The Agora > Greek News

Don't mention the war

(1/8) > >>

Maik:

--- Quote ---Greece to demand WWII reparations from Germany
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has accused Germany of using "legal tricks" to avoid paying World War II reparations. Germany has repeatedly said it has honored all of its obligations resulting from the war.

Greece announced Tuesday it is moving forward with a demand to seek World War II reparations from Germany, as Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras accused Berlin of avoiding repayment of damages stemming from the Nazi occupation.

"Germany has never properly paid reparations for the damage done to Greece by the Nazi occupation," Tsipras told the Greek parliament Tuesday. "The crimes carried out by the Nazis are still vivid, and we have a moral obligation to remember what the forces did to the country."

Greece is seeking 160 billion euros in compensation to cover the loan and damages resulting from the occupation.
--- End quote ---
http://www.dw.de/greece-to-demand-wwii-reparations-from-germany/a-18306731

Maik:

--- Quote ---Athens threatens to seize German assets over WWII reparations

Justice Minister Nikos Paraskevopoulos has said he is ready to sign an older court ruling that will enable the foreclosure of German assets in Greece in order to compensate the relatives of victims of Nazi crimes during the Second World War.

Greece's Supreme Court ruled in favor of Distomo survivors in 2000, but the decision has not been enforced.

Distomo, a small village in central Greece, lost 218 lives in a Nazi massacre in 1944.
--- End quote ---
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_11/03/2015_548093

Alan + Ceann:
Don't mention the war ?  I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it :yahoo:  You started it, No I didn't, Yes you did you invaded Poland  :yahoo:
sorry but its just so funny.
Alan

PS I agree with everything the Greek Prime Minister said, upon existing the war the Germans destroyed trillions of euros of property in towns allover Europe. (Oradour-sur-Glane ! is just a small example).

Maik:

--- Quote ---German coalition politicians break ranks on Greek WWII reparations

Leaders from the junior partner in Germany's coalition government have lent their support for Greek war reparations. They said Germany's moral and legal duties should be separated from the Greek debt debate.

In an interview with German news magazine Der Spiegel published Tuesday, leading politicians from the junior partner in Germany's governing coalition have lent their support to the idea that Germany should pay reparations from World War II to Greece.

"It's about recognizing the fact that we committed a serious injustice in Greece," Gesine Schwan, chairwoman of the Social Democratic Party (SPD) values committee, told Spiegel.

The damages in question date back more than 70 years. Under the German occupation in WWII, thousands of Greeks were murdered, infrastructure was destroyed, and Greece's central bank was forced into giving Germany a loan. Germany never reimbursed individual claims.

Until now, only the opposition Left Party in Germany had supported the idea of paying war reparations to Greece.
--- End quote ---
http://www.dw.de/german-coalition-politicians-break-ranks-on-greek-wwii-reparations/a-18320151

Maik:

--- Quote ---German couple pay Greece £630 'war reparations'

A German couple visiting Greece walked into a town hall and handed over €875 (£630) in what they said were second world war reparations.

Dimitris Kotsouros, the mayor of Nafplio, a seaport in the Peloponnese, said: “They came to my office yesterday morning, saying they wanted to make up for their government’s attitude. They made their calculations and said each German owed €875 for what Greece had to pay during world war two.”

The mayor of the historic town where the tourists deposited their cheque said the money had since been donated to a local charity. The couple chose his town “because it was the first capital of Greece in the 19th century”, he added.

Greek media reports named the pair as Ludwig Zacaro and Nina Lahge. They say Zacaro is retired and Lahge works a 30-hour week. They did not have enough money to pay for two, one paper said.
--- End quote ---
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/19/german-couple-pay-greece-war-reparation-nafplio-tourists

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version