Author Topic: Charity Vet coming  (Read 10308 times)

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
Charity Vet coming
« on: Wednesday, 12 November, 2014 @ 15:37:11 »
For cat owners, domestic or otherwise, KATs charity will have an English charity vet visiting the island next week to neuter as many strays or 'domestic strays' as we can catch.

If anyone has any cats which need neurering, please contact Sheila (26710-81707) to book the cat(s) in. The vet will be operating out of my house in Ano Katelios on Thursday 20th November and the morning of the 21st November.

Sheila will give you a time to drop off and collect. Please ensure the cat has NO FOOD from 9pm the previous night.

There is no charge for the neutering but a donation would be gratefully received to cover the medications.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Charity Vet coming
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 14 November, 2014 @ 13:20:42 »
Not sure this is the vet who'll be in Katelios but thought it might be of interest:

A CASTLEMAINE vet is heading to Greece this weekend to volunteer for a cause very close to her heart - a two-week street cat desexing program.

Dr Yvette Berkeley is one of a number of international volunteers part of the Nine Lives Greece network, a group of people passionate about helping to reduce Greece's stray cat population.

Last year, the program helped to desex 960 cats.

Volunteers achieve this through trap-neuter-return projects, but also help to improve the street cats' quality of life through daily feeding programs, veterinary care and adoption programs.

Dr Berkeley said the stray cat population in Greece was "massive" and Nine Lives, which is funded purely by donations from the public, could send her anywhere.

"This trip I go to Kefalonia in the Ionian sea above Corfu. And then we go right to the other side, near Turkey," she said.

"I'll take a whole lot of drugs, eye drops and stuff that’s needed."

She said every island had a dedicated community of expats, mainly from the UK, who had helped to set up animal health programs "off their own bat".

She said despite the fact that the Greek people loved cats and the fact the strays were tough creatures, cats often struggled to survive.

"Over summer they get fed by the tourists, then in winter they starve."

She said the overpopulation problem stemmed from traditional attitudes towards desexing.

"Traditionally the Greeks didn’t really like to desex because they thought it was interfering with God’s plan with nature," she said.

But she said modern Greece had changed its attitudes and people were welcoming of expat organisations like Nine Lives.

"It’s done in consultation with them rather than just having a lot of expats going in and saying what they need," she said.
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2697217/yvette-the-vet-heading-to-greece-for-cat-project

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 16 November, 2014 @ 20:09:47 »
Yes Maik, this is the vet who will be spending about a week here. We met Yvette at the airport this evening and she will be doing the cats around Argostoli area first and then heading to Katelios Thursday and Friday. She has been here before in 2007 helping with the KAT programme of neutering and spaying.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 23 November, 2014 @ 12:46:29 »
Well, Yvette did an amazing job and neutered 115 cats in four and a half days! This saved the charity over 5,000 euros in vets fees and the medications, which we have to pay for, were covered by the donations made by happy owners and so a win, win situation all round.

Yvette left us to carry out more neutering in Rhodes and Symi, and then back Athens for a brief rest/holiday before flying back to Melbourne, Australia. She, her partner and 4-year old daughter had a wonderful time on Kefalonia and I'm sure we'll to see them back again soon.

I think we need to add a 'well done' to everyone here that assisted Yvette, the catchers, shavers, injecters, ear clippers, instrument steralizers, tea/coffee, soup and cake makers and in particular, the brave ones who were scratched, bitten and ended up on medication, in transferring the often terrified cats into the crusher cages!! We hope your injuries improve soon!
« Last Edit: Sunday, 23 November, 2014 @ 12:53:42 by jeanskala »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 23 November, 2014 @ 13:57:08 »
A great success! Glad to hear Yvette and co. enjoyed Kef, let's hope they will return sometime. Good to know there's so many people who do give a XXXX.

Skinny & Ginger (and my Greek landlord) still talking to us (though think they're mostly asking for food - not my landlord, he invited us down for loukamades last night)

:cat:

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 23 November, 2014 @ 15:37:34 »
Glad to hear that Skinny and Ginger are both well, let's hope that Skinny's name changes soon as she starts putting on weight! Happy you still have the same landlord - he's a big softie really!!  :btu: