Author Topic: Holiday scams  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Holiday scams
« on: Wednesday, 19 April, 2023 @ 02:13:17 »
British holidaymakers warned of passport renewal scam exploiting ‘unacceptable delays’
Holidaymakers also warned of ‘bogus adverts designed to steal our money’

Britons have been warned to be on guard against scammers targetting people booking holidays and renewing their passports.

The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) said fraudsters are using social media ads and delays in the Passport Office to “steal money” and “ take advantage of uncertainty”.

As well as passports, thieves are also using increasingly sophisticated techniques to trick people into booking holidays.

“Lots of people are preparing to go away at the moment and, unfortunately, there are a lot of adverts on social media advertising cottages and hotels at home and abroad with incredible pictures and fantastic prices,” Katherine Har, lead CTSI lead officer, said.

“These bogus adverts are designed to steal our money, leaving us disappointed and without a holiday.”

She added: “As with any purchase, do your research, only shop with reputable companies, and make sure you are 100 per cent sure who you are dealing with and what you are getting before you part with any money.”

* Check the URL and security of any website you are booking a holiday through
* Always look at independent reviews, not just reviews on a website or advert itself
* Do your research and contact the owners of a holiday cottage before making a booking
* Pay using a protected payment method such as a credit or debit card or PayPal’s Buyer Protection service.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-renewal-scam-warning-ctsi-b2321631.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Holiday scams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 23 May, 2023 @ 18:41:41 »
Fraudsters conned UK holidaymakers out of more than £15m in 2022
Action Fraud notes surge in number of people paying for fake flights and accommodation

Holiday fraudsters conned UK consumers out of more than £15m last year – twice as much as the year before – according to the UK’s scam reporting centre.

Action Fraud said there had been a surge in the number of people being conned into paying for fake flights and accommodation bookings as more people sought cheaper holidays, partly as a result of the cost-of-living crisis.

The reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime – which has launched a national awareness campaign hoping people “don’t get burnt before they are on the beach” – said the average loss per victim last year was £2,372.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/23/fraudsters-uk-holidaymakers-action-fraud-fake-flights

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Holiday scams
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 24 May, 2023 @ 08:58:07 »
We recently paid good money expecting "three relaxing weeks in the sun"
Instead all we got was cold, cloud, rain and wind.
Worst Spring on Kef in our memories.
How I miss Roger's Weather Stats - would have been able to confirm that

Roger?
I believe you're there at the moment, as I think it was your yacht I saw had transitioned from land to sea during our visit.
Any chance of some partial weather data?

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
Re: Holiday scams
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 24 May, 2023 @ 14:24:55 »
I have yet to find anyone here who recalls a cloudier, wetter, unsunnier first 3 weeks in May in living memory.