Author Topic: Maybe we all knew this  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Maybe we all knew this
« on: Monday, 22 February, 2016 @ 08:35:37 »
Coca-Cola may be the "most valuable brand in history," but it's much smarter to use it as a cleaning agent, than to actually drink it. Many people are unaware of just how bad Coke is for the human body – its pH level rivals that of battery acid – but once you see how its corrosive properties make it such a good household cleaner, you might think twice before ever putting it in your body again.

The ever-popular soft drink is anything but "soft" – that's what makes it so effective at cleaning stuff. If something that can be used to strip paint, dissolve rust, descale toilets and clean car engines might not seem like something you should ingest, you're absolutely right – yet millions of people continue gulping down gallons of it on a daily basis.

Here are just a few of the things Coca-Cola can be used for around the house, according to the group Anonymous:

1. Removes grease stains from clothing and fabric
2. Removes rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil. Also loosens rusty bolts
3. Removes blood stains from clothing and fabric.
4. Cleans oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.
5. Kills slugs and snails; the acids kills them.
6. Cleans burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.
7. Descales a kettle (same method as with burnt pans)
8. Cleans car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.
9. Cleans your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades
10. Makes pennies shine; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.
11. Cleans tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.
12. Dissolves a tooth; Use a sealed container...takes a while but it does work

If Coca-Cola can dissolve a tooth, think what it must be doing to your stomach lining.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/053046_coca-cola_household_cleaning_strong_acid.html#ixzz40sMHmm1v

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Maybe we all knew this
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 22 February, 2016 @ 11:34:39 »
I think most are aware of Coke's alternate capabilities.
Are there other methods for cleaning the coins you put in your child's or grandchild's Christmas stocking?

When you're working on a car or bike, and need to degrease an item, there's far more places to buy Coke than Gunk.

The warnings in the item are a bit silly, as the acid in your stomach is far, far stronger than Coke. Your stomach lining is perfectly able to cope.
If you do feel a need to stop drinking Coke based on the advice given, then best to stop eating citrus fruit and drinking lime or lemon too.

Oh, and give up brown sauce and ketchup too, as both these are marvelous metal cleaning agents.

As for "the millions of people...gulping down gallons...on a daily basis", mmm...
Could that be Coke's marketing department translating every can or bottle sold to a can or bottle being drunk perhaps? Rather than being put to the alternative uses listed. ;-)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 22 February, 2016 @ 16:15:46 »
And of course it wouldn't have anything at all to do with the current campaign to tax sugary drinks.  Coca Cola wouldn't be trying to maintain sales by turning the stuff into a household cleaner (etc.)... would they?!  :blink:

Tony

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 @ 12:19:40 »
On a more positive note a medical secretary friend once told me that flat coke is good for people with dysentery.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 @ 13:21:02 »
Doctors have warned that 'flat Coke or lemonade could be dangerous to children suffering stomach bug,s' the Daily Mail has reported. It said new NHS guidance warns that the myth that sweet drinks can rehydrate sick children can actually make symptoms worse.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/04April/Pages/FlatSoftDrinksStomachBugs.aspx

That was from 2009, latest advice is probably not to give kids coke, period.

More recently, Gordon Brown's wife reckons it worked for her and, allegedly, Kate Middleton was advised to drink flat coke to combat morning sickness... so if the boy George turns out to be a cokehead we'll know why.

Not sure I fancy pouring coke over my battery terminals, or anything like that.

Offline Mary

• Forum Hero
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 @ 14:12:11 »
I remember years ago (1999 I think) a Swedish friend told me that, in Sweden, it was quite common for patients to be advised to drink flat coke to combat stomach upsets - something I'd never heard of at the time.  I have tried it and it does seem to help (or maybe I just think it does!).    :dunno:

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 @ 18:26:16 »

Not sure I fancy pouring coke over my battery terminals, or anything like that.

Too right. That's a job for Brown Sauce (HP / Daddies) or Ketchup (Heinz)

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 @ 18:58:19 »
It's good for cleaning dirty Loos as well so they say .Never tried it personally.