The Agora > Greek History & Culture

Books about Greece

<< < (3/21) > >>

Maik:
#11 jayforbes. Posted 14-09-2012 @ 18:26

Well what a storm, hope everyones properties are ok.

I too have read a couple of the mentioned books: the Paul Johnston - Crying Blue Murder is excellent - I read it in a remote part of Crete and cetainly I was looking over my shoulder on those walks to the only taverna in the dark quiet village, I have The Last Red Death ready for a winter read - I don't want it to fall apart in the sun !!! With Crete in mind another excellent read is Caron's Children it was hard to get hold of and my copy is in UK so I'm not sure of author or ISBN. The story is an unusal account of Spinalonga I beleive very factual yet still fictional. The House of Dust and Dreams by Brenda Reid is a good ladies read but not too 'girly'.

A couple of good Greek language reference books if learning Greek are A Basic Grammar of Modern Greek ISBN 960-12-1105-5 M.Tsiotsiou-Moore, well set out and easy to follow, and also same author Compendium of 850 Modern Greek Verbs ISBN 978-960-12-1617-1 really useful if studying the language. I bought mine from Amazon.

Will be looking out for the other book recommended. Good reading to you.

Maik:
#12 TonyKath. Posted 14-09-2012 @ 18:59

Thanks Collywobble - have just downloaded a sample of North of Ithaca to my Kindle. Looks interesting. May need a bit of time to recover from reading Eleni first, though!!

So many suggestions here now it's hard to keep up with them! Good job the thread is pinned - so I can come back and check out some of the titles over the winter.

Thanks everybody - didn't think the thread would be this popular.

Tony

Maik:
#13 jeanskala. Posted 24-09-2012 @ 12:09

A couple more for you:-

The Roads of Cefalonia by Helen Cosmetatos

Helen Cosmetatos was curator of the Corgialenios Museum and compiled a fascinating guide to the history of the roads of Kefalonia, the work being dedicated to the memory of Charles James Napier (Resident on Kefalonia 1825).

ISBN 960-90220-0-6: Available in local book shops and at the museum.

Point and Counter Point by Nicholas Enessee

Two stories run in parallel - the history of the island of Kefalonia and that of a remarkable woman, Nicholas's mother, Helen Cosmetatos, who had landed on Cephalonia from England in the middle of the war, armed only with her violin. The narration, which makes liveral use of her witty diaries, follows her as she experienced, and empathized with, the plight of the common people and, through her direct actions, became for many a beacon of hope and a safe haven.

ISBN number - 960-87338-5-5: Available from local bookshops and from the Gentilini Wine Estate shop during the summer months.

Maik:
#14 Alan. Posted 28-10-2012 @ 17:30

Hi Paul, just finished the book. Really enjoyed the earthquake narrative, and the description of present day Kef were enough to whet my appetite for next year! Worth the £2.99 on Kindle for that alone. Keep writing.

Maik:
#15 kefman. Posted 29-10-2012 @ 23:23

For anyone who has ever had a house built in Greece or is planning to have a house built then John Humphrys "Blue skies and Black olives" is a must. It is interesting and funny and so very very true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version