Author Topic: 13/02/16  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
13/02/16
« on: Saturday, 13 February, 2016 @ 01:14:24 »
Google is shutting down Picasa on May 1, 2016

Google today announced it is shutting down Picasa in less than three months. The company is asking Picasa users to try Google Photos for all their picture needs.

Picasa Web Albums and the Picasa Web Albums Data API will continue working as normal until May 1, 2016. After that, users will only be able to view their photos.

Google will stop supporting the Picasa desktop application sooner: on March 15, 2016. But if you have already have the software, it should continue to function — there just won’t be new updates anymore.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/12/google-is-shutting-down-picasa-on-may-1-2016/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 13/02/16
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 13 February, 2016 @ 01:37:39 »
Sounds as though work on the Drepano /de Bosset / whatever it's called this year bridge may be completed soon, looks like old-fashioned lighting columns have been installed on the bridge, narrows the width down a bit and suggests it won't be open to motor vehicles - except, er, I'm sure the mopeds will manage to whizz along it.

Offline kef97

• Bronze Medalist
Re: 13/02/16 Picasa Shutting Down
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 13 February, 2016 @ 17:25:52 »
Can't believe Google are closing down Picasa! Have used this for many years to manage my pics, make CDs, make Web Albums etc.
Has anyone any suggestions as to an EASY to use alternatve

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 13/02/16 Picasa Shutting Down
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 13 February, 2016 @ 18:12:55 »
Can't believe Google are closing down Picasa! Have used this for many years to manage my pics, make CDs, make Web Albums etc.
Has anyone any suggestions as to an EASY to use alternatve

Sounds like once you have downloaded the software, you can continue to use the editing functions. It just won't be supported online any more.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 13 February, 2016 @ 18:56:21 »
Like Rog says, Picasa installed on your PC will still work OK but won't get any more development. By the sound of it, it works well enough as it is and any 'improvements' they might've made in future would likely just be bells and whistles you don't need /won't use. E.g. MS Office 2003 still functions OK.

Way I read it, if you use Picasa Web Album all your pics will automatically be copied to the new(-ish) Google Photos - *might* be worth giving it a try.

Although it does seems very good, Picasa isn't something I've used much so I can't say what might be a good alternative, possibly something mentioned here: Best Free Digital Photo Organizer or Best Free Digital Image Viewer.

I've used DigiKam, IrfanView, XnView, Faststone and they're OK, just depends what you're looking for. Don't think any of these have Web Albums, though.

Might be worth seeing what Google say, and keeping an eye on there for new developments: Picasa blog

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 14 February, 2016 @ 09:09:52 »
I sometimes use Picasa for editing, but as Maik says, there are loads of free alternatives. I find Flickr is great for storing web albums and you can share them with friends and family if you want to.