Author Topic: The olive tree  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
The olive tree
« on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 08:25:36 »
Touching short film celebrates Greece’s ever-lasting connection with Olive trees

It’s that time of year in Greece where olive harvesting is in full swing, with many families making their way back to the village to collect a years’ worth of produce.

Olive trees date back to the 8th century BC and the oldest one is said to be located on Crete, which is one of seven olive trees in the Mediterranean believed to be at least 3000 years old.

These ancient trees are seen as a symbol of peace, fertility, health, and strength, with olive branches commonly used as decoration at both Greek weddings and baptisms, symbolising prosperity.

A beautiful short film titled “The Olive Tree Will Always Be There” celebrates how important olive trees actually are to the Greek people and those who take care of them, as generations of Greeks have grown up respecting olive trees, which were and still are, a source of food and income for many families.
https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/11/07/touching-short-film-celebrates-greeces-lasting-connection-olive-trees/

https://youtu.be/RTUVgI3efeE?t=1

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
Re: The olive tree
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 14:09:37 »
A lovely film.I have two Olive trees on my patio which produce loads of flowers and some fruit .However they aren't big enough to do anything with.They do remind us of Kefalonia though and we get much pleasure just sitting along side them.One is almost six feet high and seems to be growing very well.I also have two pieces of Olive wood that i found on the beach at Skala.I love to sit and hold them .They are so tactile and i often wonder how old they are and where they started life.Olives do seem to have a certain magic about them!!!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: The olive tree
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 15:30:27 »
Nice film - thanks!  I read John Humphries' book, appropriately called Blue Skies and Black Olives, a few months back.  Apparently in Greece you can sell your land but the ownership of olive trees is separate and can be retained or sold separately.

Tony