Author Topic: 23/04/25  (Read 2242 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
23/04/25
« on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 02:55:28 »
Ημέρα του Αγίου Γεωργίου (celebrated in Greece on 25 April this year due to Paska)

Twenty one new coronavirus cases confirmed on Kefalonia yesterday by EODY, one on Ithaka

Today’s bank rates:
1 €UR = £ 0.8545 GBP
1 €UR = $ 1.1155 USD
£1 GBP = 1.1703 €UR
$1 USD = 0.8965 €UR

Based on Alpha Bank exchange rates, these are widely used by exchange agencies in Greece.
Other banks likely to offer a different rate which may be marginally higher or lower.
Banks and foreign exchange offices normally charge standard 2% commission.
You may get a better rate changing your holiday money in advance at e.g the
Post Office.
NB: some f-ex agencies advertise "No Commission".
Invariably, they deduct commission before they (don't) advertise the rate.
Foreign exchange offices are businesses, not charities.

Ten day weather forecast for Kefalonia:
This is an overall forecast, due to the mountainous terrain the weather can be very localised.
Updated forecast @
weather.com

Day, Date   Hi°/Lo°   Wind sp   Wet   Forecast
Sat 23/04   19°/13°   13 km/h   21%   Sun & cloud
Sun 24/04   21°/13°   14 km/h   14%   Mostly sunny
Mon 25/04   22°/14°   13 km/h   10%   Mostly sunny
Tue 26/04   22°/14°   16 km/h   08%   Sunny
Wed 27/04   23°/14°   15 km/h   08%   Sunny
Thu 28/04   23°/15°   14 km/h   07%   Mostly sunny
Fri 29/04   22°/15°   13 km/h   07%   Sun & cloud
Sat 30/04   22°/15°   12 km/h   07%   Sun & cloud
Sun 01/05   21°/14°   15 km/h   24%   Sun & cloud
Mon 02/05   20°/14°   18 km/h   10%   Sun & cloud

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 23/04/25
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 03:03:14 »
Strange story regarding the Actors' Benevolent Fund and leading trustees - including Dame Penelope Keith, James Bolam, Brian Murphy and Dame Siân Phillips - having their trusteeships terminated in a 'coup' in Private Eye

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 03:15:01 »
In the UK the leading causes of death of children and teenagers are cancer and accidents, in the USA it's guns and car crashes: BBC News

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 13:46:57 »
Ex-royal marine working with Greece to tackle crimes that impact holidaymakers

A former Merseyside royal marine is leading the way in helping the Greek authorities to improve on how to respond to gender-based violence in their country... a group of Greek delegates arrived in the UK earlier this month to attend workshops with police officers from the Met, Bedfordshire and Scotland.

The visit comes almost a year after British national, Caroline Crouch, was killed in front of her 11-month-old baby daughter. Husband Babis Anagnostopoulos is currently on trial accused of murder after claiming the family had been targeted by burglars.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is funding the visits with the aim of improving the support offered to British nationals reporting gender-based violence in Greece. FCDO figures showed that almost 1,000 British nationals reported being raped or sexually assaulted between 2016 and 2018. In the three years from the start of 2016 to the end of 2018, most sexual assaults happened in Spain where at least 218 were reported, whereas in Greece, there were at least 74.

UK consular staff supported 57 rape or sexual assault cases over a two year period, with British victims reporting concerns about how Greek authorities responded in a number of cases.

British victims have been calling for the right to give evidence by video link to avoid the trauma of re-visiting the country where they were attacked. The UK Government is encouraging their Greek counterparts to look in to setting up the country’s first dedicated sexual assault referral centre.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/ex-royal-marine-working-greece-23749461

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 14:07:02 »
Life on a small island:

‘The island lives in hope’: Alderney out to end 102-year wait for win

One hundred and two years of hurt. Alderney’s losing streak in the Muratti Vase, the annual tournament to decide the champion of the Channel Islands between themselves, Jersey and Guernsey, is something to behold. Their Muratti triumph in 1920 is not just the last time they won the competition, it’s the last time they won a match in it.

Not that it is a particularly fair fight, with Jersey’s population of 112,000 and Guernsey’s 68,000 dwarfing the 1,800 on Alderney.

Since the famous 1920 win, Alderney have scored 39 goals, and conceded 462 in the fixture.

As the smallest island of only three square miles, Alderney alternate between playing Jersey and Guernsey in a home semi-final, with the winner facing the other team in the final. With 25 miles to Guernsey and 35 miles to Jersey the only feasible way to travel between each island is by an unreliable ferry or an expensive aeroplane.

It is a problem that blights the domestic season. Alderney also compete as a club side on a weekly basis but every opponent is based in Guernsey. “An average away day costs the club close to £1,700,” Atkins says.

There cannot be many places in the British Isles where it is more difficult to organise a game of football. Last season there were six home games and 16 away, costing more than £25,000. There are no Football Association grants to subsidise this, with money raised through annual player subs (a princely £700 each) and fundraising: club membership, player and match sponsors, scratchcards, raffles, programme sales.

There are further problems beneath the surface. "Until recently we had problems with rabbit holes and moles on the pitch," says Atkins. "But there was a big culling so we’re OK now. But there are no indoor training facilities, no floodlights. In the past we’ve even had car headlights and head torches to light up the pitch for training during winter."

A quarter of the island’s population, about 450 fans, are expected to turn out on Saturday, some making the mile-long train journey from town aboard a steam train with decommissioned London Underground carriages (the Channel Islands’ only railway).
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/23/the-island-lives-in-hope-alderney-out-to-end-102-year-wait-for-win

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 14:22:16 »
Robot rats invented to search for survivors at disaster sites

Researchers have developed a rat in the shape of a robot that could soon be used to help search for survivors at disaster sites.

The tiny rescuer, named SQuRo (small-sized quadruped robotic rat), has been created by a team at the Beijing Institute of Technology in China.

The robot’s small size means that it would easily be able to fit through -narrow spaces and navigate a variety of terrains. It can even pick itself back up after being knocked down.
https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/robot-rat-disaster-search-rescue-v752e2154

"developed a rat in the shape of a robot" - er, is it me, or...  :unsure:

https://youtu.be/k1VW8xkaQFE?t=1

« Last Edit: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 19:28:23 by Maik »

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 16:35:48 »
Today's coronavirus count on Kef/Ithaka: 12/3
https://eody.gov.gr/covid-gr-daily-report-20220423
« Last Edit: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 16:55:19 by Maik »

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 18:16:31 »
Greece is home to more than 80% of the Eleonora’s Falcon’s (Falco eleonorae) global breeding population, which is extremely vulnerable to climate change.
https://www.birdlife.org/news/2022/04/22/natura-2000-award-2022-vote-now/

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 18:57:07 »

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 19:01:22 »
Holy Flame due to arrive from Jerusalem, via Athens, on Kef this evening around 21:20

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 20:03:32 »
Argostoli police yesterday arrested a local resident for stealing a wallet containing cash, credit cards and personal details from a shop customer.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 20:15:39 »

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 20:26:17 »
Police dog slips lead, takes football and causes chaos at Brazilian final

The first leg of Brazil's Campeonato Pernambucano final was - as a lot of finals tend to be - a tense affair. Fortunately, thanks to an unexpected intervention from a police dog, those in attendance had something to take their mind of the football for a couple of minutes... play had to be temporarily halted as the dog entered the field of play.

It quickly emerged that it dog belonged to the police and had made a break for the pitch after slipping its lead.

Clearly having the time of its life, the dog spent 30 seconds charging around between bewildered players from both sides before a police handler eventually entered the field with a lead to try and capture it.

The dog clearly had other ideas, initially evading the handler and picking up the match ball in his mouth before continuing to run rings around everyone for another minute or so.
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/police-dog-football-331409

https://youtu.be/ol_yNXrcF8A?t=1

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 21:45:17 »
Nadine Dorries says dyslexia made her muddle words in video

The culture secretary has said dyslexia caused her to mix up her words in a video that has been shared on social media.

In the TikTok video, Nadine Dorries talks about being able to "downstream" instead of download films online and refers to tennis courts as "pitches".

She said it was tough seeing commentators "mock me for something that is beyond my control".

"I have dyslexia, which means that when I speak I often run my words together."

In the video, posted on Friday by Conservative MP Luke Evans on his TikTok account, he asks the cabinet minister about what her government department does.

She tweeted on Saturday to defend herself against the criticism she faced over the terms she used in the video, saying it can be difficult finding the right expression when speaking.

In her tweet, Ms Dorries said it can be "difficult" being in front of a camera, writing a book or just speaking to a friend.

The NHS describes dyslexia as a common learning difficulty that mainly causes problems with reading, writing and spelling.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61201792

Good to know we have a government that reflects some of the realities of society: Owen Patterson jumped before he was pushed overboard for corruption, Matt Hancock was shagging outside of marriage (not that the same did BoJo any great harm), Rees-Mogg proudly (and without even realising it) revealed the UK was largest laundry of dirty Russian money, Tom Hunt hasn't got a clue where Rwanda is, Sunak's family dodge taxes, Priti Patel confuses terrorists with counter-terrorists (no big deal, she's only the Home Secretary), Dorres finds it difficult to talk coherently. We should be sympathetic to their afflictions. Including BoJo, incurable serial shagger and congenital liar.

OK, I have some sympathy for people fluffing their words, it's something I do now and again and again. But I don't tell lies.

Memo to self: must tell missus not to boil my hankies, they seem to be shrinking in't wash.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 21:49:03 by Maik »

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 22:06:59 »
Why olive oil could be ruining your finest pans - and your food
Le Creuset, John Lewis and chefs all warn it burns too quickly and damages the surface of kitchenware

No self-respecting amateur chef would get to work without a bottle of olive oil by the hob - but the country’s obsession with the ingredient is wrecking some of our favourite pans....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/23/olive-oil-could-ruining-finest-pans-food/

Um, maybe it's the pans  :dunno:

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 23 April, 2022 @ 22:57:23 »
Nadine Dorries says dyslexia made her muddle words in video

The culture secretary has said dyslexia caused her to mix up her words in a video that has been shared on social media.

In the TikTok video, Nadine Dorries talks about being able to "downstream" instead of download films online and refers to tennis courts as "pitches".

She said it was tough seeing commentators "mock me for something that is beyond my control".

"I have dyslexia, which means that when I speak I often run my words together."

In the video, posted on Friday by Conservative MP Luke Evans on his TikTok account, he asks the cabinet minister about what her government department does.

She tweeted on Saturday to defend herself against the criticism she faced over the terms she used in the video, saying it can be difficult finding the right expression when speaking.

In her tweet, Ms Dorries said it can be "difficult" being in front of a camera, writing a book or just speaking to a friend.

The NHS describes dyslexia as a common learning difficulty that mainly causes problems with reading, writing and spelling.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61201792

Good to know we have a government that reflects some of the realities of society: Owen Patterson jumped before he was pushed overboard for corruption, Matt Hancock was shagging outside of marriage (not that the same did BoJo any great harm), Rees-Mogg proudly (and without even realising it) revealed the UK was largest laundry of dirty Russian money, Tom Hunt hasn't got a clue where Rwanda is, Sunak's family dodge taxes, Priti Patel confuses terrorists with counter-terrorists (no big deal, she's only the Home Secretary), Dorres finds it difficult to talk coherently. We should be sympathetic to their afflictions. Including BoJo, incurable serial shagger and congenital liar.

OK, I have some sympathy for people fluffing their words, it's something I do now and again and again. But I don't tell lies.

Memo to self: must tell missus not to boil my hankies, they seem to be shrinking in't wash.

And of course Tony Blair started the downward trend of lying to Parliament. Gordon Brown spent (wasted) all the money in the Treasury, Calaghan said "Crisis what crisis", Wilson said "The pound in your pocket", etc, etc. Let's not forget both sides of Politics.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, 24 April, 2022 @ 00:41:44 »
Hm, if I recall, Profumo (Conservative) lied to Parliament long before Blair, but Profumo wasn't PM. There again, even though Blair was widely believed to have lied he wasn't, if I can recall that far back, officially declared to have lied. Don't know if anyone lied before Profumo but I'd be amazed if no-one had.

I'm guessing you don't follow our leaders' line too strongly, U4EA. According to Sajid Javid, Liz Truss, Michael Gove, Boris Johnson et al it's "let's move on" from what happened less than two years ago, never mind what happened when God were in short trousers and plimsolls. But then let's remember that one law for you lot, no laws for us is what this is all about.

I've never known a PM so deceitful on so many levels as Johnson. Thoroughly despicable man, I'm surprised the Conservative Party have sunk so low, he's an embarrassment to all decent Conservatives.