Author Topic: Flash Player EOL today  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Flash Player EOL today
« on: Thursday, 31 December, 2020 @ 04:03:10 »

Adobe displays Flash Player end of life popup on Windows devices

If you have installed a recent version of Adobe Flash Player on a Windows machine, you may see a popup displayed by the program that informs you that Flash support is ending on December 31, 2020.

Some browsers include Adobe Flash natively; most Chromium-based browsers, including Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, do. Other browsers require a plugin that needs to be installed, and it is users of the latter that Adobe tries to reach with its popup message.

Administrators may uninstall Adobe Flash Player from Windows systems in the following way (if the popup has not been displayed yet or skipped):

Use Ctrl-I to open the Settings application, or, select Start > Settings.
    Switch to Apps.
    Use the search field to find Flash.
    Click on the Adobe Flash Player entry to display available options.
    Select the uninstall button.
    Follow the uninstall instructions.

Flash Player is uninstalled and it cannot be used on the system anymore or by browsers that use its plugin anymore after the uninstallation.

Note: The uninstallation does not remove Flash Player in Chromium-based browsers such as Chrome or Microsoft Edge. The companies need to release updates for the browsers that remove Flash from it.
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/12/30/adobe-displays-flash-player-end-of-life-popup-on-windows-devices/

Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Flash Player EOL today
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 31 December, 2020 @ 08:24:09 »
I uninstalled Flash Player, thinking maybe it was obsolete. Then email links to Web pages didn't work, so I re-installed it. Is there an alternative?

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 31 December, 2020 @ 10:49:53 »
I uninstalled Flash Player, thinking maybe it was obsolete. Then email links to Web pages didn't work, so I re-installed it. Is there an alternative?
The Flash content you're trying to view should have been changed to HTML5 by the supplier

It isn't the case that you need to find an alternative Flash player - Flash has been a security issue for a couple of years, and it's now reached it's End Of Life, and been dropped by Adobe

Recent Windows updates have removed Flash automatically - it's considered that serious

However, having said all that, you might find a not fully up to date Chrome browser will still render a Flash site with it's built in emulator

So copy/paste your Flash site link into Chrome browser, and see if you're lucky

Better - see if the Flash resource you're trying to access has already been made available as an HTML5 page that uses a different URL to the links you've saved and used previously.
All reputable content providers have had years to make these changes to their sites/content.
« Last Edit: Thursday, 31 December, 2020 @ 10:52:57 by TonyD »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 31 December, 2020 @ 13:06:10 »
Roger, have a scroll down to the bottom of the ghacks page linked to above  ;)

Though doubt I'll be messing with it.

Think I'm correct in saying that if you have multiple browsers installed, e.g. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, then you need to ensure it's rid from each.