Author Topic: 07/02/14  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
07/02/14
« on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 01:57:24 »
The towns of Lixouri, Livadi and Agios Dimitrios have suffered the bulk of the devastation, it is estimated that the damage in Lixouri and its surrounding villages has exceeded One Billion Euro.

Our goal is to provide immediate funding for emergency items and service to the residents. Should our fund raising efforts be significant, we hope to secure sufficient funds to aid in the rebuilding of Saint Dionisios Church in Livadi, Kefalonia.
http://groundreport.com/earthquake-relief-fundraiser-for-the-greek-island-of-kefalonia/

Let's hope they raise lots of money... and that it all gets to the people who need it.

Offline Gill

• Participant
Re: 07/02/14
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 07:44:47 »

Let's hope they raise lots of money... and that it all gets to the people who need it.
Well said Maik, totally agree, especially with your second comment.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 11:59:44 »
Latest I've heard on the ferries, Kefalonian Lines will be operating a ferry on the Sami-Ithaka-*Kyllini* route w.e.f Monday, 17/02/14 (possibly Ithaka-Sami-Kyllini). For more info 'phone ticket agency in Sami on 26740 22055 or Argostoli on 26710 22033. Kefalonian Lines Poros-Kyllini and Zakynthos-Kyllini services unchanged.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 12:07:46 »
A convoy of 8 6wheeler trucks with trailers arrived on the Poros ferry this morning. Presumably with supplies destined for Lixouri.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 12:08:18 »
Heard Olympiakos FC have pledged 500,000 € towards repair of damaged schools on Kef.

Also the Kefalonia Garden Village Hotel, Lixouri, is offering to accommodate locals made homeless by the quakes.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 12:16:48 »

A convoy of 8 6wheeler trucks with trailers arrived on the Poros ferry this morning. Presumably with supplies destined for Lixouri.

Thanks, Rog, just pipped me! Apparently Ionian Ferries are giving free passage to vehicles providing humanitarian aid to Kef.

Edit: Heard various aid has come from Patras and Navplion, not sure if that's what was on the trucks
« Last Edit: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 12:21:28 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 14:27:34 »
Middle-aged women most at risk from 'dangerous' cat bites

Middle-aged women are the group most at risk of being injured by a feline biting them on the hand, research has shown.

Sixty-nine per cent of people who require treatment for cat bites are female and the average age is 49, a Mayo Clinic study published in the Journal of Hand Surgery found.

And the study emphasised the hidden dangers of moggy bites, which are often dismissed because they appear as only tiny pinpricks on the skin.

The research found that cats can inject bacteria deep into the joints and tissue, where there is a perfect breeding ground for infection, and advised anyone who is bitten to see a doctor, regardless of how insignificant the injury may appear.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/middleaged-women-most-at-risk-from-dangerous-cat-bites-9114068.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 18:19:46 »
Various organisations on the Peloponnese and elsewhere organising aid for Lixouri area including the Municipality of Kalamata, the city of Messina and the Holy Metropolis of Monemvasia and Sparta. Also some local initiatives.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 07 February, 2014 @ 19:47:36 »
The passport is nothing new, as historians suggest that the first time papers were used to identify an individual and request safe passage through a foreign territory, may have been around the year 450 B.C.

The modern passports that most of us possess today have been around for a far shorter time though, appearing in 1930. Often containing a photograph, signature and list of personally identifying features, they have been considered good enough for almost a hundred years.

Not now though. As technology, crime and terrorism march on, the passports of the future need to be far more secure and packed full of data in order to reduce impersonation and restrict the travel of potential ill-doers.

For many years researchers have looked for ways of improving passports and, nowadays, they generally centre around the use of biometrics.

One new and ingenious method put forward recently is the use of body odour.
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/02/07/will-passports-of-the-future-incorporate-our-body-smell/

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 08 February, 2014 @ 18:22:03 »
Middle-aged women most at risk from 'dangerous' cat bites

Middle-aged women are the group most at risk of being injured by a feline biting them on the hand, research has shown.

Sixty-nine per cent of people who require treatment for cat bites are female and the average age is 49, a Mayo Clinic study published in the Journal of Hand Surgery found.

And the study emphasised the hidden dangers of moggy bites, which are often dismissed because they appear as only tiny pinpricks on the skin.

The research found that cats can inject bacteria deep into the joints and tissue, where there is a perfect breeding ground for infection, and advised anyone who is bitten to see a doctor, regardless of how insignificant the injury may appear.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/middleaged-women-most-at-risk-from-dangerous-cat-bites-9114068.html

Yep, can certainly agree with that research, can't we Sheila!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 08 February, 2014 @ 18:42:35 »
Maybe it's just me but I thought that article could've been better written. Having a doctor check out cat bites is probably very good advice but I suspect the reason why it's mainly middle-aged (whatever that is these days) women who get more cat bites is because they've done the career-baby-family stuff and have more time available to show compassion to animals.  :dunno:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 @ 16:59:50 »
Maybe it's just me but I thought that article could've been better written. Having a doctor check out cat bites is probably very good advice but I suspect the reason why it's mainly middle-aged (whatever that is these days) women who get more cat bites is because they've done the career-baby-family stuff and have more time available to show compassion to animals.  :dunno:

Our late lamented Tommy - just went straight in for the kill from a distance.  But did seem to select middle aged women as his preferred targets!  He got two taken to A&E!!  Gave me a smallish bite just after we got him but then I learnt how to handle him.  Much missed. 

Tony