Author Topic: Katelios fire  (Read 9249 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Katelios fire
« on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 14:56:39 »
School evacuated in Cephalonia due to blaze

A high school was evacuated by local authorities on the island of Cephalonia on Thursday after a second fire broke out in grassland between the villages of Pastra and Katelio in the southeast.

Deputy regional governor Panagis Drakoulogonas ordered the evacuation of the school, located in Pastra, for precautionary reasons, according to state-run news agency ANA-MPA.

Fire fighters have been struggling to contain two separate fronts on the island, one near the village of Zola, where some homes were evacuated on Wednesday, and the new one in Pastra and Katelio, but gale force winds were hampering their efforts.

Earlier this morning, a fire service vehicle overturned at a crossroads in Argostoli and two fire men were lightly injured.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/233018/article/ekathimerini/news/school-evacuated-in-cephalonia-due-to-blaze

Brief report on protothema.gr re the fire in Zola, AFAIK it was under control and pretty much extinguished around 04:00 this morning

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Katelios fire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 15:19:00 »
Within yards of properties at the top end of Ano Katelios now, and the bamboo's popping.
Usefully a van of firefighters and then a fire engine have just arrived, so fingers crossed.

Very thick smoke drifting straight down toward and through Kato Katelios, so could be Kippers on the menu tonight.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 16:09:57 »
Latest: 16:00
Properties in Ano Katelios ordered to evacuate.
Another fire tender and both Camels in attendance, but helicopter no longer here.
From my vantage point I can see fire has split three ways, and is heading toward Pastra, Markopolous, and up and over the mountain toward Ratzakli
White ash and thick smoke Kato Katelios

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 16:46:34 »
I understand schools are closed tomorrow because of the high winds.....

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 17:34:46 »
I gather elderly occupants in Ano Katelios have been moved out for their own safety, the fire is just outside Markopoulo and approaching Skala. Don't know if TonyD has any updates on that.
« Last Edit: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 17:36:21 by Maik »

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 18:37:56 »
As I left Katelios, the police were closing roads in....
Now in Mavrata, watching the fire come over the hill behind us!

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 20:05:24 »
I gather people are being evacuated, or evacuating themselves, from Ano Katelios and also Ratzakli and heading for the beach.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 21:34:24 »
Village in Cephalonia evacuated as fires rage unchecked

Authorities on Thursday ordered the evacuation of the village Ano Kateleio in Cephalonia as fires on the island continued to rage unchecked in Lagada, Kateleio, Kourkoumelata and Mantzavinata, fanned by winds of up to 10 Beaufort.

Talking to the Athens-Macedonian News Agency (ANA), deputy regional governor Panagis Drakoulogonas described the situation as “chaotic” and warned that the night could become “nightmarish” unless fire-fighting aircraft were able to take to the air before sunset and douse the flames.

“With the help of the police we evacuated the village of Ano Kateleio and told residents to head toward the beach,” he said.

There have been no reports of homes burnt or injuries so far, while the fire is rapidly making its way toward the villages Ratzakli and Skala, while the strong winds prevent reinforcements from reaching the island to help fight the fire.
http://www.amna.gr/en/article/296276/Village-in-Cephalonia-evacuated-as-fires-rage-unchecked
« Last Edit: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 21:39:51 by Maik »

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 27 September, 2018 @ 22:03:41 »
We hope and pray that everyone remains safe.Not a good situation with the winds.Thinking of you all out there. Thoughts of 2007 when we were out there in similar circumstances.Good Luck everyone   

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 08:29:52 »

A few pictures I took from various places. I was visiting my cousin at Dreams and we were evacuated to the beach. Stayed there about an hour and decided to make a break. Managed to get to Ratzakli and then a long detour over the hills back home. The firefighters have done an amazing job overnight and all is under control this morning.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 09:44:47 »
We were given an alternative villa in Trapezaki, and going by Roger's encouraging description of Katelios this morning, look forward to returning there for breakfast as soon as we can.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 11:56:23 »

This was the scene from Santa Barbara yesterday. If we had stayed there, we would have been overcome by smoke, as were some of the people in the recent Athens fires. Below is the scene there this morning.

« Last Edit: Saturday, 29 September, 2018 @ 08:27:07 by Jolly Roger »

Offline H

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 12:53:01 »
Hi, I am new to this forum.
My husband and I were in Katelios earlier this year and there was a fire over the hillside, nothing like this. The scale of this fire must have been very worrying for residents with homes and businesses there.
I hope everyone is ok and there were no injuries. Wishing you all well.  H

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 14:29:52 »
 :yiasou:

Welcome to GGi, H. From what I gather the firefighters, as usual, did a fantastic job and there were no (serious) injuries and little serious damage. I heard one wooden bungalow caught fire but that's hearsay. From memory, Kef suffered fewer fires this summer than the last few summers but bush fires are quite common hence the firefighters - full time, part time and volunteers - have a pretty good idea of what to do and how to do it, although I gather they were a bit short of aerial support this time so they did really well to tackle it.

Hopefully you'll be able to get back to Katelios early next summer, by which time it will all be quite green and flowery again.

Offline H

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #14 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 17:18:16 »
Hi Maik,
Thank you for the warm welcome.
The firefighters really do an amazing job with what they have to battle with, its quite incredible.
We are returning sooner than that.... in October.  Apparently it is lovely there when the tourism slows down.  We have been visiting Kefalonia for the last 15 years or so, with our children. We love your beautiful island so much that we are in the process of purchasing a property there and hope to make some good friends in the community.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Friday, 28 September, 2018 @ 20:46:57 »
We are returning sooner than that.... in October.  Apparently it is lovely there when the tourism slows down.

Indeed, October can be a lovely month on Kef! Recently greekreporter.com announced it as one of the four best Greek islands to visit in October, here's what they say:

Kefalonia is known for its beautiful seas in various shades of blue. In October, the average temperature on the island is 18°C, or 64°F, and the average sea temperature is 23°C, or 73°F. Enjoy you October vacation on this island that is dotted with traditional villages and seeped in culture.

Couple of things to bear in mind: it gets dark a lot earlier and likely you'll find tavernas, bars and shops closing down around you as the end of the season approaches. The tranquility probably makes up for it.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #16 on: Friday, 26 October, 2018 @ 15:36:46 »
Sorry, a bit late, news-wise. You were correct Maik, a wooden apothiki/barn attached to a small Greek house in Ano Katelios was burned but the firefighters did their usual marvellous job in saving all of the houses - although there were some very close calls. We (and the dogs) were evacuated, leaving the cats shut in with cat flaps open in case the outside ones wanted in. We initially collected at the plateia across from Dumas/Pacifae but after an hour and the fire heading our way, we ended up at Thiramina.

The Greek Eriksson fire helicopter worked its rotors off until the light went - was back up early the following morning damping down - amazing pilots.

After the horrific scenes and disorganisation at Mati, Athens, there were more police than we've ever seen, dealing with the evacuations and directing people away from the fires.

We eventually were allowed to return after midnight - the hills on the way down looking as if covered with christmas lights, with all the small fires still burning and the trunks of the olive trees opposite our houses also still burning and embers blowing around in the strong winds, until dowsed by our landlord and his trusty hose.

Not as bad as 2007 - not as many square kms burned but certainly closer for us in Ano.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Friday, 26 October, 2018 @ 19:21:31 »
Great photo!  :btu:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 28 October, 2018 @ 13:43:57 »
Glad to hear you and all your four legged companions were OK.  Amazing pic. 

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 28 October, 2018 @ 14:33:12 »
Thank goodness you were all ok Jean. A very frightening situation. Hopefully with the Winter rains all will be returned to green.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #20 on: Friday, 16 November, 2018 @ 13:27:04 »
The land is greening up nicely already.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Friday, 16 November, 2018 @ 19:29:59 »
So lovely to hear that. Give my love to Skala Jean. Always in my thoughts!!