Author Topic: 03/02/16  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
03/02/16
« on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 12:09:36 »
BT apologises after nationwide broadband failures

BT has apologised after "several hundred thousand" UK customers had their broadband services cut off.

Down detector, a website that monitors internet failures, reported thousands of cases, including in Glasgow, London, Birmingham and Sheffield.

At about 23:00 GMT BT said it was confident services had been "fully restored" but that some customers might need to reboot equipment.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35472198

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 03/02/16
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 12:39:57 »

Can You Solve This Complex Riddle About Escaping a Cursed Temple?

The goal is simple, you need to escape a collapsing tunnel with a group of nine people (including yourself). It’s all the other variables that confuse things.

There are four potential exit tunnels but only one of them is actually the way out. Each tunnel is a 20 minute walk one way and another 20 minute walk back. You have an hour to get out. Ideally, you can send different groups into the tunnels and then meet back at the junction to know which way is the exit.

But! Two of the people in your group may be lying (or may not be! you don’t know if they are or who they are), so what combination of people do you send down the people to guarantee your group’s exit?

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 13:27:56 »

Can You Solve This Complex Riddle About Escaping a Cursed Temple?

The goal is simple, you need to escape a collapsing tunnel with a group of nine people.

There are four potential exit tunnels but only one of them is the way out. Each tunnel is a 20 minute walk one way and another 20 minute walk back. You have an hour to get out. Ideally, you can send different groups into the tunnels and then meet back at the junction to know which way is the exit.

But! Two of the people in your group may be lying (or may not be! you don’t know if they are or who they are), so what combination of people do you send down the people to guarantee your group’s exit?

mmmm....i'm struggling, but here's how far i've got at the moment

You only have to check 3 tunnels - what you find there determines 4th tunnel status
You can check one tunnel on your own
You can send a group of 5 to check another - if the liars are among them, they'll be outnumbered
That leaves a group of 3 - and of course the chance the two liars are in this group

So, ask the members of the group of 5 who was lying, and thereby determine the voracity of the group of 3?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 14:05:23 »
Sounds good so far, pretty much the way I was thinking. I don't think it matters who was lying, just the numbers, i.e. if 4/5 say one thing and the 1/5 says another... one is lying. That suggests there's a liar left in the other group, but... two may lie, but they may not. Hm, not sure if that helps...

:dunno:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 14:18:26 »
... two may lie, but they may not. Hm, not sure if that helps...

:hmm: Think it does  :unsure:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 @ 18:45:27 »
Rat in Trowbridge pub 'ran up man's leg and stole chip'
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-35484085