21:00                                               18:15   21:45
Sunday                                 17:30   21:00                                               18:15   21:45

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 10 July, 2015 @ 14:13:59 »
Thanks, Jean. M-W-F there also a Katelios - Skala - Poros bus departing Katelios 09:15, Skala 09:30

Probably an idea for folk to keep an eye on the schedules on the KTEL Kefalonia site as times *may* change sometime soon - the  schedule for Skala area was due to expire 05/07/15.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 11 July, 2015 @ 12:02:16 »
This is the timetable from 7/7/15.

Sorry the table's not in line, it was when I posted it!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 11 July, 2015 @ 14:14:54 »
Never found word processors that easy to get on with for tables, and message boards tend to be a bit the same. You could try toggling On/Off in the WYSIWYG option in your Profile settings - although that *may* affect other settings and options. Using a font such as Courier, where all the letters are the same width, might line things up better (see http://goinggreek.info/index.php?topic=1620). Another way is to set it out in a spreadsheet, then screenshot and post as a pic. Works OK enough for the monthly charter flight arrivals.

Have we got a (claimed) expiry date? I've seen some websites that show Kef bus timetables that are several years / seasons out of date, so start and end dates might help people know whether what's posted may still be valid. If the KTEL site isn't up to date... that's not my problem.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 00:12:28 »
Must admit, I don't find the KTEL version of the timetables the easiest in the world to figure out so it's handy to have Jean's version, we just need to be clear (as possible) what period it applies to. Had a look this evening at the bus stops near Tara Beach and Apostolata, still showing the timetable that expired 05/07/15 so looks like this has been temporarily(?) extended, new version to be issued at some time in the near(?) future.

When the latest version is available it's possible the times will change, and/or other times added.

Thursday night I passed a queue of people waiting at the Skala taxi rank. Just ahead of us was the local bus. I figured that, maybe, the people queuing for a taxi were going to Livadaki or somewhere else off the bus route. Then three taxis passed us, two turned into San Giorgio and one into Apostolata.

Bit hard to justify continued provision if the bus service isn't used and, IMO, it would be a shame to lose it. Maybe KTEL could promote it a bit more (timetable at *all* bus stops?) - and in an easier to follow format.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 01:13:46 »
Katelios <-> Skala <-> Poros Bus
...in large lettering down the side of the bus would help

Similarly, a large "Water Taxi" down the side of the boat wouldn't go amiss either

Isn't there a vinyl sign shop somewhere on Kef?

If t'were me, I'd be bunging the transfer coach drivers to hand out flyers
(as well as the girl handing out Veronica's leaflets on the beach)

Sometimes seems as if Kef's entrepreneurs think the tourists are psychic
« Last Edit: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 01:26:47 by TonyD »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 14:44:28 »
Well, there is now a nice vinyl (and readably large) sign in the rear window and a modern, electronic scrolling display - in a nice shade of green oops, white - atop the windscreen.

BIG letters down the side does sound like a good idea! (...so it'll probably never happen).

Edit: Oops
« Last Edit: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 23:29:12 by Maik »

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 15:31:57 »
Front is better - so you see it when it's coming.
Put it on the side and you won't see it till it passes you ffs :doh:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 16:59:20 »
Ah, but you'd know the local bus has passed you and maybe word will get round. At the moment it's very anonymous from the side, could easily be a tour coach.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 18:28:51 »
Front is better - so you see it when it's coming.
Put it on the side and you won't see it till it passes you ffs :doh:
Possibly. If you're fortuitously standing at a bus stop as it approaches, and had no other plans for the day.   :oki:
Alternatively, when you're sitting in a bar/restaurant, and a bloody great white object suddenly blots out the light, seeing that it's a Kat-Skala-Poros bus might make you decide to plan a trip.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 20:30:27 »
Must admit, I don't find the KTEL version of the timetables the easiest in the world to figure out so it's handy to have Jean's version, we just need to be clear (as possible) what period it applies to. Had a look this evening at the bus stops near Tara Beach and Apostolata, still showing the timetable that expired 05/07/15 so looks like this has been temporarily(?) extended, new version to be issued at some time in the near(?) future.

When the latest version is available it's possible the times will change, and/or other times added.

Thursday night I passed a queue of people waiting at the Skala taxi rank. Just ahead of us was the local bus. I figured that, maybe, the people queuing for a taxi were going to Livadaki or somewhere else off the bus route. Then three taxis passed us, two turned into San Giorgio and one into Apostolata.

Bit hard to justify continued provision if the bus service isn't used and, IMO, it would be a shame to lose it. Maybe KTEL could promote it a bit more (timetable at *all* bus stops?) - and in an easier to follow format.

I'm sure there was a timetable from July to August when I first checked but you are right, it is up to 05/0715! The local bus seems to be keeping to the times on the timetable though.

I did think about printing off some A5 copies of my version of the timetable with the additional bus you told me about Maik, and leave them in the supermarkets/kiosks. What do you think? like you say, we need to encourage more people to use the bus or the Skala businesses will stop funding it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 20:37:31 by jeanskala »

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 23:29:54 »
As a tourist I would say "Great idea Jean", maybe you could give them out at your wonderful quiz nights too.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, 12 July, 2015 @ 23:39:50 »
JMO, nice idea but I'd leave it to KTEL. Chances are you'll print and distribute them and, without warning, the timetable will change. I doubt the supermarket owners / workers use the bus so they probably won't know (or care)  it's changed and will continue to give out the leaflets. If they don't dump 'em in a dark, forgotten corner - they'll want the prime space for stuff that makes 'em money. But it's your time, effort and money so entirely up to you.