Author Topic: How old's that hire car?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
How old's that hire car?
« on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 12:07:51 »
New ‘Life’ Limit for Rental Cars in Greece Causes Stir

Car rental companies across Greece are up in arms following a recent decision to extend the “life” of rental vehicles.

Under the provision which came into effect on December 16, 2015, the legal “life span” for a rental vehicle has been increased to 12 years from the previous seven or nine — depending on engine capacity.

The Greek Car Rental Companies Association (STEEA)... underlines that many car rental companies are already violating the law, maintaining a fleet of cars which exceeds the nine-year limit. The new provision, they claim, would just lead to more violations.

STEEA also stresses that this would in effect go against efforts of the sector to upgrade the Greek tourist product.
http://news.gtp.gr/2016/01/26/new-life-limit-rental-cars-greece/

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: How old's that hire car?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 14:21:28 »
Personally, as long as the hire rate is appropriate for the age of the vehicle, I couldn't give a monkey's how old the hire car is, or even what it looks like.

Obviously needs to be serviced and safe, but age isn't a factor for me.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 14:36:34 »
Same here, Tony. So long as the price is right and it keeps going (safely)... I'm hiring it for a few days, not buying it.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 17:28:01 »
You would think that rental companies would welcome this legislation, since they could get profit out of a vehicle for longer and not have the cost of replacement so often.    :dunno:

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 17:34:56 »
Still not MOT it when it's old and still get a British immigrant to pay top whack for it at the end........