Monday, 16 December, 2019 @ 02:29:18

Author Topic: Books about Greece  (Read 32702 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Books about Greece
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, 02 October, 2019 @ 09:47:58 »
‘The Last Monk of the Strofades,’ out now in English

Following its publication in Greek last year, “The Last Monk of the Strofades: Memories from an Unknown Greek Island” is now available in English from Abbeville Press.

The book by US photographer Robert A. McCabe and Greek journalist Katerina Lymperopoulou is a unique record of the fortified monastery on Stamfani, the larger of the two Strofades islets off Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. The 13th century monastery suffered serious damage during an earthquake in November of 1997 and was shut down after another temblor in October 2018.

For centuries, the monastery served as a refuge for seafarers and a target for pirates and Turkish raiders, while in its heyday it was home to some 40 farmer-monks. By 1976, however, only one monk remained, Father Gregory Kladis (1937-2017), who alone tended the monastery until 2014.

The book is intended to tell the world about the Monastery of Strofades and encourage its preservation.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/245051/gallery/ekathimerini/life/the-last-monk-of-the-strofades-out-now-in-english

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, 20 November, 2019 @ 02:18:23 »
Top 10: Crime, guns and Greek-inspired literature

Over the years there are Greeks who have written good crime fiction and English-speaking writers who are inspired by Greece and have proved very adept at trawling the Greek underworld. Here are 10 of the best writers of crime novels either based in Greece or featuring Greek protagonists. With summer approaching, perhaps it’s time to take a Greek Noir crime novel to the beach with you.

1. PETROS MARKARIS
2. YANNIS TSIRIKOMOS
3. POL KOUTSAKIS
4. SERGIO GAKAS
5. ANNA ZOUROUDIS
6. GARY CORBY
7. JEFFREY SIGER
8. PAUL JOHNSTON
9. GEORGE PELECANOS
10. PHILLIP KERR
https://neoskosmos.com/en/151739/top-10-crime-guns-and-greek-inspired-literature/

Offline TonyKath

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, 30 November, 2019 @ 19:16:33 »
That's very helpful Maik.  I've seen Markaris's untranslated books  recommended for learners of Greek - with some grounding in the language, but haven't tried myself.  Expensive in the UK via Bibliagora.

Tony

Offline Annie P

• Participant
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, 01 December, 2019 @ 07:59:47 »
How about Beryl Darby, can't see her mentioned? She wrote a serious of books set in Crete. They follow the lives of a number of different family members spanning the years 1918  onwards. I have only read the first one, Yannis but enjoyred it very much.

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Hero
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, 01 December, 2019 @ 12:11:51 »
I have read and can highly recommend Paul Johnston's 'Alex Mavros' series.  Alex Mavros is a half-Greek half-Scots private investigator based in Athens who comes up against some very unsavoury people in the course of his investigations.  Johnston's portrayal of various aspects of Greece and Greeks is highly realistic and his storylines make the books hard to put down...

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, 01 December, 2019 @ 15:44:27 »
How about Beryl Darby

Thanks, Annie. Hadn't heard of Beryl Darby, as you say, she's written a number of books set in Greece, twenty four from what I can see on the list! Plus a guide to Spinalonga written in 1982.
beryldarbybooks.com

I read the first Alex Mavros and keep meaning to find time to read more... one day... provided I don't have to pay silly prices on Amazon