Author Topic: 'Free'* Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 101971 times)

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: 'Free'* Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, 22 August, 2015 @ 00:54:46 »
That Telegraph (p)review, printed on 28th July, must have been on a Win10 Preview installation, rather than the full Release Candidate that came on 29th

I've got WinX running on two PCs at the moment - one installed as an upgrade, the other as a clean install - and have only positive findings.

How about a 30 second startup, instead of nigh on 5 minutes?
Or that all my Win7 programs made it through the in-place upgrade?

There's good news in the feature that let's you revert fully, back to your original Win7 or Win8, within 30 days of the upgrade. How can you not upgrade?

The really good news for those that need to upgrade an older OS (NT, ME, 2000, XP, Vista) is that it appears the install key generated by the Update can be used for installs on other PCs (I used Jelly Bean and the revealed key to install X on an old XP PC - it worked!)

Have seen a couple of upgrade problems (or rather, I got called about...)
The Upgrade locks up with a message "working on it" - for hours if you leave it.
Fix is shutdown/restart PC and use Computer/Properties/Windows Update to kick-start the upgrade

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, 23 August, 2015 @ 19:01:15 »
Sorry to report that my upgrade from W7 did not go very well. After about four hours, it was up to 86% installed. Then for the next hour, it didn't change. So I decided it wasn't going any further and I pulled the plug! Then I had to do a system restore to get back to W7. I may try again, but will make sure I have backed everything up first.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, 27 August, 2015 @ 12:00:52 »
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The feature, which is enabled by default during upgrading, could put children at risk as well as being a huge potential cause for embarrassment
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-automatically-sends-parents-detailed-dossier-of-their-childrens-internet-history-and-computer-use-10472226.html

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, 30 August, 2015 @ 10:03:35 »
I successfully upgraded to W10 on my second attempt. All my programs seemed to transfer without any problems. However, it would not allow me access to my Pictures and Videos files. I eventually sorted this and then found that the Video file was empty and the Pictures file had some pictures, but all those filed under each month for the last 10 years were missing. Ok, I had backed up all except this year, which I didn't have room for, on my external drive.
Another thing I didn't like was having to put in passwords all the time. I could have sorted that given time, but in the end I had to restore to W7. I will stick with something I am familiar with, at least until the winter when I have more time!

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, 30 August, 2015 @ 13:38:18 »
When you restored to Windows 7, Roger, was everything as before, or did that create issues (in other words, if you had a particular "theme" on Win7, did you have that after you restored, did all your programs work etc?)  I am extremely hesitant about upgrading, mainly because it would affect my work methods if things went wrong/awry/slightly off!!

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, 30 August, 2015 @ 19:54:17 »
When you restored to Windows 7, Roger, was everything as before, or did that create issues (in other words, if you had a particular "theme" on Win7, did you have that after you restored, did all your programs work etc?)  I am extremely hesitant about upgrading, mainly because it would affect my work methods if things went wrong/awry/slightly off!!

One big issue when I went back to 7 was that all my emails had gone from Windows Live Mail! This included all the Storage folders as well, so was a bit of a disaster. I now have restored the Storage folders, but have still lost all my Inbox items and Sent items.
Otherwise, all programs and files are back as before. I advise having a backup of everything before upgrading (or going back).

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, 30 August, 2015 @ 20:09:49 »
Thanks for that, Roger - the more I read, the more I think I'll stick with Windows 7...!!  Ideally, I'd like to go over to Ubuntu for good, but I use too many programs for my work that just won't work on that platform.  To be brutally honest, I wish I lived in the 1600s!!!  Now, where's that quill???   :lol:

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, 30 August, 2015 @ 22:05:53 »
Roger, did you Restore to Win7 via Win 10's "Programs, Uninstall, Win10" option?
or some other method?

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #58 on: Monday, 31 August, 2015 @ 09:06:31 »
Roger, did you Restore to Win7 via Win 10's "Programs, Uninstall, Win10" option?
or some other method?

I can't remember the exact route to reinstall W7 Tony, but it was via the approved MS method and not a System Restore. It was actually very quick compared with the time taken to install W10.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #59 on: Monday, 14 September, 2015 @ 15:58:16 »
Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Microsoft told us: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade.

"When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.”

In other words, if you are patching via Patch Tuesday, as you should of course be, then you are going to get a big hefty folder on your hard drive ready so you can update to Windows 10 on demand.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, 15 September, 2015 @ 15:28:04 »
Thanks Roger - sounds pretty grim.  Don't think I'll bother. 

And don't like the idea of getting the download without requesting it. 

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #61 on: Friday, 16 October, 2015 @ 11:22:05 »
Windows users report Windows 10 upgrades are enforced on their systems

Reports are coming in that Windows 10 upgrades seem to be enforced on some systems without users explicitly giving permissions beforehand to download and install the upgrade to Microsoft's newest operating system.

Two new types of Windows 10 upgrade messages appeared lately on systems running previous versions of Windows.
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/15/windows-users-report-windows-10-upgrades-are-enforced-on-their-systems/

Article on arstechnica.com reckons it could be due to a pre-ticked 'optional extra'.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #62 on: Friday, 16 October, 2015 @ 14:26:29 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, 17 October, 2015 @ 19:05:05 »
For anyone who's getting pestered by the 'optional' Windows 10 upgrade there's a freebie that might be worth investigating further:

GWX Control Panel (previously named GWX Stopper) is a free program that you can use to configure and exit the “Get Windows 10” system tray application which continually pops up on PCs that are still running Windows 7 and Windows 8. GWX Control Panel really works, is safe and easy to use, and gives you the option to re-enable the icon and upgrade notifications if you're ever ready to move forward with Windows 10.
http://www.neowin.net/news/gwx-control-panel-11

From what I've read it's safe and effective. More info, and download, available at the creator's website: ultimateoutsider.com

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, 24 October, 2015 @ 09:52:30 »
WINDOWS 10 will get a significant update within weeks, according to reports. The Windows 10 Fall Update, codenamed Threshold 2, is planned for the first week in November, and will contain many of the enhancements already seen in builds from the Windows Insider programme.

These include many that were originally slated for the July release but for one reason or another were delayed.

This will instantly be the de-facto Windows 10. The shift to the software-as-a-service model adopted for the latest OS means that anyone upgrading to Windows 10 will get this new version of Windows.

There would have been an out-of-the-box version on disk in the old days, and this update would have been considered a 'service pack'. Now, however, Threshold 2 will become Windows 10 and all other versions will cease to exist.

Furthermore, if you are already on Windows 10 you won't have to do anything. The controversial move to silent updates means that one morning you'll wake up and there it is.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2431779/microsoft-will-release-first-major-windows-10-update-in-early-november

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #65 on: Friday, 30 October, 2015 @ 13:28:39 »
Beware, Microsoft plans to push Windows 10 on even more Windows 7 and 8 systems

Microsoft wants computer systems that run Windows 7 or 8 to be upgraded to Windows 10, there is no doubt about that.

Windows 7 and 8 users who want to upgrade can do so easily, but those who don't, fight an seemingly endless battle against Windows 10 upgrade patches that prepares their systems for the upgrade.

Microsoft plans to deliver Windows 10 as an optional update soon in order to make it easier for users to find it.

Optional updates are not installed by default but listed in Windows Update alongside recommended and important updates.

Then early next year, it plans to re-categorize Windows 10 as a recommended update which is a significant change as it will initiate the upgrade process automatically on systems configured to install recommended updates automatically just like important updates.
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/30/beware-microsoft-plans-to-push-windows-10-on-even-more-windows-7-and-8-systems/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #66 on: Friday, 13 November, 2015 @ 09:47:59 »
Windows 10's Latest Update Will Be Delayed For Some Users, But There's A Fix

This is essentially a whole new version of Windows 10. This is, obviously somewhat backed up by Microsoft’s claim that Windows 10 would be the “last” version of Windows. Because of this, we won’t really see service packs any more, but just a new version of the OS.

The update is, apparently, bringing some major speed advances, offering boosts of 30% over Windows 7 machines running identical hardware.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/11/12/windows-10s-latest-update-will-be-delayed-for-some-users-but-theres-a-fix/

Windows 10 Threshold 2 (November Update) Installation Problems
Users report installation freezes for the new update
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-november-update-installation-problems-496086.shtml

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, 14 November, 2015 @ 19:51:21 »
Proves us "late adopters" - if that's what we eventually become - are right!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, 14 November, 2015 @ 21:33:32 »
If you’ve already installed Windows 10 Threshold 2, the chances are that some of your desktop applications might be missing because it turns out that the update is actually removing a number of programs from computers.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-removes-some-desktop-programs-during-install-496120.shtml

But at the same time, Threshold 2 also reinstalls the apps that you previously removed, such as Xbox and Edge, all of which come with the operating system. Windows 10 ships with a series of pre-installed apps, and users can remove them with PowerShell commands, but after installing Threshold 2, all of them are brought back on your PC.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-automatically-reinstalls-all-previously-removed-apps-496165.shtml

Where's that breeze come from... oh, it's Tony rushing to upgrade to Windows 10  ;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, 15 November, 2015 @ 07:38:48 »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, 15 November, 2015 @ 18:33:44 »
If you’ve already installed Windows 10 Threshold 2, the chances are that some of your desktop applications might be missing because it turns out that the update is actually removing a number of programs from computers.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-removes-some-desktop-programs-during-install-496120.shtml

But at the same time, Threshold 2 also reinstalls the apps that you previously removed, such as Xbox and Edge, all of which come with the operating system. Windows 10 ships with a series of pre-installed apps, and users can remove them with PowerShell commands, but after installing Threshold 2, all of them are brought back on your PC.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-automatically-reinstalls-all-previously-removed-apps-496165.shtml

Where's that breeze come from... oh, it's Tony rushing to upgrade to Windows 10  ;)

:bat:

Sounding more like a bloody nightmare.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #71 on: Friday, 20 November, 2015 @ 00:03:25 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #72 on: Friday, 29 January, 2016 @ 02:25:20 »
TripAdvisor app to be preloaded on Windows 10 devices

Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 for free until mid 2016 to customers running Windows 7 or Windows 8 machines. The move, designed to get as many users as possible on the platform, raised questions in regards to how Microsoft will make money with the operating system if it hands it out for free.

Some suggested that Windows 10 would be turned into a subscription service after the first year period or shortly thereafter, but there is no indication that this is going to happen.

Travel site TripAdvisor revealed in a press release on January 27 that its new universal Windows 10 application will be preloaded on "millions of Windows 10 compatible devices".

Interestingly enough, Microsoft's own take on the launch of the TripAdvisor universal application for Windows 10 does not make any mention of the application being preloaded in 2016 on machines running the operating system.

No further details about the preloading were offered by TripAdvisor either, which means that it is unclear right now on which devices the app will be preloaded on.
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/28/third-party-app-preloading-coming-to-windows-10/#comment-3806616

Got a funny feeling it might be included in one of the automatic updates, which might not be a big problem for Trip Advisor users but might not go down well with folk who don't like having stuff foisted on them.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, 02 February, 2016 @ 14:39:47 »
Windows 10 now a 'recommended' update for unsuspecting PCs

Microsoft said it would push Windows 10 upgrades onto people's PCs much harder this year – and Redmond has been true to its word.

From Monday, Windows Update will start making the upgrade to version 10 of the operating system a recommended update, rather than an optional one, a spokesperson for the software giant confirmed. So if you've got automatic updates set up on your computer, expect to download and install a few gigabytes of code for the move to Windows 10.

Also be aware that if you have switched to manual updates you still may end up downloading the new OS anyway. Windows Update is automatically preselecting the optional download as desired, so there's no need to click on the box to get it.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/microsoft_ups_pressure_win_10_holdouts/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #74 on: Monday, 28 March, 2016 @ 16:11:06 »
Windows 10 launched on 29 July 2015 so, if you haven't up(?)graded for 'free' yet, you've got four months before the offer is due to expire. Currently Windows 10 Home is up for grabs on the Microsoft store for £99.99, discounted prices available elsewhere.