Author Topic: International Driving Permit  (Read 102 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Maik

  • Administrator
  • Forum Deity
  • *****
  • Posts: 15677
International Driving Permit
« on: Friday, 01 February, 2019 @ 03:04:53 »
Post Office expands sale of international driving permits ahead of Brexit

The Post Office has increased the number of branches selling International Driving Permits (IDPs) ahead of Brexit.

UK motorists may require the documents to drive in the EU in the event of a no-deal withdrawal from the bloc.

IDPs were previously available from the AA and the RAC through the post, at the AA shop at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone and at 89 Post Office branches.

From Friday they can only be bought from 2,500 Post Office branches – around a fifth – at a cost of £5.50 each.

The requirement for UK motorists to have an IDP varies across the world and different versions of the document cover specific countries.

Previously just two types were sold in the UK, but a third is now available which will enable driving in several more EU states.

Mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end in the event of a no-deal Brexit, meaning UK drivers may need an IDP to drive in the EU.

Driving in the EU and EEA from 29 March 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEA countries

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal or any other relevant agreement, you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:... Greece...

If you already have an IDP

After 28 March 2019, your permit might not be accepted in some countries. Check if the country you’re visiting will still accept your 1926 or 1949 permit after this date. You can check the front of your permit to see which type you have.

If your current IDP is not accepted, you’ll need to replace it with a 1968 permit.

A 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

Post Office IDP branch finder

So, still not clear if UK nationals visiting Greece will need an IDP if they want to drive, but if they do it will be a 1968 IDP.