Author Topic: As it was  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
As it was
« on: Saturday, 28 April, 2018 @ 13:39:38 »
Beautiful Cretan Village Celebrates Past Professions

Avdou is a small village of only 500 people located approximately 40 kilometers (24 miles) east of Heraklion, the capital city of Crete. The tiny hamlet and its inhabitants are proud to maintain some of the oldest traditions of the island.

In the alleyways of the beautiful village, everybody can enjoy views of the past. Almost every house and every shop in the small town has a traditional sign of professions of the past, many of which have long been abandoned or replaced by more modern occupations.

This unique spectacle is an idea of the inhabitants and the cultural association of the village to remember the old and to teach the younger generations about their rich heritage — a perfect combination of tradition and craft.
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/04/27/beautiful-cretan-village-celebrates-past-professions-video/

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: As it was
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 28 April, 2018 @ 14:55:51 »
Nice vid and nice signs. Had me reaching for my dictionary when I couldn't figure out the pic. Makes the village seem like a hive of activity in the past, but looks rather the opposite now. Quite moving in its way.

Tony

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 28 April, 2018 @ 18:45:42 »
Interestingly, the diairesis on the first I in ΥΠΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΠΟΪΕΙΟ, ΑΡΤΟΠΟΪΕΙΟ and ΣΑΓΜΑΤΟΠΟΪΕΙΟ is wrong, Tony (it would be pronounced "oy-ee-o" if there were a diairesis, but it wasn't).  Plus, in those days there would have been a final N on all these words, just like there is in ΚΑΦΕΝΕΙΟΝ in the video.  Nice video, though.  Crete's very own Beamish or Black Country Museum!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 29 April, 2018 @ 12:59:54 »
Didn't notice, Bryan, although ARTOPOIEIO is still very commonly seen. I was more trying to work out saddle maker!  They were obviously trying too hard to make it look old.  BTW what did a tinsmith make??!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 29 April, 2018 @ 15:16:50 »
Hm, some were quite easy, knowing a bit of Greek, as they're still pretty much in use today - such as the coffee shop, the baker's shop and the cig shop. Not sure how many παντοπωλειο there are these days, ΣΟΥΠΕΡΜΑΡΚΕΤ seems more popular for little corner shop grocery stores.

The piccies helped, I figure:
ΥΠΟΔΗΜΑΤΟΠΟΙΕΙΟ = shoe maker
ΣΑΓΜΑΤΟΠΟΙΕΙΟ = saddle maker
ΒΑΡΕΛΟΠΟΙΕΙΟ = cooper / barrel maker

Some are a bit more difficult for me to figure out...
ΤΕΝΕΚΕΤΖΙΔΙΚΟ - I couldn't figure at all
ΜΟΥΝΟΥΧΙΣΤΗΡΙΟ - early form of veterinary practice?
ΧΑΡΚΙΔΕΙΟ - blacksmith / metal worker?
ΚΥΡΑΤΖΗΣ - 'white van man'? - well, white donkey man - transported people and/or goods?

Bit surprised not to see a ΚΡΕΟΠΩΛΕΙΟ (butcher's shop) or a ΛΑΧΑΝΟΠΩΛΕΙΟ (fruit & veg shop), but then maybe the pantopoleio catered for their needs, or they grew their own.

Tony: I'm thinking the tinsmith would've made - among other things - Greek kettles (briki) and the little wine jugs - see last paragraph here.

:yiamas:

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 30 April, 2018 @ 12:51:24 »
( With my Metallurgist hat on - or maybe that should be helmet 😁)

Mail is right. That is what Tinsmiths did. Blacksmiths did the heavy, usually not processing, and Tinsmiths did the thinner lighter products, usually using not a lot of heat. Not every village would have one, others were served by itinerant travelling ones, the Original Tinkers.