Author Topic: I Know Where Your Cat Lives  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
I Know Where Your Cat Lives
« on: Sunday, 22 November, 2015 @ 02:36:39 »
I Know Where Your Cat Lives: Feline photo mapping website exposes how easy it is to track the owner's location
Website highlights issue of internet privacy by mapping cat pictures posted on social media to within eight metres

A Florida professor has created a website that highlights the issue of internet privacy by mapping pictures of cats posted on social media by their owners to within eight metres, using publicly accessible geographical location data.

Owen Mundy, art professor at Florida State University, has created I Know Where Your Cat Lives, which is part art project, part cute pictures and part project to raise privacy issues. It will go on display in the UK for the first time in an exhibition at Somerset House, London next month. Big Bang Data, which opens on 3 December, explores the effect of the explosion of data generated by people’s online activity in their everyday lives.

“The web economy has grown based completely on surveillance,” Professor Mundy said, and added that he wanted to find a way of raising awareness of how much data people were making publicly available, often without realising it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/i-know-where-your-cat-lives-feline-photo-mapping-website-exposes-how-easy-it-is-to-track-the-owners-a6743621.html

iknowwhereyourcatlives.com

Can't honestly say I was too impressed with the website but, bearing in mind how many people post pics of their cats/kids online, removing EXIF metadata from piccies ain't a bad idea.

What is EXIF Data and How Do You Remove it from Your Photos?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: I Know Where Your Cat Lives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 22 November, 2015 @ 18:57:22 »
Scary - turn off geolocation on your phone's camera - now!

Tony

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 23 November, 2015 @ 06:33:54 »
Do you have to do that before or after you put the film in?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 @ 02:05:04 »
National emergency? Belgians respond to terror raids with cats

An official request for citizens to avoid tweeting anything that could inform terrorists what is going on resulted in a national outbreak of pet pics

Belgian police later thanked the cats for their help.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/22/national-emergency-belgians-respond-with-cats

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 @ 14:19:49 »
National emergency? Belgians respond to terror raids with cats

An official request for citizens to avoid tweeting anything that could inform terrorists what is going on resulted in a national outbreak of pet pics

Belgian police later thanked the cats for their help.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/22/national-emergency-belgians-respond-with-cats

Looking at the pics on the Grauniad site I reckon there could be a few jihadi cats among them.  Definitely a few bearded mullahs wearing djellabas and the odd hijab. We need to watch out for them - they can get in anywhere, lock-down or not!  ;)

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 @ 14:58:05 »
Think they were in undercover cats  ;)