Author Topic: 30/11/18  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
30/11/18
« on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:13:43 »
Seems the roads around Paliki are to be repaired within a budget of 890,000 €. Funds coming from the Ionian Islands Regional Council (or, possibly, from the EU via the...)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 30/11/18
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:31:00 »
Southwest Airlines apologises for mocking girl's name

Traci Redford and her daughter, Abcde (pronounced ab-si-dee), were en route home to El Paso, Texas, from California's John Wayne Airport when the incident occurred.

Vocativ, a news and data website, published a piece in 2014 saying there were at that time 328 children in the US named "Abcde", according to the Social Security Administration.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

:flyer:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:34:11 »
Santa must be a man, Great Aycliffe councillors rule

Father Christmas must be a man, local councillors have decided following a vote on whether a woman could step into the role to give out sweets on a float.

The debate followed worries earlier this year the tour might have to be scrapped amid concerns about the legality of someone travelling on the back of a moving van, until Durham Chief Constable Mike Barton made an assurance Father Christmas would not be prosecuted as long as the vehicle was moving slowly.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-46389093

:x-iroll:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:39:56 »
Owner of UK's first pagan burial ground in 5,000 years told he must pay business rates as a 'storage unit'

A farmer who built the first new long barrow tomb in the UK in more than 5,000 years has been told that he must pay thousands of pounds in business rates on it.

The tomb is designed on an alignment that means the sun shines down the central chamber on the Winter Solstice, which also makes it a popular place of worship with druids and pagans.

Mr Daw says the building, which took nine months to construct, cost him around £200,000.

The long barrow is about 220ft long and 20ft tall and has stone chambers with a series of shelves, called niches, where people pay to have their loved ones' ashes stored.

It has 340 niches that can hold two or three urns and each niche carries a one-off charge of £1,000. All of the niches are now reserved, although only 40 are currently filled with urns.

Mr Daw, makes an average of £1,000 a year from the burial site, but would have to pay £5,000 a year in business rates.

Mr Daw said he has since had confirmation from a different government agency, the registrar, accepting the long barrow as a place of worship.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/29/uks-first-pagan-burial-tomb-5000-years-hit-business-rates-bill/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:41:23 »
Smart meter installations suffer sharpest drop yet as 'people refuse to have them in their homes'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/29/smart-meter-installations-suffer-sharpest-ever-drop-households/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 02:52:15 »
'UK housebuilding revolution': £65,000 prefab homes go into production
Two Yorkshire factories try to tackle housing crisis with modular two and three-bedroom homes

Experts have hailed it a revolution in British housebuilding that would slash the 40 weeks it could take to build a traditional home to just 10 days.

The factory cost of a two or three-bedroom home would be from £65,000 to £79,000, although that excludes the cost of land, on-site assembly and connecting the home to services, which could double or triple the final price.

The term prefab has been shunned by the new housebuilders. The new buzz phrase, with its connotation of low-quality, postwar emergency housing, has instead been described as “modular construction”.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/30/uk-housebuilding-revolution-65000-prefab-homes-go-into-production

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 08:32:55 »
'UK housebuilding revolution': £65,000 prefab homes go into production
Two Yorkshire factories try to tackle housing crisis with modular two and three-bedroom homes

Experts have hailed it a revolution in British housebuilding that would slash the 40 weeks it could take to build a traditional home to just 10 days.

The factory cost of a two or three-bedroom home would be from £65,000 to £79,000, although that excludes the cost of land, on-site assembly and connecting the home to services, which could double or triple the final price.

The term prefab has been shunned by the new housebuilders. The new buzz phrase, with its connotation of low-quality, postwar emergency housing, has instead been described as “modular construction”.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/30/uk-housebuilding-revolution-65000-prefab-homes-go-into-production

I always thought more could be done to relieve the housing crisis, by taking some lessons from the prefabs built shortly after the war as temporary accommodation and still in use today in some cases.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 11:46:13 »
Quite agree, Roger. When I was at primary school one of my mates lived in one. Any problems weren't with the idea/design but the materials available during the war.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 11:47:14 »
Ithaki port police yesterday arrested a tug boat captain for towing a crane out of Vathi port without prior permission.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 14:38:03 »
Quite agree, Roger. When I was at primary school one of my mates lived in one. Any problems weren't with the idea/design but the materials available during the war.

I had school mates who lived in them too. Main problem was they were very prone to condensation.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 16:02:20 »
Your mates had condensation? Damp squibs? :papa:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 17:48:20 »
Grandfather banned from US holiday after accidentally ticking 'terrorist' box on visa form
'I don’t know why that question is on the form in the first place'

Mr Stevenson mistakenly answered a question on the Esta visa form, which asked if he was a terrorist, by declaring that he was one.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/john-stevenson-us-visa-ban-terrorist-esta-form-mistake-a8660441.html

:iroll:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 17:53:34 »
Snow leopard shot dead at Dudley Zoo after escaping area

A snow leopard was shot dead after a zookeeper left the enclosure door open and it escaped.

Snow leopards are endangered and there may be as few as 4,000 left in the wild.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-46398647

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 30 November, 2018 @ 21:44:57 »

I had school mates who lived in them too. Main problem was they were very prone to condensation.
I lived in both the British and the American versions as a child. They were great. In the American one all the necessary kitchen paraphernalia folded into the walls (table, ironing board, mangle) and came fully equipped with built in cooker, fridge, "copper" etc
My parents were so pleased to move out of a bomb torn East London block of flats ("Riverside Mansions" E14) into a Prefab Estate, replete with grass and trees!!
I remember the "open all the windows" routine, every morning - so concur with the condensation observation.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 01 December, 2018 @ 14:29:09 »
Grandfather banned from US holiday after accidentally ticking 'terrorist' box on visa form
'I don’t know why that question is on the form in the first place'

Mr Stevenson mistakenly answered a question on the Esta visa form, which asked if he was a terrorist, by declaring that he was one.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/john-stevenson-us-visa-ban-terrorist-esta-form-mistake-a8660441.html

:iroll:
Obviously terrorists always tick the box.  It's a well known fact that this is the best way to detect terrorists.  Just hand 'em the Self Incrimination Questionnaire and they give themselves away every time.

On the same principle the Donald Trump Identification Questionnaire has just been launched:
Qu. 1   Are you Donald Trump?

Qu. 2   Are you a complete idiot?
Etc.

:rant:

Tony

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 01 December, 2018 @ 14:40:05 »
Owner of UK's first pagan burial ground in 5,000 years told he must pay business rates as a 'storage unit'

A farmer who built the first new long barrow tomb in the UK in more than 5,000 years has been told that he must pay thousands of pounds in business rates on it.

The tomb is designed on an alignment that means the sun shines down the central chamber on the Winter Solstice, which also makes it a popular place of worship with druids and pagans.

Mr Daw says the building, which took nine months to construct, cost him around £200,000.

The long barrow is about 220ft long and 20ft tall and has stone chambers with a series of shelves, called niches, where people pay to have their loved ones' ashes stored.

It has 340 niches that can hold two or three urns and each niche carries a one-off charge of £1,000. All of the niches are now reserved, although only 40 are currently filled with urns.

Mr Daw, makes an average of £1,000 a year from the burial site, but would have to pay £5,000 a year in business rates.

Mr Daw said he has since had confirmation from a different government agency, the registrar, accepting the long barrow as a place of worship.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/29/uks-first-pagan-burial-tomb-5000-years-hit-business-rates-bill/
Actually it's still a nice little urn-er.  340 niches all reserved is £340K less £220K construction cost..

:unsure:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, 01 December, 2018 @ 16:12:28 »
Actually it's still a nice little urn-er.

:doh:  :oki:

Well, he might have found a niche in the market (or 340 of 'em), think I might opt for pushing up a few trees.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 01 December, 2018 @ 16:18:07 »
I remember the "open all the windows" routine, every morning

Ah, yes, quite a few homes on Kef like that, although not all due to condensation - part rising damp, part damp seeping through the breeze blocks / flat roofs