The Agora > Holidays in Hellas

Train tours

(1/2) > >>

Maik:

--- Quote ---Visitors to Greece will as of next year be able to book train tour packages covering prime tourist destinations of the country, according to Greek daily Kathimerini.

The tours...  will include three primary destinations: the Peloponnese, southern Greece, Pelion in central Greece, and Kalavryta, western Greece.

Of particular interest is the tour along the historic gauge rack Diakofto–Kalavryta railway. It runs a 22km route from the village of Zachlorou to Kalavryta with a steam engine named “Moutzouris”, dating back to 1860, currently undergoing maintenance and expected to be running next month.
--- End quote ---
http://news.gtp.gr/2014/11/11/train-tour-packages-next-big-thing-greek-travel/

Rog organised a great day trip to Kalavryta a few years back - spectacular rail ride, well worth the visit.

TonyKath:
Does the train still run to Sparta and Kalamata or did the line get the chop a couple of years back?  The decription in Kevin Andrews' journey in the early 50's in The Flight of
Ikaros is amazing.

Tony

Maik:
Not sure, Tony. Last time I was in Kalamata was quite a few years back, station was still there but, if I recall, had been moved from the dock area to a little further back along the line. Seem to think the line got the Beeching treatment a few years back, here's a quote from Wikipedia:

--- Quote ---Kalamata is served by a metre gauge railway line of the former Piraeus, Athens and Peloponnese Railways, now owned by the Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE). There is a station and a small freight yard in the city, as well as a rolling stock maintenance depot to the north. There used to be a mainline train service to Kyparissia, Pyrgos and Patras, and a suburban service to Messini and the General Hospital. However in December 2010 all train services from Kalamata, along with those in the rest of the Peloponnese south of Corinth, were discontinued on economic grounds, and the train station is now closed. A previously disused extension line to the port is now a Railway Park, with old steam engines on display and a cafe in the old station building.
--- End quote ---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalamata#Transportation

Colleywobble:
Some years ago we went on a day trip when staying on the Pelion on a beautiful old steam train. It was only a short journey but the scenery was spectacular as the Pelion is very steep and the journey clung to the mountainside. I think it had originally been used way back to bring quarried materials to Volos but this version used renovated beautiful old coaches in special woods and brass finishes .A day to remember! To anyone who has never been to Pelion its a lovely area and even boasts Skiing in Winter. Also not too far to travel to Meteora, another must do. Totally unspoiled and beautiful scenery, almost Alpine villages rich in every kind of fruit tree especially cherry and plums. In Autumn it is wonderful for the colour of the trees especially the Chestnut and Walnut trees. Beautiful  beaches on the Aegean side ,one was used in the filming of Mama Mia.

TonyKath:
That seems pretty much like the chop to me, Maik. Shame.

Pelion sounds triffic, Colley.  Every now and then I have a think about going more off the standard tourist trail in Greece. 

We do "city breaks" occasionally.  It wouldn't be so easy with Greece given that flights would only really be possible to Athens not travelling on a package - although Monarch are moveing to scheduled only fllights next year.  Preveza would be good giving access to Yannina and Zagora.  Anyone got any suggestions for short breaks, (not beach) in Greece??  How easy would it be planning bus transport in advance or would it be better to hire a car. 

Tony

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version