Author Topic: 18/01/22  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
18/01/22
« on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 02:48:48 »
Sixty five new cases of coronavirus confirmed on Kefalonia yesterday by EODY, five  on Ithaka.

Today's bank rate:
1 GBP = € 1.1617
1 USD = € 0.8514

Based on Alpha Bank exchange rates, these are widely used by exchange agencies in Greece.
Other banks likely to offer a different rate which may be marginally higher or lower.
Banks and foreign exchange offices normally charge standard 2% commission.
You may get a better rate changing your holiday money in advance at e.g the
Post Office.
NB: some f-ex agencies advertise "No Commission".
Invariably, they deduct commission before they (don't) advertise the rate.
Foreign exchange offices are businesses, not charities.

Ten day weather forecast for Kefalonia:
This is an overall forecast, due to the mountainous terrain the weather can be very localised.
Updated forecast @
weather.com

Day, Date   Hi°/Lo°   Wind sp   Wet   Forecast
Tue 18/01   14°/06°   22 km/h   03%   Sunny
Wed 19/01   12°/08°   12 km/h   01%   Sunny
Thu 20/01   14°/10°   14 km/h   56%   Showers probable
Fri 21/01   14°/07°   23 km/h   79%   Light rain probable
Sat 22/01   09°/03°   36 km/h   56%   Showers & strong winds probable
Sun 23/01   08°/04°   18 km/h   19%   Mostly sunny
Mon 24/01   08°/04°   19 km/h   19%   Sun & cloud
Tue 25/01   08°/05°   16 km/h   19%   Mostly sunny
Wed 26/01   10°/06°   15 km/h   12%   Sun & cloud
Thu 27/01   11°/08°   14 km/h   23%   Sun & cloud

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 18/01/22
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 03:05:54 »
Dominic Cummings says PM was told No 10 garden party ‘broke the rules’ but said it should go ahead
Email sent by ‘very senior official’ will show prime minister ‘lied to parliament’ ex-chief aide claims

Dominic Cummings says evidence will show Boris Johnson “lied to parliament” when he denied knowing about the No 10 garden party, plunging his position deeper into jeopardy.

An email sent by “a very senior official” warned the “bring your own booze” event broke Covid rules, the exiled former chief aide claims – blowing apart the prime minister’s defence that he thought it was “a work event”.

In an explosive blog post, Mr Cummings wrote: “Not only me but other eyewitnesses who discussed this at the time would swear under oath this is what happened.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-10-party-boris-johnson-lockdown-b1994817.html

Still tricky to believe dodgy Dominic, evidence would substantiate what he's claiming.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 03:07:48 »
Braintree missing cat found after owner hears meow on vet's phone

A cat missing for eight months has been reunited with its owner after she recognised his familiar meow on the other end of the telephone while on a call to her vet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-60030533

:)

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 11:23:41 »

Still tricky to believe dodgy Dominic, evidence would substantiate what he's claiming.
Cummings has long declared it his aim to get Johnson removed frim office, as retribution for his summary dismissal.
The newspapers don't make this clear when they repeat Cummings' drip, drip, drip of accusations.

Personally I don't get it

The so called "parties" appear to be amongst people already gathered at work.
They would be drinking tea, coffee, water...
But when the wine glasses come out instead...Boom!

Even the alleged email inviting people to "bring booze" appears to have been to those already gathered working in the office.

I've worked places where the tea trolley, come Friday lunchtime, became the booze trolley. It happens. It's part of (some) office life

All the claims I've read are in respect of this group of already gathered office workers.
That puts the Party claims into context for me, even with the "into the early hours" added emphasis.

When does a drink in the office become A Party? When the radio's turned on? When the pizza delivery arrives? When someone shouts out a joke?

(Yes, I know - "Politics" - but just attempting to inject a bit of balance)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 16:14:00 »
Yes, actually I agree with you. If it was just people working together staying a bit late and having pizza and plonk together after work, well, where's the harm? I don't actually see any.

But I gather it's not just people who work in the same physical office space, e.g. it would be a big office to have 100 invites issued. Similarly, Carrie Symonds is clearly identified in the garden party photo and she's not an employee.

Here's a quote from ITV News website:

Two Downing Street parties are alleged to have been held the night before the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral in April last year, while the country was in a period of national mourning and mass indoor social mixing was still barred, The Telegraph reports.

It was said that advisers and civil servants gathered after work for two separate events to mark the departure of James Slack, Boris Johnson’s former director of communications, and one of the PM’s personal photographers.

The two parties later merged together and had 30 people in attendance, with witnesses saying that alcohol was drunk and guests danced to music.

The key here, for me anyway, is "The two parties later merged together". Definite no-no, under the rules at the time.

I've just been watching BBC news and apparently an invite for one 'party' was sent to the entire building, so people who weren't working in the same office.

Additionally, Downing Street staff have admitted, directly or in effect, to parties having taken place. As Allegra Stratton said in her famour video clip, " "Is cheese and wine all right? It was a business meeting...and it was not socially distanced."

If I recall, that mock interview was taped four days after the party in question and Stratton was responding to a question from Ed Oldfield, a Downing Street staffer, who asked what Stratton would say if asked about a ""Downing Street party on Friday night". This was before these parties were revealed and in the news - a Downing Street staffer was describing the event as a party. And as Stratton admits, the party - sorry, "works meeting" - wasn't socially distanced.

Pretty clear they were regarded as parties by the organisers and attendees. What makes matters worse is Johnson's handling of the matter. He isn't credible, he's revealed himself - as when he supported Cummings - to regard himself and his cronies above the laws his government makes for the rest of us. He's now widely seen as a liar intent on saving his own neck no matter at what cost to people loyal to him.

Fortunately for the Conservative Party there's far better leaders waiting in the wings.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 16:24:09 »
Boris Johnson has "categorically" denied lying to Parliament when telling MPs he believed he was attending a work event, when he was actually at an organised drinks party.

"Nobody told me that what we were doing was against the rules, that the event in question was something that ... was not a work event, and as I said in the House of Commons when I went out into that garden I thought that I was attending a work event."
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-18/no-10-denies-cummings-claim-pm-knew-about-lockdown-drinks-party

"Nobody told me that what we were doing was against the rules". Not only laughable but quite possibly a lie. Another lie, that is.

"when I went out into that garden I thought that I was attending a work event." Use your eyes, man. Piss ups in the garden a regular feature of working life at No 10?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 16:35:59 »
Mass hamster cull in Hong Kong after positive Covid tests at pet shop

Hong Kong authorities are culling 2,000 small animals, including hamsters, after several of the rodents tested positive for coronavirus at a pet store where an infected employee was working.
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-18/hong-kong-to-cull-hamsters-after-positive-covid-tests-at-pet-shop

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 21:15:27 »
Coronavirus on Kef (and Ithaki) today: 61/6

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 21:19:46 »
Woman, 76, who grew up in a wealthy family but wanted to escape the UK class system reveals she poured her inheritance into buying a 300-year-old farm house in Greece where she runs an animal rescue centre

When Ben Fogle visited her for tonight's episode of New Lives in the Wild at 9pm on Channel 5, he discovered that all of Sandy's time and money goes into looking after 25 dogs, 20 cats, eight donkeys, and a horse that live with her on the 300-year-old farm she bought with her savings.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10411189/Heiress-76-left-life-comfort-UK-look-50-rescue-animals-Greece.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 21:38:04 »
‘World’s largest potato’ to get DNA testing in Scotland

A piece of what is thought to be the world’s biggest potato is set to undergo DNA testing in Scotland.

Dug the Potato, as it has been named, weighs 7.9kg and was found on a small farm near Hamilton, New Zealand.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/worlds-largest-potato-dna-testing-scotland-b1995218.html

Pic in link

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 21:52:06 »
Three people on Kef fined yesterday for non-compliance re masks.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 22:06:36 »
Boris Johnson interrogated by Line of Duty's AC12 in brilliant Led By Donkeys clip

JED Mercurio has shared a video that appears to show the cast of Line of Duty interrogating Boris Johnson over Downing Street parties during the Covid pandemic.

The video has already been viewed nearly half a million times on Twitter after being posted for just a few hours.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/19856020.boris-johnson-interrogated-line-dutys-ac12-brilliant-led-donkeys-clip/

Video in link above, well worth watching.

Edit: video clip at https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1483418498944671746/video/1
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 @ 22:44:21 by Maik »