Author Topic: 363 days  (Read 4708 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
363 days
« on: Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 @ 15:41:49 »
Support for Windows 7 is ending

All good things must come to an end, even Windows 7. After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7. But you can keep the good times rolling by moving to Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

Might still be possible to get a free upgrade to Windows 10, Linux works fine for me.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: 363 days
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 17 January, 2019 @ 11:56:57 »
I suppose it was voing to happen sometime.  Can't get my PC to upgrade to WinX at all let alone for free.  Looking at the tech sites it's likely to be a driver incompatibility but the faff to fix it is a complete nut crusher and may well not work
:rant:
Tony

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 17 January, 2019 @ 21:20:33 »
Blimey, unless Santa :x-smile: tumbles down your chimney this December it looks like you might be buying a new PC come 2020, one with Windows 10 pre-installed. If that prospect doesn't fill you with great joy then you could, prior to 20/01/20, try Linux on a USB flash drive, it won't affect your Windows 7 installation and might save you splashing out on a new PC. I bought Mary a new laptop for Christmas just gone, came with Windows 10 but no MS Office or anything like that. It seemed rather slow in comparison to what we're accustomed to and required an MS password to log onto it. Quite easy to put Linux and LibreOffice on it and now it's noticeably quicker and less hassle. Of course, easiest thing is to just keep using Windows 7 but you never know unless you try it, you might like the freedom of Linux!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 17 January, 2019 @ 22:35:05 »
How much space does Linux take up. Can I still run my oldish versions of MS stuff?  Presumably it just sits alongside Win7.

Tony

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 18 January, 2019 @ 03:32:42 »
Linux requires less space than Windows, bit difficult to say how much space will be required but anywhere between 3-6 GB, depending upon which Linux distribution you choose. I've read really good things about  mid-weight MX Linux but your PC will probably cope OK with 'heavyweights' such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Or you might like antiX, a fast, lightweight distro designed in Greece.

You could install Linux on your hard drive along side Windows 7 or you could run Linux entirely from a USB stick:

Easily install your favorite Linux operating system on a bootable usb key or flash drive no larger than your thumb (aka thumb drive). Your Portable Linux operating system can then be taken with you and run from any computer that can boot from the usb flash device. Bring your operating system, applications, files, email, bookmarked favorites, games, diagnostic utilities, and more with you. It's your very own portable operating system you can carry in your pocket.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Ever thought of using any computer which is not yours, with all your personal stuff and configuration? It is possible with any Linux distribution. Yes! You can use your own, customized Linux OS on any machine with just a USB drive.

This tutorial is all about installing Latest Linux OS on your pen-drive, customize it, and use it on any PC you have an access to. Here I am using Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic beaver for this tutorial (but, you can use any Linux distribution). So let’s gets started..

Requirements:

* One Pendrive 4GB or More (Let’s call it as Main USB drive/Pendrive).
* One more Pen drive or DVD disk to use as bootable Linux installation media.
* Linux OS ISO file, for example Lubuntu 18.04.
* One PC (Don’t worry, there will not be any effect on that PC).
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 @ 02:55:24 »
Microsoft cripples Windows Media Player in Windows 7... for no real reason
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3069977/microsoft-cripples-windows-media-player-in-windows-7-8x-for-no-real-reason

No idea how many people use WMP but seems a bit strange to cripple it when EOL is less than a year away.