The Agora > Kefalonia News

Kef airport soon sold?

<< < (2/26) > >>

Phil:

--- Quote from: expat on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 18:01:44 ---
--- Quote ---Look on the Brightside: it can't be any worse.  Can it?
--- End quote ---
I have to agree, it is run like a pig in a poke!
There was an article in the Kef press describing the airport as a joke, shedloads of tourists in a long line waiting to get checked in, only one scanner working, rip off prices at the shop. I will give you an example, a packet of sweets, cost 2.40 euro, the same sweets in the uk, 5 packets for a nicker!
It cannot get any worse! so, a change may be for the better, who knows, lets hope so.

--- End quote ---

Last July (our 18th visit to Kef) we had our best ever experience at the airport, on arrival and before departure.
The fact that we were on a small 140 seater plane and flying with Germania made a massive difference. Also there were no Monarch, TC or Thomson flights within an hour before or after our flights. Our luggage arrived within 5 minutes of us arriving at the terminal, and both suitcases were together on the carousel ...... the escalator was working too!!!
There was plenty of spare seating in the departure lounge despite us waiting outside in the fresh air until most people had gone through security.

However, I must agree about the rip off prices in the shop. I saw a couple spending over €10 for two small glasses of ouzo and about €10 for two cheese pies. They could have bought a 70 cl bottle of ouzo for less than €10 in the duty free shop.

You should have bought your sweets in the duty free?

expat:

--- Quote ---You should have bought your sweets in the duty free?
--- End quote ---
No, I live here, so I bring them back from the uk, I like sweets :) The duty free prices are just the same as Kef shops, for cigs and booze (fixed)
Agree about the smaller planes, I use the crop sprayer to Athens, no problems at all, it is a very good experience, Thomson and Thomas cook will ram as many people as possible in departures, and still set off late!

Regarding the bird who makes the tannoy announcements, who taught her English, was it Rene or the policeman? :)

Maik:
Oh gosh, yes, it *could* get worse! I've used some tourist airports that make Kef airport seem extremely well organised. Without wishing to get political, privatisation doesn't always lead to higher standards or better service, IMO.

Aristarches:

--- Quote from: Maik on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 23:05:59 ---Oh gosh, yes, it *could* get worse! I've used some tourist airports that make Kef airport seem extremely well organised. Without wishing to get political, privatisation doesn't always lead to higher standards or better service, IMO.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree.  Did I hear someone say the railways?

Maik:

--- Quote ---Oct 10 (Reuters) - Greece has received three binding bids from foreign and Greek firms to lease 14 of the country's 39 regional airports under the country's asset sales plan, its privatisation agency HRADF said on Friday.

The deadline for bidding for the airports, which handled about 19.2 million tourists last year, expired at 1600 GMT on Friday.

The privatization agency said it would pick the winner by the end of November.

HRADF officials have said that would-be investors were expected to spend between 250 and 300 million euros (126 million US dollar) to upgrade the airports.
--- End quote ---
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/greece-airport-idUSL6N0S50ZA20141010

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version